GDT: Leafs vs Habs pre-season game #4

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Gio looked slow last night. Still was positionally sound, good on the PK, but let’s be honest, he shouldn’t see 40 games this year. They need Timmins in there and can’t risk losing him on waivers. He’s shown more than enough offensively and was decent in a defensive game last night. If Gio has a stinker or two in the preseason they have a hard decision to make. One player is on the cusp of a career, the other on the the waning end.

Rielly. Liljegren
Brodie. Timmins
McCabe. klingberg

Gio

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Man I have to say between Knies, Cowan and Minten it looks like Toronto has a pretty good trio of forward prospects, Cowan has looked great all camp, and Knies and Minten looked great together last night.

The most encouraging part is only one of them is a 1st rounder.

Hopefully Cowan can stay at center because as much as I like Tavares and I still think he's got some effective hockey left in him he is 33.

horner

May 22, 2007
Prospects that will be leafs regulars

Knies is going to be a difference maker top 6 forward this year that can PK as well

Minten I see as a 3rd line center big and strong could be here in 2 years

Cowen we have all seen what he brings could be a regular next year

Holmberg he seems to be faster than last yr and stronger

We need to work on getting young d prospects in the system

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Knies is going to be a difference maker top 6 forward this year that can PK as well

And a top 6 center because again Tavares is 33

Reactions: Burnie97 and horner

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Gio looked slow last night. Still was positionally sound, good on the PK, but let’s be honest, he shouldn’t see 40 games this year. They need Timmins in there and can’t risk losing him on waivers. He’s shown more than enough offensively and was decent in a defensive game last night. If Gio has a stinker or two in the preseason they have a hard decision to make. One player is on the cusp of a career, the other on the the waning end.

Rielly. Liljegren
Brodie. Timmins
McCabe. klingberg

Gio
I don't think they are paying Klingberg 4 million a year to be on the bottom pairing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Man I have to say between Knies, Cowan and Minten it looks like Toronto has a pretty good trio of forward prospects, Cowan has looked great all camp, and Knies and Minten looked great together last night.

The most encouraging part is only one of them is a 1st rounder.

Hopefully Cowan can stay at center because as much as I like Tavares and I still think he's got some effective hockey left in him he is 33.
Good young players for sure but what difference does the round they were drafted make? It doesn’t change them as players.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Minten might even push Willy back to the wing and be our 2C.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Holmberg definitely should be on the team. He's been really good. He won't dazzle with skill or flashy plays but he works hard and makes a lot of smart plays. I have preferred him over any of the other bottom line players this pre-season so far. And I agree that he does seem much stronger and faster.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It doesn't change who the players are, but it's encouraging to know that we are finding good players later in the draft. I think that's been a weak point for a while.
Got it.

Holmberg definitely should be on the team. He's been really good. He won't dazzle with skill or flashy plays but he works hard and makes a lot of smart plays. I have preferred him over any of the other bottom line players this pre-season so far. And I agree that he does seem much stronger and faster.
I’d agree with this, he should be on the team. What’s his waiver status?

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Knies was absolutely dominant. He really has a lot of poise with the puck and protects it well with his body. He’s high IQ and is really good with his stick. I don’t what they’re doing in the Arizona youth system but they’re really good at stealing pucks. I didn’t think he had this much skill. An absolute gem.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

Rielly. Liljegren
Brodie. Timmins
McCabe. klingberg

Gio
Probably the most balanced we’ve seen our blueline in a very long time.

horner

May 22, 2007
Lafferty Holmberg Gregor

Reactions: SprDaVE

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
he’ll probably need to be sheltered 5/5 with #1 PP time. Ice time will even out.
If his defensive abilities are that poor then yes, but I could also make a case for why Liljegren and McCabe need to be on the bottom pairing.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Our right side may be set for a while...

Niemala is young and to me, looks like he has a skillset similar to Liljegren but with a better hockey IQ.

Timmins has looked great and could be a full-time NHLer this year or next.

Liljegren, I am hoping continues to develop.

Villeneuve may end up being a really good player.

We have 4 solid RD options in the next few years potentially and all are under 25.

The left side is not as great, but I've liked Rafai as a bottom pairing option, and then hopefully someone else hits.

We still have Riley and LD are usually easier to acquire so that is nice.

It'd be awesome if we had some higher-end potential on the backend, but I think Niemela and Liljegren at the very least have #2 potential where they can be a great transition D with good defensive zone play and support someone like Rielly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad