GDT: Leafs vs Nucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Interested to see what McMann does here.

He impressed me with his play on the Marlies, and he got off to a terrific start in his 1st call-up last season but fizzled afterwards.

Hopefully he can bring some hustle and jam, and maybe have a bit more puck luck than he's had thus far in previous stints with the Leafs.

Still would have liked Benoit to draw in for tonight. He's looked pretty good the last couple of games and brings some grit to our D.

Not thrilled with Klingberg back. We could have lived another game without him and it would given him a bit more time to "heal"....... um, yeah....

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I need this idea explained better to me in regard to ice time.

How would having matthews, Tavares and Marner all on separate lines work out for ice time?

Would it split evenly? Would Matthews get more ice time than Marner? Would that mean a burtuzzi or domi or kampf get more ice time than Marner or Nylander?

I don’t understand why we wouldn’t put the players we want to play the most together and give them the most ice time?

This idea sounds like something that would lower some players ice time that we want on the ice more and raise ice time for players we do not want on the ice as much

Its an 82 game season. Every player is not going to be completely ON for every game.

By putting 3 high AAV players on three different lines you manufacture depth and offensive opportunities for your team and at the same time tell opposition choose who you want to match up against.

Also, you give ice-time to the line/player that is going on a given night. In the long run; it will work itself out while not overplaying matthews/marner in regular season.

There will be times when you want to load up a line to create offense too.

This will also help provide roles for other forwards on the team both offensively and defensively and you are able to roll lines without thinking too much or galaxy braining.

Knies-Matthews-Jankrok
Robertson-Domi-Marner
Bertuzzi-Tavares-Nylander

you keep rolling these three lines with about the same ice-time or give ice time to the line that is going relatively better. over an 82 game season it will sort itself out anyway.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Cant believe reaves is scratched because his linemates suck. Now its open season on the leafs stars again... Since reaves has been in the lineup the only cheap shot has been marchand on our 3rd pairing d liljedgren...and reaves scared marchand just from the bench he never did it again the rest of the game... Now expect liljedgren cheapshots to increase tenfold and on our star players.... This team is going to play even more lifeless, emotionless and soft now

• Haha
Reactions: Metroid

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
He might be able to provide the mobility with the puck that Kampf desperately needs beside him

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Why do the Leafs have the worst ice in the league? With all our offensive skill you would think your own arena wouldn't be conspiring against you. I don't want to hear they have lots of events in that arena. That excuse is old, like 1967 old. The Ice helped Woll on that breakaway last night and nearly killed us in the shootout when Marner had to score. A northern city with all the hockey experience it is just odd. Back to football. GO BLUE!!!

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I am doubtful it changes much. I personally think it’s too easy/convenient to blame Reaves for Kampf’s poor play. It’s not Reaves fault Kampf is missing his defensive assignments and if he’s not being solid defensively out there he’s doing nothing at all for us.
Playing short handed makes it quite easy to miss assignments

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Interested to see what McMann does here.

He impressed me with his play on the Marlies, and he got off to a terrific start in his 1st call-up last season but fizzled afterwards.

Hopefully he can bring some hustle and jam, and maybe have a bit more puck luck than he's had thus far in previous stints with the Leafs.

Still would have liked Benoit to draw in for tonight. He's looked pretty good the last couple of games and brings some grit to our D.

Not thrilled with Klingberg back. We could have lived another game without him and it would given him a bit more time to "heal"....... um, yeah....
I agree with you regarding Klingberg. If there's a physical problem, as we were told, he could have used this game off and the next 6 days before our next game to recover. Besides, playing the high-flying Canucks is going to exploit him even further.

I'm excited to see McMann, think he can add something that the fourth line doesn't have with Reaves on it. Much more speed, and perhaps better chemistry with Kampf and Gregor. He couldn't do worse than that useless plug.

I just don't understand why it takes Keefe so long to see things that people on this board identify immediately, i.e. Knies on first line, bring Robertson up, Domi at centre, Reaves OUT, Matthews starting OT, etc.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
gotta put coaching on notice too.... why the hell is hte Leafs' 4th line on ice against oppositions' top 2 lines is beyond me

That’s Kampf’s job lol. If not shutdown D-zone starts, what exactly is he supposed to provide for 2.4 mil? Putting out a line with Domi or Bertuzzi on it for D-zone starts against top-6ers isn’t any better and a waste of Nylander’s minutes, and Matthews/Marner are already eating 16 minutes a night of top unit matchups at ES.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
So the leafs have given up 4+ goals a game at every home game, including a crappy flames team. I don’t think this streak ends with the hottest offensive team in the NHL…

Reactions: fahad203

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I need this idea explained better to me in regard to ice time.

How would having matthews, Tavares and Marner all on separate lines work out for ice time?

Would it split evenly? Would Matthews get more ice time than Marner? Would that mean a burtuzzi or domi or kampf get more ice time than Marner or Nylander?

I don’t understand why we wouldn’t put the players we want to play the most together and give them the most ice time?

This idea sounds like something that would lower some players ice time that we want on the ice more and raise ice time for players we do not want on the ice as much

Swap Nylander and Marner and you don’t have to shelter the second line as much, the third line doesn’t need an 11M player they just need strict sheltered offensive minutes. Fourth line needs to be reworked completely until they can take a regular shift without getting destroyed.

Reactions: Strangle

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Swap Nylander and Marner and you don’t have to shelter the second line as much, the third line doesn’t need an 11M player they just need strict sheltered offensive minutes. Fourth line needs to be reworked completely until they can take a regular shift without getting destroyed.
Right now I would leave it as is. We got 3 lines that can provide offense, and maybe now with McMann playing, the 4th line can look semi decent. I still say we need another defensive forward who can make plays too. Another Jarnkrok would be nice.

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
Unlike recent Vancouver games the Leafs are a bit of the underdog I'd say based on b2b and recent play. Hope that flips the typical script tonight.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Broadcast highlighted it last night, Canucks have a 3 in 4 but got OTT and TOR on the second half of their own b2bs and then MTL has their own b2b so the Canucks got equal or more rest for all 3 of their games on this eastern swing. Nice schedule, that.

Let's hope VAN starts regressing that ungodly PDO tonight but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I just want to see a good honest effort tonight. I'm not going to be greedy and ask for a full 60 minute effort but how about we try 40 and go from there.
If Keefe wants to juggle some lines with tightening up the defensive game in mind i'll be all for that because that major issue is exacerbating the other big issue which is goaltending.

Reactions: Strangle

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Idk if I'd do it now but switching Jarnkrok and Marner might not be a bad idea if it ever came to breaking that 1st line up.

3rd line is doing well, and it isn't like Marner has been bad, we just know he can be better.

The 1st line is still producing and outscoring other teams.

three 11 AAV players should play on three different lines and running their own lines creating match-up problems for opposition.

As far as I am cocnerd its a "TEAM" game; if Marner is not playing he should be put on the 4th line. ACCOUNTABILITY should be a thing for a team that wants to achieve success.

Marner is playing fine... just not up to his standards

The 1st line is producing, the 2nd line is producing, the 3rd line is producing... The top 9 is starting to look good and we want to break up lines? It's weird.

So Gregor, Kampf, Reaves, Klingberg, and Samsanov have all been playing poorly, I am assuming you are voting for all of them to be waived?

Accountability, right? They can't be moved down any further, so waiving is the next thing.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
A few easy games but they're a solid group. They're playing as a unified team now.
They are likely going to make the playoffs....but they also aren't the team they have been to start the season. They might be a "unified team" but they are also a team playing unsustainably good right now. It will level off.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
That’s Kampf’s job lol. If not shutdown D-zone starts, what exactly is he supposed to provide for 2.4 mil? Putting out a line with Domi or Bertuzzi on it for D-zone starts against top-6ers isn’t any better and a waste of Nylander’s minutes, and Matthews/Marner are already eating 16 minutes a night of top unit matchups at ES.
Right now kampf has no place on our team.
Leafs are trying to provide secondary scoring by having an offensive third line. Kampf is not offensively good enough for a third line scoring role.
On the fourth line he isn’t a crash and bang energy line center

Kampf is obsolete. Trade him save our cap.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Canucks are frauds. Leafs will expose them tonight.

I like the optimism.

Right now I expect the Leafs to lose every game. So I'm fine with picking up some crap wins here and there.

They're going through a shit period, and not looking too bad in the standings considering........

And yet, is it possible we are actually a bubble/wildcard team? I don't think so. I think this is the Leafs at their shittiest right now and yet we're still in a decent spot, assuming they get over this shit hump.

I can't see the whole Sweden thing being helpful though. Hoping they pick it up after all that crap is over with. And surely Detroit will drop off?

We'll see.

Do we have a historically good or bad record vs. the Canucks at home?

Isn't it bad?

Reactions: BallardEra

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Right now kampf has no place on our team.
Leafs are trying to provide secondary scoring by having an offensive third line. Kampf is not offensively good enough for a third line scoring role.
On the fourth line he isn’t a crash and bang energy line center

Kampf is obsolete. Trade him save our cap.

Too bad he has a 10 team NTC and no contender is going to take on a 2.4 x 4 for a bad 4C without us paying to dump him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00