Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Jets - Wed Oct 4 - Bell MTS Place - 6:00pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Matthias is playing C. He was never really in competition with Connor. I don't think it'll be too long til he's back up though

The experiment of Matthias at centre in the Jets organization is 72 hours old. If anything this sudden move to centre could have opened up a spot for him.

I actually like what Maurice has done here. The Lowry line is certainly being used as a checking line & I think Copp offers more defensively. Moving Matthias to centre gets that big body the Jets love in the middle & with him having fairly strong offensive numbers, he should compliment Petan & Dano more than Copp would.

Maurice said at the beginning of camp we would be seeing AHL players being promoted to play a similar role on the Jets when injuries occurred. To me this means Lemieux & Lipon will get the call when bottom 6 injuries occur & Roslovic & Connor will get the call when injuries to the top 6 occur.

How this all developed should have been no surprise to anyone, particularly since Connor's defensive game wasn't a highlight of training camp.

The interesting move will occur when Hendricks becomes healthy & the demotion of Tanev or Petan becomes a hot topic here.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Stoked petan made the team. He is the kind of offensive depth that playoff teams have.

Please for the love of god beat the leafs.
Agreed. Time to start focusing at the enemy at the gate rather than the endless naval gazing at the 4th line. Big production from the top 6, a real tight defensive game and good goaltending will be the key. Man I really do hate the Leafs.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I will say, It's up to Petan and Dano to do something here while they have the chance. Hendricks will be coming off the IR and breathing down their necks.

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
I just don't see the logic here !!! Firstly and foremost, Lowry is not a playmaker, and most of his goals come from the back of his butt, or off his skates. He should be centering the 4-th line with fast grinder type players. Lowry is good for screening the front of the net, and also scoring off rebounds. Copp and Armia are good, but should be centered by Petan.

In concept when you have the scorers the Jet's do, your first 3 lines should have in them - both Petan, and Kyle Connor, and I don't see it any other way. What's wrong with MO ??? can he not see the writing on the wall. Connor scored more goals than Jack Eichel in college, and holds the record, and also played great for the Moose last year.

I'd go with 3 scoring lines and one shut down and PK line !!! -so you'd have a 3-rd line that has Copp, Petan, and Dano ( or Perrault) The 4-th line would have guys like Matthias, Tanev, and Lowry, that are more mucker, grinder type players. ( which we need)

Remember it took Ehlers about half a season to come to his own, and he wouldn't have, if the Jet's had sent him down. ( Jet's couldn't tho) Am I the only one who see's the Jet's best chances of winning, are with line configurations like I've noted above ???

I guess MO is really worried about defensive play, but if I were him, I'd be concentrating on how to prevent stupid penalties !!! That's the key. With the NHL becoming more of a world league , your not going to win playing short handed -"it's quite simple." It looks to me, the only "significant" improvement I see is with Mason in goal, which is a huge upgrade. Just wondering if anyone agrees with my thinking on this ???

Note
- This type of short sighted vision is why Maurice is a 500 coach IMO !!!

The logic is that if you have a third line that is going to get owned by the other teams top 6 they will only see 4 minutes a night. Connor, Petan, Dano ect..... will get owned by the other teams top 6.

You could theoretically get away with it at home with last change but in the bigger picture it just doesn't work. Matthias, Lowry, Armia line proved last season they can defend against the best and that's all the Pomo is asking from them. Any scoring that is generated from these 3 is added value.

I had Connor on the left side of this line as a "calculated risk' just to give him another chance at the NHL level where he would get some ice time but putting Copp on that line is definitely safer and better fits the strategy.

This team has the tools to consistently win hockey games and the lineup shows the organization has completed the build and is taking the next step. Petan, Dano and Connor are there to ride pine and plug holes for the next few years.

It makes perfect sense to me.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
On Sportnet 223 if you have shaw the guide says "Blackout" at 6pm Wednesday game time Jets/Leafs which is annoying to see the game not listed as playing then.

Anyone have confirmation the game will air tomorrow on shaw 223?

Thanks in advance

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
I will say, It's up to Petan and Dano to do something here while they have the chance. Hendricks will be coming off the IR and breathing down their necks.
I totally agree. That pairing has a chance to show that they can play with skill. In a nutshell, Dano has great hands in front of the net and Petan can get him the puck there. Matthias has shown some scoring ability in the past. This line is not great, but it's okay. This will not be a five minute a night line.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Unless we stay out of the box or Mo & Chevy are blowing smoke about the top 6 not killing penalties the icetime should be a little more even. No reason those bottom 6 lines can't give us more than we have seen in the past. That being said guys like Scheifele and Wheelers will eat up minutes unless we are coasting to victory. They are just too good not to play 19-20 mins.

An important difference will be that the top 6 will play at evens and on the PP and the bottom 6 gets most of the PK. That shaves PK time off Wheeler and Little, and to a lesser extent, Scheifele. Petan and Lowry probably also get some PP time with the 4 forward set-up. I think that 4th line gets a lot of offensive zone starts. They'll be a good follow from the Lowry line that tended to start in the D zone and end in the O zone.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
On Sportnet 223 if you have shaw the guide says "Blackout" at 6pm Wednesday game time Jets/Leafs which is annoying to see the game not listed as playing then.

Anyone have confirmation the game will air tomorrow on shaw 223?

Thanks in advance

I've never seen the Shaw guide literally say "Blackout" before, but yes indeed checking my schedule Sportsnet West on Shaw 223 clearly states a blackout.

I'm on the phone with Shaw at the moment. The representative tells me the game is indeed being blacked out & is out of their control, displacing the blame to Sportsnet who they suggest I contact.

I am on hold waiting for a senior accounts manager to verify if any of this is true. I can't imagine the game being blacked out in Winnipeg. Many bars & restaurants are actively promoting the game already & promoters have booked the Cube in Old Market Square where the game is scheduled to be televised.

After the TSN Go debacle days ago I can't fathom this would happen for two consecutive games.

UPDATE FOR SHAW CUSTOMERS: Although not on Shaw 223 (HD) or Shaw 195 (SD) & Shaw 196 (SD) it IS on Shaw 47 (SD) & in HD on Shaw 295 & 296

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Maurice says he's never seen anyone with a shot like Laine.

Good point about the fact that in the Central a team probably won't be confident of a playoff position until right near the end of the season. This year is going to be a long grind, assuming the Jets stay in the playoff race all season.

In the last 20 games the team actually won games when the entered the third trailing. Those were extremely rare for this team in the past. The D corp was decimated but by then it was pretty much the same forward group we have playing on Wednesday plus Thorburn. When Maurice talked about chasing the game....I think maybe these forwards did learn something in the so called "garbage time" The wild card is the D corp. Hopefully the goaltending will allow us not to trail as often. And hopefully the lessons learned last season don't fade away when the pressure rises.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
You could theoretically get away with it at home with last change but in the bigger picture it just doesn't work. Matthias, Lowry, Armia line proved last season they can defend against the best and that's all the Pomo is asking from them. Any scoring that is generated from these 3 is added value.

I'm not sure they quite proved that last year. In any case, Maurice is also expecting 40 goals from them this year.

I had Connor on the left side of this line as a "calculated risk' just to give him another chance at the NHL level where he would get some ice time but putting Copp on that line is definitely safer and better fits the strategy.

This team has the tools to consistently win hockey games and the lineup shows the organization has completed the build and is taking the next step. Petan, Dano and Connor are there to ride pine and plug holes for the next few years.

It makes perfect sense to me.

If Maurice has his way -- which Chevy will give him unquestioningly -- then yes. In the hands of a good coach, they'd be more than hole pluggers and pine riders IMO.

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
I'm not sure they quite proved that last year. In any case, Maurice is also expecting 40 goals from them this year.

If Maurice has his way -- which Chevy will give him unquestioningly -- then yes. In the hands of a good coach, they'd be more than hole pluggers and pine riders IMO.

My comments regarding those 3 are a bit prejudice due to the fact I didn't follow the team towards the end of last season and was only able to watch 1 preseason game this year. Maybe they are better players now than what I have seen but there still isn't any room for them in the top 6 and they don't fit on the 3rd line. If they had shown the potential to "competently" play in the top 9 the last 2 last years MP might not have gotten a contract extension, Matthias and Hendricks would be wearing a different Jersey and we would have a very serviceable 4th line.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
So if Copp is infact on the 3rd line what happens if the third line takes a penalty near the end of a shift who starts the penalty kill?I don’t think Maurice is going to do this considering how important he said the PK is I think he will revert back to the MLA line and Copp will play on the 4th either at centre or LW.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
So if Copp is infact on the 3rd line what happens if the third line takes a penalty near the end of a shift who starts the penalty kill?I don’t think Maurice is going to do this considering how important he said the PK is I think he will revert back to the MLA line and Copp will play on the 4th either at centre or LW.
wouldn't they still run into the same problem with mathias on 3rd line and copp on 4th.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
In the last 20 games the team actually won games when the entered the third trailing. Those were extremely rare for this team in the past. The D corp was decimated but by then it was pretty much the same forward group we have playing on Wednesday plus Thorburn. When Maurice talked about chasing the game....I think maybe these forwards did learn something in the so called "garbage time" The wild card is the D corp. Hopefully the goaltending will allow us not to trail as often. And hopefully the lessons learned last season don't fade away when the pressure rises.

Didn't we win like 7 of the first 10 in comebacks, some of them miracles?

A good way to not chase games is to not handcuff yourself to having only two lines that can outscore the opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce