Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs. Panthers Game 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
In game #1 the Leafs gave away WAY TOO MANY great scoring chances to the Panthers team and forced Sammy into making some incredible saves.

Hopefully the Leafs can play a better and structured defensive game with less HDSC for the Cats. I realize Florida has a speedy and aggressive attack that causes turnovers as Boston found out the hard way, but Leafs need a different game plan to counterattack.

Loved the Leafs backbone and push back against against a physical team into not being bullied and finishing their own checks but several times players like McCabe and Schenn went out of their ways to lay the body which then created defensive breakdowns on position loss that lead to Panthers scoring changes.

This Florida game plan reminds me of the Columbus series in the past with their aggressive forecheck that gave the Leafs problems and lead to lot of OZ possession time and opportunities.

Look for smarter game plan from the Leafs and being able to carry the plan and tie the series at 1.

Go Leafs Go !!
Yep, they basically did the same thing they did vs TB in game 1, went for a ton of big hits to try to make a 'statement', and forgot the defensive side of the game, and abandoned the goalie... again.

best way to make a statement is to win the game handily!

Leafs player need to control the puck more, as their entire game looked like they were a 1/2 second out of sync, either rushing, or too slow in game 1.

...ah, and we need to Fire Keefe!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yes, we had lots of chances, and I think we should be fine this game, game one wasn’t a disaster or anything. We still have up too many high danger chances to Florida, and need to cut down on them.
Yup, lets make Sammy's job easier by playing a more disciplined and structured game as opposed to exchange high quality scoring chances and hoping you come out on top.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Generally when your team is giving up quality HDSC and they end up in your net and you lose the game, many people are able to connect the logical dots of Leafs downfall.
Hey, what if we gave up less HDSC that might help?
Others think hey Leafs had their own HDSC so that solves Leafs giving up too many.
Generally, when your team is holding their opponent to 5 less quality HDSC than their average, and 2 less than a generational Boston team held them to, but there's a 0.867 vs. 0.625 discrepancy in HDSV%, many people are able to connect the dots of the Leaf's loss in game #1.

Every team would always love to and strives to give up less HDSCs, but every team does give up HDSCs, and we did pretty well with that. It's not why we lost.
It has nothing to do with "Leafs had their own HDSC so that solves Leafs giving up too many", which is pretty clear in the message you quoted.

Reactions: authentic and Kurtz

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Some Leaf fans forgot or likely don't know that Sergei Bobrovsky has 2 Vezina trophies in his past that most recent one in 2017. So while he can be highly volatile in his play he has also shown he has ability to steal games when he is on his game.

I don't think exchanging HDSC in this series is going to be the recipe for success ... The Leafs have to crash the crease, with lots of screens and traffic to knock him off his game and get pucks into that crease area and score dirty and greasy goals in close in this series.

Based on the physical play of game #1 it looks like this series is going to be won in the trenches and players better be prepared to get down to some hard work.
Yep this is playoff hockey fast and nasty .. everyone has to get onboard and do their bit .. if we play right side of puck we will slow down Cats forwards and make it a grit grinder game with some skilled plays here and there when da chance arrives . in that kinda game Cats have a very little chance to win .. we can't get into a track race as we will lose it .. but we can and will win da grit grinding game with a few skilled plays at net front

Reactions: geo25 and IPS

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yep, they basically did the same thing they did vs TB in game 1, went for a ton of big hits to try to make a 'statement', and forgot the defensive side of the game, and abandoned the goalie... again.

best way to make a statement is to win the game handily!

Leafs player need to control the puck more, as their entire game looked like they were a 1/2 second out of sync, either rushing, or too slow in game 1.
We 're on the same page here. Loved the physical pushback but when its forced and you lose defensive position doing it there are consequences for those actions.

There were several easy examples of players like McCabe dealing out a big hit, building going wild, but it resulted in an odd man rush and even goal against.

For the first time in a long time thanks to the TD additions mostly, the Leafs can no longer be bullied or intimidated into submission, we have the players willing and able to give back as much as they get. However it looked like the Leafs got played in terms of timing and retaliation as to when the safest time for issuing payback or trying to match the opposition.

Game #1 was an exciting and physical game the way real hockey should be played, but Sammy was forced to make some 10 bell saves in addition to the goals against, because of Leafs loose play at times getting too focused on hitting or too aggressive attacking and pinching that it exposed Leafs speed and defense in the process.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What story did they write? They have won nothing yet people are still praising them 30 years after. It's just so weird that Mess wants a hero like Dougie when literally a few days ago our captain IN THE PRESENT have scored a series clinching OT goal.
Like come on. I'm just so freaking tired about hearing that team like they are heroes, that high stick and so on. Live in the goddamn present and appreciate todays team.

p.s.: I love Gilmour as well as Clark and appreciate what they did, but this mentallity about living in the past and still praising a team from 30 years ago which literally won nothing just like this team today is so sad.

Maybe a playoff run looks and feels different to a little kid than as an adult, but if our Big 4 elevated to the emotion and compete level of a Gilmour Clark in 1993 and 1994, we’d feel it in a way that hasn’t quite happened yet even though that first round vs Tampa ranks right up there.

That said, our skill ratio is much higher in 2023 than it ever was in 1993, so this team should be relying more on the execution of skill side of the game than having to grit and grind out every moment and have to at emotion factor always kick in. We just have to play at a high level commensurate to the skill.

Reactions: Mess and ACC1224

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Some Leaf fans forgot or likely don't know that Sergei Bobrovsky has 2 Vezina trophies in his past that most recent one in 2017. So while he can be highly volatile in his play he has also shown he has ability to steal games when he is on his game.

I don't think exchanging HDSC in this series is going to be the recipe for success ... The Leafs have to crash the crease, with lots of screens and traffic to knock him off his game and get pucks into that crease area and score dirty and greasy goals in close in this series.

Based on the physical play of game #1 it looks like this series is going to be won in the trenches and players better be prepared to get down to some hard work.

Leafs need to respect the Bob threat and have a tailored approach to his game. Starts with the crease crashing, standing in his space, setting up the screens and then your shot selections will be tailored to what he does well and poorly, how Florida protects the slot, what their tendencies are. If the Leafs could add a bit of the gamesmanship like Kucherov in Sammy, I’m all for it.

Reactions: howlman

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yep this is playoff hockey fast and nasty .. everyone has to get onboard and do their bit .. if we play right side of puck we will slow down Cats forwards and make it a grit grinder game with some skilled plays here and there when da chance arrives . in that kinda game Cats have a very little chance to win .. we can't get into a track race as we will lose it .. but we can and will win da grit grinding game with a few skilled plays at net front
The Panthers attack did expose the Leafs speed at times that many Leaf fans noticed was an issue when you don't maintain puck control or defensive structure.

Both teams were coming off adrenaline rush highs of playoff series wins with the game being played at such a high tempo. I expect today to more controlled and structured and more grinding it out then exchanges end to end rushes. IMO

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Panthers attack did expose the Leafs speed at times that many Leaf fans noticed was an issue when you don't maintain puck control or defensive structure.

Both teams were coming off adrenaline rush highs of playoff series wins with the game being played at such a high tempo. I expect today to more controlled and structured and more grinding it out then exchanges end to end rushes. IMO

I’m expecting Toronto to push back today and Florida to stay scrappy. One thing I find is the Leafs are usually not the team with the emotional high going into any situation other than maybe having to redeem themselves for a perceived poor effort. If they have a great game it’s not like they’ll be even greater to start the next one. They’re like the anti-Carolina in that respect.

Reactions: authentic

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs need to respect the Bob threat and have a tailored approach to his game. Starts with the crease crashing, standing in his space, setting up the screens and then your shot selections will be tailored to what he does well and poorly, how Florida protects the slot, what their tendencies are. If the Leafs could add a bit of the gamesmanship like Kucherov in Sammy, I’m all for it.
Never underestimate an opponent or it will cost you. We all know this has been a Leaf trap in the past of playing down to the opposition and not giving enough respect to their opponent.

Many people mock goalie Bob contract and predicted Panthers struggle and decline under the weight of his $10 AAV deal. However there was a time when he was an UFA and earned that contract based on winning the Vezina (deemed as best goalie) at the time. However Leafs and Panthers ended up in the exact same spot in round #2 of this years playoffs. Bob beat the highly favoured Bruins 3 straight games in #5-7 in series #1 and outplayed Sammy in game #1.

Panthers love playing the underdog and underestimate card, but Leafs aren't going to win this series on skill alone, as they're players on Florida if given opportunity can also put the puck in the net and underestimating goalie Bob ability to get hot if not disrupted and screened and knocked off his game, by simply exchanges quality scoring chances will not get this successful across the finish line. IMO

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
We definitely got the advantage at forward to make this happen, Florida cannot match us #1C-#4C and Leafs have a lot of guys who are willing to crash the net unlike years prior. I don't know how many shot - tip goals we scored against Tampa but that definitely needs to be the gameplan again this series.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Maybe a playoff run looks and feels different to a little kid than as an adult, but if our Big 4 elevated to the emotion and compete level of a Gilmour Clark in 1993 and 1994, we’d feel it in a way that hasn’t quite happened yet even though that first round vs Tampa ranks right up there.

That said, our skill ratio is much higher in 2023 than it ever was in 1993, so this team should be relying more on the execution of skill side of the game than having to grit and grind out every moment and have to at emotion factor always kick in. We just have to play at a high level commensurate to the skill.

If our Big 4 played with the intensity of Gilmour and Clark, not even the physicality necessarily, but the intensity.. I'd be planning a parade right now.

This team is much more talented than the 1993-94 team, the question is: can they play as cohesively as a team and put it all out there? So far, the answer is a clear no. I hope they can find that gear.

Reactions: ToneDog

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

I don't this so Mess .. da Cats can go even faster and they will .. they were supposedly a little tired with their legs in game 1 .. my son is extremely good friends with 1 of guys on Cats .. tonight you will see Cats at full speed .. we have to slow them down to our speed with a tight grit grinding checking game and also do our best to control da puck .. if we do that then game chances both ways will be limited and our skill will figure out a way to crush their skill .. if we continue with gambling style there will be 5-6 odd man rushes per period and we will be in big trouble .. teams like Cats and Devils you can't get into a match of speed .. it cost da Bruins and it will cost us too if we try

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
We match up well against the cats. Only advantage they had in game 1 was outworking our boys. If we want it as bad as they do tonight we should be alright.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Never underestimate an opponent or it will cost you. We all know this has been a Leaf trap in the past of playing down to the opposition and not giving enough respect to their opponent.

Many people mock goalie Bob contract and predicted Panthers struggle and decline under the weight of his $10 AAV deal. However there was a time when he was an UFA and earned that contract based on winning the Vezina (deemed as best goalie) at the time. However Leafs and Panthers ended up in the exact same spot in round #2 of this years playoffs. Bob beat the highly favoured Bruins 3 straight games in #5-7 in series #1 and outplayed Sammy in game #1.

Panthers love playing the underdog and underestimate card, but Leafs aren't going to win this series on skill alone, as they're players on Florida if given opportunity can also put the puck in the net and underestimating goalie Bob ability to get hot if not disrupted and screened and knocked off his game, by simply exchanges quality scoring chances will not get this successful across the finish line. IMO

With Paul Maurice back in the building and hamming it up, this series does give me some Carolina vibes circa 2002. They had Irbe then and less skill than Florida. But it’s that scrappy underdog energy vs Toronto’s inevitability that I don’t feel comfortable with.

We can win. We should win. But our players need to be dialled in to make it happen.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Since Lalonde spilled the beans about blocked shots from the point, they've almost abandoned the tactic.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Hes a hab fan. Imagine rather going to watch a team you hate play over your favourite team?

People are weird man. Call me bitter but I hope they get heckled now.

what? I guess Kucherov calling habs fans a bunch of bitches was not enough to not make them wear bolts jerseys. thats some next level weirdness. I guess they'd rather be called bitches.

fine with me ;)

:laugh:

tkachuk imo is the key to the panthers success (3 assists last night)
they need to be on him like flys on shit….limit his time with the puck and make him make fast decisions

As much as you want to hate Tkachuk (I do that freakin' rat lol :laugh:) but as a hockey fan you gotta appreciate what he brought last game.

He was taking big hits to make plays. As a hockey fan I can appreciate that level of commitment

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
We have a great team with many stars that is almost unbeatable when it's firing on all cylinders. Maybe the most talented Leaf team in decades.

That doesn't mean fans should forget the legends of the past that they enjoyed watching when they were younger.

Maybe you'll understand in 25 years if someone says that about Matthews or Marner.

without Gilmour there is no marner
without Salming there is no nylander

heroes of the past forged the path of the present. we shouldn't be ungrateful to the heroes of the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad