Post-Game Talk: Leafs > Tampa plus Refs (Woll and Knies are stars)

Status
Not open for further replies.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
My buddy was at the game last night and he said that the Lightning fans around him kept yelling for 'fouls' on the Leafs lol.

I went to the last regular season game between the two teams last year, think we lost like 8-1 or something but when we scored I stood up to clap or whatever and the guy behind me asked why I was cheering for the Leafs (implying that it was the wrong team), while I was wearing a Matthews jersey.

I've attended games in Tampa and in Sunrise before, and my experiences were similar. I had a Panthers fan who kept referring to the Leafs as "the Canadians". Like, does he think we're watching the team from Montreal? Or did he think that's just what you'd call any team from Canada? And no one around corrected him.

I don't mind new fans, bandwagoners, or fair weather fans. I honestly don't mind at all. But there is a serious difference between a crowd that cheers for a great penalty kill, vs the crowd that doesn't know why there was a penalty in the first place.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Pretty frustrating how game management continues to reward dirty teams by penalizing both sides near evenly. This will get worse in the playoffs, as usual. The priorities of this league are in a very strange place.

What can you do but lean into it? Make them call absurd amounts of penalties on you until fans and bookies complain. If I were Dubas I’d spend the summer with the sole focus of setting a SH goal record next year with a top-5 PP.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I've attended games in Tampa and in Sunrise before, and my experiences were similar. I had a Panthers fan who kept referring to the Leafs as "the Canadians". Like, does he think we're watching the team from Montreal? Or did he think that's just what you'd call any team from Canada? And no one around corrected him.

I don't mind new fans, bandwagoners, or fair weather fans. I honestly don't mind at all. But there is a serious difference between a crowd that cheers for a great penalty kill, vs the crowd that doesn't know why there was a penalty in the first place.
Was at game 3 and 4 last year, going to game 4 this year. Love it at Amalie Arena, stay in Ybor, take the trolley down, and honestly, who doesnt like playoff hockey with palm trees and hot weather?

Lets go!

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Tampa 0-8 on the PP. LMAO

William Nylander steps up with a goal and 3pts in a HUGE win. The TBL really embarrassed themselves with how hard they tried and lost to team who dressed Connor Timmins as a forward. LMAO

PLUS, John Cooper has to be the biggest sore loser on earth.

Cooper: "There was zero intensity in that game. I'm telling you, there was none. It may have looked like it from the stands. That was an exhibition game. It wasn't even a regular season. Clearly there was a mandate going into that game."

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Tampa 0-8 on the PP. LMAO

William Nylander steps up with a goal and 3pts in a HUGE win. The TBL really embarrassed themselves with how hard they tried and lost to team who dressed Connor Timmins as a forward. LMAO

PLUS, John Cooper has to be the biggest sore loser on earth.

Cooper: "There was zero intensity in that game. I'm telling you, there was none. It may have looked like it from the stands. That was an exhibition game. It wasn't even a regular season. Clearly there was a mandate going into that game."

Is he sure it was even hockey out there? Maybe it was curling.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Cooper:laugh:

My 3

1st Star Joe Woll is the answer. He was pretty much solid for all 60 mins. He bailed out a tired PK a couple of times. He I think played at such a level again that he has to have the confidence of the team and certainly the coaching staff. I'm not going to say I'm 100% confident in our netminders, but I haven't been this confident in a long time.

2nd Star. The D, they stood tall, they cleared the crease, the used the boards, they blocked shots, they moved the puck efficiently. You know like a real good corps.

3rd Star. William Nylander, a real professional effort tonight, he played all shifts with equal intensity and drive. Whether it was because he felt the responsibility to take charge or because he's over whatever was bothering him. He was the best forward on the ice either team.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Nice that we show some pushback and won't get bullied by these thugs. But we can't lower ourselves to their level and suddenly become a scrapping team after every whistle. It's not in our DNA, and we can't get sucked in to their thugery. Don't take any crap, and smother them with depth.

We can do this.

Also, think maybe after a 47 save game Woll is in their heads a bit after they got goalied? Luvit!
Agreed

I want to win 6-2 game in and game out and go 2-5 on the PP and 5-6 on the PK, but if need be, punch the other team into submission!

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
There's one like that in Toronto who's had three birthdays this year, all on Leafs home game dates. Impressive - I mean what are the odds?
Sounds like the parents are teaching the kid to be a sneak. What if he is related to Corey Perry?

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
If you read my post that you quoted you would have your answer.

I don't get why some are spending so much time and effort moaning about what an opposing coach says when they don't believe him anyway.

Crap, my bad, I actually thought you were giving him props for honesty there. I was triggered earlier when someone was parroting his statement as the truth.

On that note I can see what you are saying but I still find it an embarassing statement. We all watched them go all in and get embarrassed last night and I don't think that kind of stuff would fly in Leafland where he would get actual scrutiny and follow up questions.

Let's see if the Bolts have one more run in them but it won't be due to his great coaching but if Vasy can make him look great really. Again, not saying he's a bad coach but he's had more advantages than any other theb ast few years.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

These southern casual fans are something else, I've got absolutely nothing against new sports fans - by all means enjoy the great sport of hockey.

My brother and his fiance also attended a game in Florida last year and he got into it with a couple of those southern fans. They thought that hitting from behind was legal and were constantly calling for Florida players to hit 34 illegally. Needless to say he tried his best to educate them a bit on hockey but you know how drunk idiots are.

Reactions: banks

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
No Matthews no Marner no Sammy no Gio ... No Problem !!!!

This has to give the Leafs a gigantic boost in self confidence heading into this series now.

Almost want to make a realist like myself believe a victory is possible in round #1 .. Almost !!!
Realist mess?
princess-bride-you-keep-using-that-word.gif

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We literally beat Tampa's playoff roster (outside of Jeannot) with a bunch of our main guys missing (Marner, Matthews, Gio, Lafferty) and our 3rd stringer (soon to be second) in net.

I know it's not playoffs yet, but let that sink in.

Damn what a good feeling.
Was great no doubt but I don't think we can count on Vas playing that poorly on a consistent basis.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I think Maroon and Perry both pulled a groin or something with their twig and berries going on they didnt look too comfortable out there.

Schenn is such a beast when, the Hulk goes berserk, he calls it going Schenn mode.
Tampa looked like they didnt enjoy getting fed physically last night. Not the same Leafs team. Their shenanigan's are not an advantage this year, and the Leafs look like they dont mind rolling around in the muck!

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Pretty frustrating how game management continues to reward dirty teams by penalizing both sides near evenly. This will get worse in the playoffs, as usual. The priorities of this league are in a very strange place.

Thé league knows that if the southern USA teams get the wrong end of PPs they’ll just stop watching. And FAST.

Hope they finally realize Toronto gaining bandwagon fans along a playoff run will be wayyyyy more revenue than a niche US base even in the finals.

The way the calls are this year compared to others, and with the addition of some REAL men to our team… the calls are less egregious than usual.

Still Bs. But nothing compared to Bruins series years

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
May be the dirtiest team in the league. Nothing tough about their act, mostly p***y stuff.
They have the most fighting majors in the league. It is part of their game. That said, they really aren't that scary

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Thé league knows that if the southern USA teams get the wrong end of PPs they’ll just stop watching. And FAST.

Hope they finally realize Toronto gaining bandwagon fans along a playoff run will be wayyyyy more revenue than a niche US base even in the finals.

The way the calls are this year compared to others, and with the addition of some REAL men to our team… the calls are less egregious than usual.

Still Bs. But nothing compared to Bruins series years
I would bet that Tampa gets more PPs then us guaranteed .. but this year it won't matter as much .. i think we have Tampa this year in da grit grinder category .. and our tending won't be a stopping point whether Sammy/Woll .. our forwards are better and deeper .. our D is better .. so refs won't change result .. VASI he might but he has been playing like dog sh*t for 2 months now .. da only real risk is VASI goes 4 shutouts .. highly unlikely but possible .. if VASI does that then you tip your hat to him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad