Confirmed with Link: Leafs signed Ron Hainsey to a 2 year deal $6 mil ($3 mil AAV)

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Cheap patchwork year.

It means that our prospects can develop appropriately in their respective leagues, without having the stress of being thrown into the NHL.

There is no rush to be a cup contender tomorrow.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It means that our prospects can develop appropriately in their respective leagues, without having the stress of being thrown into the NHL.

There is no rush to be a cup contender tomorrow.

I am not complaining. I dont want to go crazing like some here.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
New player development coach for the Marlies you mean? I guess Robidas will vacate that position now his contract is up? :)

You mean this isn't themarlies thread? :laugh:
I see a 6 or 7 D in his future, maybe next year to the marlies. His cap hit will show the leafs intentions for him.
That said he has lots of experience and to a young d core that could be useful

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
LHD

Likely means left side =

Rielly
Gardiner
Hainsey

Would have rather Dermott, Borgman, Rosen, Marcinin fought for the last spot instead.

I'm going to wait for the cap hit before I criticize the deal but I'm always worried about Lou in UFA. If its not a huge cap-hit, it'd be a great signing as a depth piece. Which means anything north of 2.5m is bad.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
WHen a younger guy like Kulikov is out there and plays a more physical game and you go for a 36 year old thats not a good sign

Younger?

Kulikov basically broke his back, falling into an open bench door.

He has the back of a 60 year old and has missed significantly more time than Hainsey.

What good is age when the old guy is the reliable one?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
2yrs for $3.25 total (1.6 cap hit) is reasonable is true. Hunwick replacement who has been around and can play solid bottom pairing minutes.

You need these cheap veterans in this cap system. Especially while trying to break in youth like Dermott.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
Younger?

He has the back of a 60 year old and has missed significantly more time than Hainsey.

Backs heal with time and the right rehab regiment. I would rather a young wounded soldier then a veteran on his last legs

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
He's never really missed much time.

Hainsey has missed 12 games over the last 5 seasons.

I'm more worried about him starting to suck than I am about him being injured.

Babcock might be very loyal to a vet like him and keep playing him even if he sucks.

I hope the AAV is under $2 million.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Younger?

Agreed. Plus it's only 2 years for low money. Who cares if Kuliov is younger when his body is a lot more beat up thanks to how he plays. It would be different if these were 4 or 5 year deals.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
This just tells me management feels Dermott isn't ready. Hainsey is just filling in for when he is ready.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Backs heal with time and the right rehab regiment. I would rather a young wounded soldier then a veteran on his last legs

Everyone I know with a serious back injury tells me they never ever feel the same again.

Back injuries are among the worst an athlete can have happen to them in all honesty.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Then why sign him if hes just going to get passed by a younger guy? What does that look like to free agents who want to sign here in the future

That if you want to play for a winning organization you better be able to beat the competition.

Why would we want to sign free agents who aren't confident in their abilities to beat our kids for a job anyway?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad