Half-Assed GDT: Leafs vs Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoMoBlues

Aug 16, 2010
Columbus, OH
Blame Binny all you want and I am but look a the D in front of him. He can make a f***ing save. With a game like this not having Pietrangelo is looking worse and worse.

Was about to agree with you, but then read the rest of your post.

We’re missing our top D man due to covid, a situation that happens to all players even the aforementioned. Can’t hang this loss all on goaltending, bad defensce, or GM moves. Everything can’t be so black and white all the time. Sometimes it’s just shades of grey.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Watching postgame and ROR blames himself twice! Showing what a great leader he is, despite him scoring 2 goals in the game, and averaging 1 goal a game in his last 3 games.
well someone has to talk to the media from our team since our goalie is apparently in the witness protection program

for a guy who claims hes not nervous, sure seems nervous to address the media anytime he shits the bed.

CoMoBlues

Aug 16, 2010
Columbus, OH
well someone has to talk to the media from our team since our goalie is apparently in the witness protection program

for a guy who claims hes not nervous, sure seems nervous to address the media anytime he shits the bed.

Agreed regarding ROR showing up and taking tough questions. Still most NHL teams don’t make their goalie available for postgame after a loss. Most goalies are a different breed anyways, so not surprising to me.

This seems like the Pens game redux to me. Blues deserved better result, but played a premier team in the league very tough, despite everything.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis

"What have you done for me lately?"

Ya'll remember this? I sure do.

s-l400.jpg

The entitlement is strong in here, ya'll.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
"What have you done for me lately?"

Just so we don't all forget:

s-l400.jpg

Anyone else remember the days before the cup? I sure do. The entitlement is strong in here, ya'll.
It’s not entitlement to demand a player play up to his contract(or even close to it). It’s accountability. Binner can’t do it, Husso can, so let’s play Husso. Three seasons is enough evidence. Carolina had to do it with Cam Ward, Ottawa with Hammond etc. Just admit the guy isn’t who you hoped he’d be, thank him for his effort leading you to a Cup, and move on.

Reactions: TheDizee

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Binnington 21 GP .910 S% 2.90 GAA
Kuemper 24 GP .905 S% 2.86 GAA
Lehner 27 GP .905 S% 2.91 GAA

My question is. Why are Lehner and Kuemper supposedly predicted Stanley Cup goalies and Binnington isn't good enough anymore. If Binnington is so completely trash, why aren't those two other goalies as well? Seems pretty similar in stats. If Binnington can't cut it then neither should either of those goalies as well.

Im not saying Binnington is some elite goalie. He's an average goalie having a slump. But completely ripping him apart isn't doing anyone any good.

CraftyVeteran

Lunatic
Apr 15, 2017
Binnington 21 GP .910 S% 2.90 GAA
Kuemper 24 GP .905 S% 2.86 GAA
Lehner 27 GP .905 S% 2.91 GAA

My question is. Why are Lehner and Kuemper supposedly predicted Stanley Cup goalies and Binnington isn't good enough anymore. If Binnington is so completely trash, why aren't those two other goalies as well? Seems pretty similar in stats. If Binnington can't cut it then neither should either of those goalies as well.

Im not saying Binnington is some elite goalie. He's an average goalie having a slump. But completely ripping him apart isn't doing anyone any good.

Literally nobody with a working brain has ever called them cup contending goalies. They play on cup contending teams and are one of the reasons neither has been able to get to the Finals.

Reactions: TheDizee

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Literally nobody with a working brain has ever called them cup contending goalies. They play on cup contending teams and are one of the reasons neither has been able to get to the Finals.
Pretty sure Lehner took the Knights to the third round in 2019-20. And every one of those third round games were one goal games.

Kuemper was acquired in the offseason, don't see how he's at fault for Colorado not being about to get past the 2nd round.

Reactions: Blueston

CraftyVeteran

Lunatic
Apr 15, 2017
Pretty sure Lehner took the Knights to the third round in 2019-20. And every one of those third round games were one goal games.

Kuemper was acquired in the offseason, don't see how he's at fault for Colorado not being about to get past the 2nd round.

my mistake. this is the internet where context doesnt matter and you are always right and everyone else is wrong. Well played. :rolleyes:

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
All anyone complaining about Binnington wants to do is look at the stat sheet and complain about him. No one wants to actually break down every goal and give actual critique. Since Binnington came into the league he has more glove saves than any other goalie and it's not even close but he gets beat twice tonight glove side by absolute snipes from some world class players and now all of a sudden he has a shit glove hand, man just f*** off with that shit. Blaming the loss on Binnington is also a shit move because last I knew, there are 5 other players on the ice and on a lot of those goals it was just Binnington 1v1 with the shooter, where the f*** did everyone else go? Oh that's right, they get a free f***ing pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

Pretty sure Fluery took them to the 3rd round and then he got replaced with Lehner who then shit the bed as per the usual.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
What do they do with him? Have his $6 Mil ride the bench? Try and trick a team into taking him?

Same thing you do with any goalie making that kind of scratch. Let him play through the slump, rally the team around him and start playing actual defense.

Also Husso has not proven he can be a 1B let alone a starter. This is his only decent season so far and yeah he is doing great but let’s not crown him the starter after 26 games in two seasons (only 9 this year).

Furthermore, Husso isn’t signed next year and he is a UFA. Playing him the rest of the season and droping Binny is just asking to be bent over the negotiation table. Doug would have to sign Husso to a starter contract with less of a body of work than Binny and that is if Husso can take us to a cup.

Unless this is a Manny Legace situation where the goalie is losing his mind you don’t just dump him.

Also does anyone know how to pull team stats for the team filtering by which goalie is in net?

I am willing to wager that Binny has had to deal with more turnovers, odd man rushes, high/medium danger scoring chances, and more unblocked shots per game than both Husso and Chucky have.

This team plays way over confident in front of Binny imho.

Last edited:

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019
Same thing you do with any goalie making that kind of scratch. Let him play through the slump, rally the team around him and start playing actual defense.

Also Husso has not proven he can be a 1B let alone a starter. This is his only decent season so far and yeah he is doing great but let’s not crown him the starter after 26 games in two seasons (only 9 this year).

Furthermore, Husso isn’t signed next year and he is a UFA. Playing him the rest of the season and droping Binny is just asking to be bent over the negotiation table. Doug would have to sign Husso to a starter contract with less of a body of work than Binny and that is if Husso can take us to a cup.

Unless this is a Manny Legace situation where the goalie is losing his mind you don’t just dump him.

Also does anyone know how to pull team stats for the team filtering by which goalie is in net?

I am willing to wager that Binny has had to deal with more turnovers, odd man rushes, high/medium danger scoring chances, and more unblocked shots per game than both Husso and Chucky have.

This team plays way over confident in front of Binny imho.
Even if the team does play better in front of goalies not named Binnington (which I doubt) why wouldn't you still play the goalie they play better for? :huh:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Well, that was a very exciting game with a nut-punch ending. Not a great pass by Scandy, but it's not like it led to a golden scoring chance. Really tough to let in that horrible goal at such a crucial time as I thought Binner had battled pretty well up until that point. Once Toronto had tied it up it seemed like the Blues were just playing to get it to OT and it cost us. We were fortunate to even have a chance to win when you look at the shots/scoring chances, but it's a shame not to get at least a point when we battled back so well.

One thing I couldn't figure out is why Chief had Kostin's line on the ice so much when it was close and late in the game. That led to the penalty against which allowed the Leafs to tie the game, and then he put them back out there when it was 5-5. I guess it was just the short bench, but those guys are really outmatched against the talent on the Leafs. Perunovich was exposed a few times as well and needs to be heavily sheltered on D, but good learning experience for the young guys.

I agree with those who say to give Husso an extended look. I don't think Binner has been THAT bad, but Husso has looked fantastic and deserves more of a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hrkac Circus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad