Speculation: Leafs to Face Red Wings in Outdoor Game - Jan 1, 2017

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Oh right. NFL.

Well I feel bad if the temperatures are going to be like this :laugh: although january was pretty warm. And the sightlines should be great.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
The Exhibition Stadium would have been the perfect venue. :sarcasm:

Toronto-Baseball-Stadium-CTA.jpg

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I have a feeling Toronto is hosting Detroit in a Stadium Series game. If this is was against Montreal the Heritage Classic would have made a lot of sense. I also can't see it being a Winter Classic because of what Howard Berger said on his blog that the NHL wanted a Leafs-Rangers Winter Classic at BMO Field, however NBC said no to that.

http://betweentheposts.ca/2016/02/centenary-whining/

In an understatement, this is not sitting well with denizens of the Air Canada Centre who spent much time absorbing the verbiage of past Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment executives Brian Burke and Tim Leiweke — both of whom lobbied hard for the All–Star game; the Draft and the Bridgestone Winter Classic outdoor match on New Year’s Day. No city has been given all the events in the same season and it wasn’t going to happen here. But, long–suffering fans of the Leafs firmly contended they were in line for at least two of the three. With word that the NHL’s American broadcast partner, NBC, opposed a New York Rangers at Toronto Bridgestone Classic at BMO Field — that affair evidently now headed to St. Louis — it appears the Leafs will be granted a not–as–prestigious Heritage game (against Detroit, according to Elliotte Friedman of Hockey Night In Canada).

Danimal

Feb 13, 2016
I think the Leafs outdoor game should be on Hockey Day In Canada against Montreal. I think Hockey Day in Canada should have all the Canadian teams playing each other in outdoor games. Since there are only 7 teams one would have to face an American team until Quebec gets it's expansion team.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
No we're getting the WC on the 1st. St.Louis is getting a Stadium Series game on the 2nd. At least that's what I'm gathering and assuming.

Bet you all my vcash NBC says otherwise. The Leafs game will be called something else. Why? NBC is the only reason I need.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
There we go. At least now we're getting information about an event. I hope it's the Winter Classic, but we'll see how things shake out with NBC.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Since Coors Light is the sponsor of the Stadium Series games, won't it look weird playing that at Busch Stadium in St. Louis? That's why I think the Toronto-Detroit game is a Heritage Classic or Stadium Series game and St. Louis - Chicago will be the Winter Classic.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Bet you all my vcash NBC says otherwise. The Leafs game will be called something else. Why? NBC is the only reason I need.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that part of the deal with the NFL for the Sunday night package is that NBC will not broadcast NHL games (possibly other things) on Sunday afternoons against the NFL. So, a Leafs outdoor game on January 1, 2017 would not be broadcast on NBC. It would likely be on NBCSN in the U.S. The Winter Classic would be carried by NBC on January 2. Incidentally, the college bowl games that are usually on January 1 will be on January 2 next year -- it's what happens whenever New Year's Day falls on a Sunday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad