Speculation: Leafs to Face Red Wings in Outdoor Game - Jan 1, 2017

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
They didn't talk about the venue. Rogers centre with the roof open?

BMO is probably too small.

What other options are there?

It'll be BMO.

It's been renovated to seat roughly 40,000 people

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Rogers Center would be ideal, but I believe it was said the roof can't open in the winter.

It would damage the ventilation or something.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Rogers Center would be ideal, but I believe it was said the roof can't open in the winter.

It would damage the ventilation or something.

Ewwww, not in the RC! It will be indoors, just with the roof open. No offence to Dome, but it would suck as a venue for an outdoor game. It supposed to be, you know, outdoors.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Gary Bettman - well I guess we have to give them something so lets put them on Sunday vs the NFL Week 17 so no one outside Toronto will watch.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Not surprised by this. It had to be done, regardless of what they call it. I was hoping for a different original six opponent though.

As for the venue, it will definitely be at BMO. It will be modified to fit 40,000 seats. It will be more intimate, and the sightlines are going to be great for an outdoor game.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Not surprised by this. It had to be done, regardless of what they call it. I was hoping for a different original six opponent though.

As for the venue, it will definitely be at BMO. It will be modified to fit 40,000 seats. It will be more intimate, and the sightlines are going to be great for an outdoor game.

this^ the sightlines of the CN Tower and the downtown core are going to be amazing

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
this^ the sightlines of the CN Tower and the downtown core are going to be amazing

A vast majority of the sight lines are being blocked by the additional deck of seating though.

Still should have a good view of the tower

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
The game is almost a year away I'm sure Rogers and MLSE are rich enough to come up with something to modify roof of the Rogers Centre so they can have it open for the game. It will help them to accommodate future outdoor games which will only result in more cash grab.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
The game is almost a year away I'm sure Rogers and MLSE are rich enough to come up with something to modify roof of the Rogers Centre so they can have it open for the game. It will help them to accommodate future outdoor games which will only result in more cash grab.

Not sure how easy anything like that would be to do during a baseball season

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON

The fact that the Rogers Centre is almost 30 years old, I doubt they go ahead and do something as troublesome as to basically replace the roof. Also, I don't there anything out there that could help hydraulics work properly at in weather like today with the massive size the dome is anyway.

EDIT: Post above also mention that Baseball season would talk up too much time to do anything sort of construction.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
What? Why would they do that?

nbc wants ratings for winter classic. jan 1 falls on sunday, which is nfl sunday. so ratings would be low. so winter classic will be on mon jan 2 which is a public holiday, so high ratings.

leafs vs wings will prob be called centennial classic or heritage classic.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

No. RC is just not a good venue for this. It would be an indoor game with the roof rolled back. ********, in my opinion. Why do people want it in the RC?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad