Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Jets - Wed Oct 4 - Bell MTS Place - 6:00pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Let's be honest, the Jets have just gone downhill since we lost Tim Stapleton :sarcasm:

For real though I loved that guy.

Also: Come on, it's been almost seven hours, where's the GDT!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
What makes you say that? We know what the top 2 lines can do, rarely saw Copp-Lowry-Armia together, never seen Petan-Matthias-Dano, Trouba is starting the season on the roster, Kulikov as well, proven goaltender in Mason, Powerplay looks vastly improved... what's the same that's bad?
I'm quite interested in seeing what the bottom 6 can do. Matthias with Petan and Dano adds some speed to a line with 2 guys with nice offensive touch. Copp with Lowry and Armia is interesting. Looks like they might be looking for Copp to carve out a more defined role with the team.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I'm quite interested in seeing what the bottom 6 can do. Matthias with Petan and Dano adds some speed to a line with 2 guys with nice offensive touch. Copp with Lowry and Armia is interesting. Looks like they might be looking for Copp to carve out a more defined role with the team.
a friend of mine for over 30 years told me last night that one of the jets reporters he knows with one of the newspapers texted him last night and said jets are still debating between dano and tanev. so that 4th line might change. not a for sure thing but we should know this morning with the pregame skate.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
One problem in Jets PP is that Wheeler plays right hand down, and that limits his ability to shoot one-timers. While I like the idea of Lowry-Scheifele-Laine-Buff-Wheeler power play, it's sad that the only guy having his stick left is Lowry that is not a playmaker and happens to play the position where the stick position doesn't matter at all.

Perreault (or in theory Petan) instead of Wheeler could do it, but I don't just like the idea of taking the captain out of the 1st PP. Going all-in by replacing Wheeler with Perreault and then Lowry with Wheeler and then play the 1st PP one and half minutes on PP unless they score earlier could be a fascinating idea.

Wheeler isn't really a shooter of one-timers, he's a guy who normally has to stop the puck and set it up, by which time the scoring chance is often gone.

On a related topic, interesting interview on TSN 1290 the other day about high-quality shots and passing to the slot area. A Canadiens radio guy who does analysis said Scheifele was tops in the league for getting high-quality shooting chances (i.e., slot), and if that continues he could maintain his high shooting percentage. He also said Wheeler is top five in the league for passing into the middle. Those numbers were for all situations, but having Wheeler on the right wall on the PP seems like a better fit than having him on the left wall.

Edit: http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/kelly-scheifele-has-incredible-hockey-sense-1.870144

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wheeler isn't really a shooter of one-timers, he's a guy who normally has to stop the puck and set it up, by which time the scoring chance is often gone.

On a related topic, interesting interview on TSN 1290 the other day about high-quality shots and passing to the slot area. A Canadiens radio guy who does analysis said Scheifele is tops in the league for getting high-quality shooting chances (i.e., slot), and if that continues he could maintain his high shooting percentage. He also said Wheeler is top five in the league for passing into the middle. Those numbers were for all situations, but having Wheeler on the right wall on the PP seems like a better fit than having him on the left wall.
I agree about Wheeler. He's not very effective on the left wall. His shot is sub-par. He's better down low retrieving pucks and setting up Scheifele and Laine or maybe on the right wall.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
a friend of mine for over 30 years told me last night that one of the jets reporters he knows with one of the newspapers texted him last night and said jets are still debating between dano and tanev. so that 4th line might change. not a for sure thing but we should know this morning with the pregame skate.

If Tanev is in I wonder if they put him on LW with Lowry and Armia, with Copp between Matthias and Petan.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level

On a related topic, interesting interview on TSN 1290 the other day about high-quality shots and passing to the slot area. A Canadiens radio guy who does analysis said Scheifele was tops in the league for getting high-quality shooting chances (i.e., slot), and if that continues he could maintain his high shooting percentage. He also said Wheeler is top five in the league for passing into the middle. Those numbers were for all situations, but having Wheeler on the right wall on the PP seems like a better fit than having him on the left wall.
Oh I just watched him(?) on youtube

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Jets started slow last year getting down against the Canes. Really hope they come out to play tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad