Post-Game Talk: LEAFS WIN! 2-1 in a Shootout... Thank You Reimer

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
This is prolly an unpopular opinion, but Holland really has no business being on that top line. His chemistry with them is very noticeably off. He's not great at pushing the play and making those rush passes that Kessel needs to be successful off the rush.

In fact, I'd prefer Bozak over Holland.

On the JVR pass to the goal mouth, Bozie puts that in.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
lol i dont see how reimer and bernier cant both be given long hard looks for team canada

A lot of canadian goalies are playing well right now so I wouldn't at all be surprised if neither gets a look.

Luongo, Crawford, Price, Fleury, Holtby, Harding, Mason and more along with Reimer and Bernier are all playing fantastic. At this point it's hard to go wrong with any one of them.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
reimer_reax.gif

I think that's the way we all felt after last night's game.:handclap:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Wait what? Gunnarsson was terrific all game long.

He was wasn't he.

Phaneuf and Gunnarsson played great against the Capitals top line.

I'd only split them up if Rielly is ready to move into a spot beside Phaneuf.

Two NHL coaches (1 a Cup winner) have liked the Phaneuf-Gunnarsson pairing, kind of puts some of the comments into the :shakehead category.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
On the JVR pass to the goal mouth, Bozie puts that in.

Because Bozak doesn't regularly miss tap-ins. :shakehead

He might have put it in, or he might have whiffed completely and not even touched the puck. He does that a lot.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
A lot of canadian goalies are playing well right now so I wouldn't at all be surprised if neither gets a look.

Luongo, Crawford, Price, Fleury, Holtby, Harding, Mason and more along with Reimer and Bernier are all playing fantastic. At this point it's hard to go wrong with any one of them.

League leaders from NHL.com

Rank|Goalie|Rating
Chart 1|
Canadian Goalie​
|Goals against Average
1|Ben Scrivens|1.37
2|Josh Harding|1.48
3|Brian Elliott|1.79
4|Marc-Andre Fleury|1.95
5|Carey Price|2.05
6|Martin Brodeur|2.06
7| James Reimer |2.10
8|Steve Mason|2.11
9| Jonathan Bernier |2.19
10|Roberto Luongo|2.30
Chart 2|
Canadian Goalie​
|Save Percentage
1| James Reimer |0.947
2|Ben Scrivens|0.946
3|Josh Harding|0.939
4|Carey Price|0.935
5| Jonathan Bernier |0.934
6|Steve Mason|0.933
7|Brian Elliott|0.932
8|Braden Holtby|0.925
9|Marc-Andre Fleury|0.923
10|Justin Peters|0.920

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Because Bozak doesn't regularly miss tap-ins. :shakehead

He might have put it in, or he might have whiffed completely and not even touched the puck. He does that a lot.

I agree, Holland was trying to out-muscle one of the defenseman so that he could hit the puck, he did... just a second too late and he couldn't get properly into position to tap the puck in. It's not like he outright missed a tap in, he was trying to box the defender out.

BTW, this coming from a guy who thinks Bozak is a decent player (average to slightly below average 2nd liner) and wants to see a few more games from Holland before I make a decision on him.

I wonder how well Bozak would do on a 2nd line without elite wingers (Clarkson - Bozak - MayRay?)... don't want to try it, just curious.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Couple things I was curious about watching last night.

Why was Grabovski laying on the ice when he was kicked, did he just fall?

I noticed a guy sitting behind the Leaf net in a Hab shirt. Was he lost or just confused?

Mr Scarface*

Our team is the hardest and we get points almost everytime. Carlyle that great. Imagine how good our team is a the end of the season. We get too many points even now... it's amazing how hard carlyle, randy is. Reimer and Bernier are a duo no other wants to face in the playoffs and so is our team. People are really talking... they say that other team's players are hurt and bruised after playing against our squad. Our team handles them hard.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

I noticed a guy sitting behind the Leaf net in a Hab shirt. Was he lost or just confused?

I saw the Habs jersey too. Was super random.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Reimer again is proving he is a winning Goalie this year, he may be suspect handing the puck and leaving rebounds but there is no doubt he has a knack for putting up W's. There may come a time when Nonis will be tempted by another GM to deal one of our Goalies, but right now I have no problem going with Bernier and Reimer as our Goalies.

Plenty of examples of great goaltending tandems in the NHL going far. Quick-Bernier, Thomas-Rask, Luongo-Schneider.

Nothing wrong with going with Reimer-Bernier.

Don't forget the Hawks last year rolled with a Crawford-Emery split in the regular season before Crawford took the reigns in the playoffs

Definitely content with our goaltending situation .. IMO it's really helped the Leafs bounce back with wins after a loss (IIRC we're 6-1 now after a loss)

He was wasn't he.

Two NHL coaches (1 a Cup winner) have liked the Phaneuf-Gunnarsson pairing, kind of puts some of the comments into the :shakehead category.

That's why I'm content with a Gunnar-Phaneuf pairing in the short term because it's been effective ... I'd love to upgrade Franson with a player like Bieksa that can log tougher minutes and be more reliable in a top 4 role .. Gardiner is really impressing me defensively and is ready to shoulder the load but he needs a more capable partner

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
He was wasn't he.

And the way Morgan's been developing, it could happen sooner rather than later. In fact, it's not even fair to call it development as he seems to be absorbing and processing the ridiculous amount data coming his way, whether it be from the coaching staff or observing teammates. That trip to the presser was huge for him to evaluate his role on the team.

He's come leaps and bounds from the kid we saw a mere 20 games ago.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

I guess it's different because my tickets were in the upper section, but I saw quite a few non-leaf non-sen jerseys when I went to the Leaf-Ott home-opener. Washington Kolzig jersey was the seat in front of me, I think I saw a habs jersey, and I believe a pens jersey.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
League leaders from NHL.com

Rank|Goalie|Rating
Chart 1|
Canadian Goalie​
|Goals against Average
1|Ben Scrivens|1.37
2|Josh Harding|1.48
3|Brian Elliott|1.79
4|Marc-Andre Fleury|1.95
5|Carey Price|2.05
6|Martin Brodeur|2.06
7| James Reimer |2.10
8|Steve Mason|2.11
9| Jonathan Bernier |2.19
10|Roberto Luongo|2.30
Chart 2|
Canadian Goalie​
|Save Percentage
1| James Reimer |0.947
2|Ben Scrivens|0.946
3|Josh Harding|0.939
4|Carey Price|0.935
5| Jonathan Bernier |0.934
6|Steve Mason|0.933
7|Brian Elliott|0.932
8|Braden Holtby|0.925
9|Marc-Andre Fleury|0.923
10|Justin Peters|0.920

Yeah, all those guys :laugh: Goaltending seemed to be Canada's weak link coming into the Olympics, it's starting to look like a strength.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

Grabo tripped and fell into Clarkson's skate just at the back of Clarkson's stride.

I noticed the Habs guy too. His reactions during the shootout made it pretty obvious that he just came to the game to cheer against the Leafs. Hope he enjoyed his trip home on the fail train.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
I guess it's different because my tickets were in the upper section, but I saw quite a few non-leaf non-sen jerseys when I went to the Leaf-Ott home-opener. Washington Kolzig jersey was the seat in front of me, I think I saw a habs jersey, and I believe a pens jersey.
Well Kolzig was a Leaf for half a season :sarcasm:

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
So now Reimer is has a team best save percentage and goals against average.

That used to mean something, but I suppose now it is irrelevant?

Wasn't trying to make a point, just thought it was interesting to see all those Leaf products at the to there.

In Scriven's case, I think his numbers are a bit inflated by the teams he would play against (and the team in front of him,) but Rask and Reimer fully deserve to be at the top.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I've seen it at games as well, never understood why anyone would do that. I don't think some realize that it is possible to attend a game without wearing a jersey.

Grabo tripped and fell into Clarkson's skate just at the back of Clarkson's stride.

I noticed the Habs guy too. His reactions during the shootout made it pretty obvious that he just came to the game to cheer against the Leafs. Hope he enjoyed his trip home on the fail train.

Yeah I saw him get kicked but it was never clear how he ended up on the ice. I know he used to fall a lot when he played here, guess he still has that problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad