Post-Game Talk: Leafs take it 3-2!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's arguments like these that are part of the reason why they should have never got rid of ties and made things even worse by having games decided by stuff that isn't real hockey.

If there was an option to roll back all the rules 40 years, sign me up.
Yea it's annoying that the standings are skewed by these gimmicks that don't exist in the playoffs, there was nothing wrong with the old rules whatsoever.

As far as arguments go though, no big deal. Just try to laugh and consider it entertainment, people who lack basic logic skills would find nonsense to argue about no matter what the rules are.

We beat a pathetic excuse for an NHL team last night. All is well.
All is well indeed. For a couple of days anyway. ;)

Hope we see Murray on Tuesday and he plays well. Him having a great game and winning would do wonders!

Reactions: Macallan18

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yea it's annoying that the standings are skewed by these gimmicks that don't exist in the playoffs, there was nothing wrong with the old rules whatsoever.

As far as arguments go though, no big deal. Just try to laugh and consider it entertainment, people who lack basic logic skills would find nonsense to argue about no matter what the rules are.

Hope we see Murray on Tuesday and he plays well. Him having a great game and winning would do wonders!
Unless Samsonov is going to be out long term, do you bring Murray back anytime soon?
Yes…let him compete for a spot
No….keep the status quo

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
When we refer to .500, we are referring to point %.

Saying we are 3 games above .500 is technically and absolutely correct.
It is absolutely and technically correct, but meaningless in a world in which a .500 team is below average. The NHL has created a system (idiotic, in my view, but good for marketing of bad teams) in which fans of bad teams can point out how close they are to .500 (or that they are at or above .500) as if that doesn't make them all that much worse than the average team.

Last season the NHL mean (average) point % was .555. A .500 team was 9 points (or to put it in old style baseball fashion as you did, 9 games) below average.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
For those interested in Overtime, Ties, and Overtime ...

1928-29Forward passing permitted in defensive and neutral zones and into attacking zone if pass receiver is in neutral zone when pass is made. No forward passing allowed inside attacking zone. Minor penalty to be assessed to any player who delays the game by passing the puck back into his defensive zone. Ten-minute overtime without sudden-death provision to be played in games tied after regulation time. Games tied after this overtime period declared a draw

1942-43
Because of wartime restrictions on train scheduling, regular-season overtime was discontinued on November 21, 1942.

1983-84 Five-minute sudden-death overtime to be played in regular-season games that are tied at the end of regulation time.

1999-2000Each team to play 25 home and 25 road games using the two-referee system. Crease rule revised to implement a "no harm, no foul, no video review" standard. Teams to play with four skaters and a goaltender in regular-season overtime. If a goal is scored in regular-season overtime, the winner is awarded two points and the loser one point. In no goal is scored in overtime, both teams are awarded one point.

2005-06
The NHL adopted a comprehensive package of rule changes that included the following: Goal line moved to 11 feet from end boards; blue lines moved to 75 feet from end boards, reducing neutral zone from 54 feet to 50 feet. Center red line eliminated for two-line passes. "Tag-up" off-side rule reinstituted. Goaltender not permitted to play the puck outside a designated trapezoid-shaped area behind the net. A team that ices the puck is not permitted to make any player substitutions prior to the ensuing faceoff. A player who instigates a fight in the final five minutes of regulation time or at any time of overtime to receive a minor, a major, a misconduct and an automatic one-game suspension. The size of goaltender equipment reduced. If a game remains tied after five minutes of overtime, winner determined by shootout.

Attachments

• 1668374220532.png
    1668374220532.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 1668374226357.png
    1668374226357.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Lauro

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Yeah well you're wrong. You DO get "loser points" in the NHL, every time you lose in OT. You choose to cover your ears and sing LA LA LA, but it's a fact. You get 2 points for winning, 0 points for losing, and 1 point for losing in OT. There is no such thing as a tie any more. I suggest you try to be less willfully ignorant of simple facts.
A team that makes it through 60 minutes with the same number of goals as the other team is tied with the other team and has earned 1 point for that tie.

They aren't given the point because they lose the quasi-hockey exhibition that follows. They have earned the point at the end of 60 minutes for being tied with the other team, just as they did before 1983.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I agree. There was nothing wrong with ties back in the old days.

But we simply do not have ties any more. We now get points for wins and for overtime losses. It's not an argument. It's a simple fact.

.....and there's no predictability to how they will go either is the problem. Might as well have them throwing dice out there. A team can be elite at them one year and poor the next.....and with teams making the playoffs by a point or two in the end, it's a little sketchy that a roll of the dice can determine the fate of a team that excels at 5v5 hockey or the plain regulor hockey and let's in a team that really should be there but had enough dipsy doodle random points to get in and the very thing that got them in doesn't even exist in the playoffs.

I accept it but ill always fight against it along with the cap system, stupid offside rules and silly trapazoids and over the glass penalties.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
LOL. Sigh. Yes everyone on earth gets that. But it's not called that, is what I'm saying. It's called an OTL point. If a person was interested in looking at the NHL standings page, they would clearly see that column. Here, let me help by attaching it. Do you see it? I know that once regulation is over, we have at least a point. But there are no ties! Its called an OTL(as in OVERTIME LOSS). ffs. :)

View attachment 607593

Completely understand.

It's renaming what has been there since 1928.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
LOL. Sigh. Yes everyone on earth gets that. But it's not called that, is what I'm saying. It's called an OTL point. If a person was interested in looking at the NHL standings page, they would clearly see that column. Here, let me help by attaching it. Do you see it? I know that once regulation is over, we have at least a point. But there are no ties! Its called an OTL(as in OVERTIME LOSS). ffs. :)

View attachment 607593

It's funny because it doesn't say OTL. It says OT. Point is for making it to OT

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Unless Samsonov is going to be out long term, do you bring Murray back anytime soon?
Yes…let him compete for a spot
No….keep the status quo
I would assume you bring Murray back as soon as he is 100% healthy, what other answer could there possibly be?

It is absolutely and technically correct, but meaningless in a world in which a .500 team is below average. The NHL has created a system (idiotic, in my view, but good for marketing of bad teams) in which fans of bad teams can point out how close they are to .500 (or that they are at or above .500) as if that doesn't make them all that much worse than the average team.

Last season the NHL mean (average) point % was .555. A .500 team was 9 points (or to put it in old style baseball fashion as you did, 9 games) below average.
Yup. These gimmick points have skewed everything to the point where .500 doesn't mean what it once did.

We ALL know it's called an overtime loss. Some of you just can't take the negative connotation that comes with that loser point we get. Now have fun out there. Imma moving on. ;)
LMAO. Hilarious that you say OTL, ask people "can you see it" and then when it's pointed out that you're the one who can't see as it says OT, not OTL you still ramble on as if you know what you're talking about.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

It's funny because it doesn't say OTL. It says OT. Point is for making it to OT
Checkmate.

Reactions: Macallan18

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015

I have to say I really wanted to see Keith Petruzzelli

Reactions: Nhlpowerweek

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I have to say I really wanted to see Keith Petruzzelli
I did too. But that's me the fan, that wants to be entertained. I think not playing him was the smart move though and if I was the one making the decision, that's the decision I would have made.

I also notice it doesn't say "tie" anywhere, which is what people have been arguing about. It's an OT loss and we all know it.

Gawd, Leaf fans are hopeless. :)
You're the one who posted an image proving yourself wrong and you're still rambling on? Go crawl under a rock or something, you're really embarrassing yourself now, geez Louise.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I dont think its a tradeoff, but we havent been a run and gun team for years and we arent built purely on offense. Weve been a solid two way team who gets a lot of scoring out of their top 6.

Matthews had 44 ESG last year, he has 2 this year. Overall, the big 4 is scoring about half as often as they did last year ESG. I cant see that continuing all year

Leafs were 2nd and 6th in league scoring the past two seasons, so there is definitely a power outage when it comes to offense.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
That was a great presentation but I’m not surprised they didn’t come out flying. That was a tough watch to see borje like that. Unfortunately it was more depressing than motivating.

Absolutely my thought as well. It might seem motivating in a Hollywood script kind of way but the reality is its likely hard to be fired up when you're witnessing someone who is struggling as bad as Borje.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
If you get really creative about it, you can pretty much find a way to diminish every win this team has ever had.

Reactions: willmma

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I would assume you bring Murray back as soon as he is 100% healthy, what other answer could there possibly be?

Yup. These gimmick points have skewed everything to the point where .500 doesn't mean what it once did.

LMAO. Hilarious that you say OTL, ask people "can you see it" and then when it's pointed out that you're the one who can't see as it says OT, not OTL you still ramble on as if you know what you're talking about.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Checkmate.
I’d bring him back , let him compete for a spot and if loses out they can always LTIR him. He’ll have to be much better than Kallgren in order to justify his cap hit.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Leafs were 2nd and 6th in league scoring the past two seasons, so there is definitely a power outage when it comes to offense.
Everyone’s pretty much on the same pace minus matthews and bunting so them piccin their game up and all should be well right

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
5pages or more about OTL and correctly calling a team .500….
I guess there is really nothing to talk about regarding the game

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I also notice it doesn't say "tie" anywhere, which is what people have been arguing about. It's an OT loss and we all know it.

Gawd, Leaf fans are hopeless. :)

Saying a team gets a point for the loss is strange.

They don't get any points for losing in regulation.

If the nhl is giving points for losses then regulation losses should get points too.

Yet they give a point if they lose after regulation. How do you explain that? Why does one earn a point and the other doesn't?

Reactions: Gary Nylund

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
5pages or more about OTL and correctly calling a team .500….
I guess there is really nothing to talk about regarding the game
Look at the points or record anyway you wish, IMO, the team doesn’t look that good*** in my eyes from watching the games, which is all that really matters.

*** good is relative to expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad