Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 2-1!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Exactly, as for that player they do have him but he doesn't seem to be willing to do that full speed he'll bent for leather puck retrieval all the time. He can do it because I've seen him do it, I guess for all the coin they're paying him he doesn't think it's enough for him to crash the boards on retrievals.

Can you imagine him with Sid's motor?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Is Matthews wrist still nagging him? I'm glad he's heating up again but I don't think we've seen him this heavy on netfront goals yet. Would be nice to see him keep this element of his game as a back up plan in case lanes get clogged in the playoffs again and he can't find time and space to let his shot loose.

Reactions: saffronleaf

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Can you imagine him with Sid's motor?
He'd be the one with the Hart's and Rockets and not the other guy. What's funny is even without that motor, I can still see him leading the Leafs in scoring.

His skill level is through the roof, easily on par with Draisital, Ratanen, MacKinnon, Kucherov any of those Boston guys last night, and pretty much anybody in the top 20. It's that reluctance or whatever you want to call it he plays with.

Is it too late for him to change?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
If you don’t feel like there is anything you can contribute after a good game beyond “good win”, that’s the issue. Why would we pretend that positive topics can’t be discussed at equal or greater lengths than bitching.

That's......interesting.

People could talk about what the Leafs or individual players did well, but apparently it's only bitching that's necessary? Odd take. The bitching is usually only about the GM, and how many times does that come up?

It’s wild that you believe there is nothing to say other than “great win”
"Every win is an asterisk, every loss is a referendum." Saw that on Twitter, found it clever and well representative of the Leaf world we live in today.

Because if Poster A says something considered to be critical, Posters B, C, D & E jump in to argue the point. Which leads to multiple posters providing their points of view

Where if Poster A says something complimentary, then it's doesn't result in the additional 4 posts or the additional comments.

Hence a 25 page thread vs a 10 page thread
This is also true. When there is positivity, we are more likely to agree silently, and when it is negative, more likely to clap back in argument, resulting in a higher post count.

So there are two valid sides to this.

But I think it also not just about the agreements vs. disagreements spurring higher or lower thread post counts. It's more, some doom and gloomers would never say anything positive (based on agenda or not wanting to get caught with false hope), so there aren't as many people to the party after a win, vs. comments getting more or less replies based on positive or negative tone.

Alas.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Lily is rounding form as a modern shutdown D. Smooth skating, good first pass, smart at reading plays with good gap control, strong (albeit not overly physical). I don’t see any elite skills to be a #1, however he has all the tools to be an all around solid #2. Essentially what Brodie was for Gio at the peaks of their careers.
He's turning into quite a defenseman for us, will be a top pair RHD for years to come. I'm hoping in the offseason we can be proactive and sign him long-term for relatively cheap. Something like 4.5 x 7

Others have mentioned it, but Malgin also looks good in the depth scoring role. He's generating chances at will

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
When there’s nothing to bitch about why would we bitch? How many times do you want us to say “great win, good job boys”?
Is this the part where were supposed to jump in and defend our fanship to the "real fans"?

This is also true. When there is positivity, we are more likely to agree silently, and when it is negative, more likely to clap back in argument, resulting in a higher post count.
True. Every single other forum has a more active thread after a loss.

Reactions: supermann_98

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
It’s wild that you believe there is nothing to say other than “great win”
There often is, and most often I try to make an effort to point out 3 players who stood out for me in a positive way. I just had to retort to the post saying there's a lot more venting in here after a loss. Well, yeah ... that's why I'm posting on a message board because my friends and family aren't all Leaf fanatics who wanna talk about how they played, how Holl should be fired into the sun, etc.

Let us have our venting in a group therapeutic atmosphere with many like minded individuals and not judge us for being pissed off once in awhile. We're 0-10 in playoff series clinching games the last 5 years so it's all blue skies because they beat Boston on a Saturday night? That is cause for celebrating no doubt, but let us vent without judgement when a joke team like phoenix or a hated rival like the Habs outwork this same Leafs team for a loss

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Marner's 2 assist night has to be the least impressive 2 assist night of his career. He owes Bunting and Nylander a dinner.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
While Muzzin is out and we have some roster flexibility I'd like to see
Robertson-Jarncrok-Simmonds

given a stretch of games

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Would that make you Poster B ? :D
Nope. I’ve had plenty on me for criticisms. There’s a big difference in being willing to be constructively critical versus just critical. That said, I don’t get wound up like some because at the end of the day it is grown men chasing a rubber disk….very little meaning.

Reactions: egd27

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Is Matthews wrist still nagging him? I'm glad he's heating up again but I don't think we've seen him this heavy on netfront goals yet. Would be nice to see him keep this element of his game as a back up plan in case lanes get clogged in the playoffs again and he can't find time and space to let his shot loose.

What's interesting about Matthews in the playoffs is that (out of the 139 forwards with 300+ mintutes the last 3 playoffs) he still generated the 5th highest shot rate and 4th highest individual scoring chance rate the last 3 post seasons.

How much the injury plays into it I dunno and also how much Prices crazy run, Vasy and the Jackets incredible goaltending (a historically good playoff team save % that year including setting the save record against Tampa) do as well.

He was certainly getting good chances, just not finishing as he is capable of doing which was the issue.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
What's interesting about Matthews in the playoffs is that (out of the 139 forwards with 300+ mintutes the last 3 playoffs) he still generated the 5th highest shot rate and 4th highest individual scoring chance rate the last 3 post seasons.

How much the injury plays into it I dunno and also how much Prices crazy run, Vasy and the Jackets incredible goaltending (a historically good playoff team save % that year including setting the save record against Tampa) do as well.

He was certainly getting good chances, just not finishing as he is capable of doing which was the issue.

Yeah he still seems to be getting set up now at his normal rate he's just not finding holes in the goalie like usual. It's a little crazy to be this far into the season without him beating a goalie clean from distance yet.

Playoffs I think some of it is letting the pressure get in his head and overthinking things. A half second hesitation is enough for the goalie to get set.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Yeah he still seems to be getting set up now at his normal rate he's just not finding holes in the goalie like usual. It's a little crazy to be this far into the season without him beating a goalie clean from distance yet.

Playoffs I think some of it is letting the pressure get in his head and overthinking things. A half second hesitation is enough for the goalie to get set.

Yea, that's part of it too and probably accounts for the good number of posts he has hit as well.

I don't think effort has been an issue though. His hit rate and underlying stats are crazy good.

His production still hasn't been awful overall though and hope he kills it this playoffs. Even now we're talking about him in a slump because he's only on a 41 goal PPG start.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yea, that's part of it too and probably accounts for the good number of posts he has hit as well.

I don't think effort has been an issue though. His hit rate and underlying stats are crazy good.

His production still hasn't been awful overall though and hope he kills it this playoffs. Even now we're talking about him in a slump because he's only on a 41 goal PPG start.

It's funny, his floor we complain about is the 40 goal PPG 1C we would have killed for in 2012.

Reactions: Zybalto

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Crazy how no one on the mains wants to discuss this, Leafs dominated the best team in hockey, only team to limit them to 1 goal which was a penalty shot. But no one talking about it. Leafs lost a couple and there was 10 threads.

Yeah, everybody hates the Leafs because they get all the attention. Why do the Leafs get all the attention? Because everybody who hates the Leafs flocks to the media which inturn generates revenue causing more articles and attention to be given to the Leafs.

If you're a Leaf hater, you might want to start by hating yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad