Confirmed with Link: Leafs signed Ron Hainsey to a 2 year deal $6 mil ($3 mil AAV)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The Hainsey takes this summer were so weird.

Hainsey has been a top quality #3/#4 defensive and PK dman his entire career, on mostly good dcorps, and was the #2 dman on the cup champs a few months ago.

But everybody decided to call him a bottom pair defenseman after we signed him, for some bizarre reason, even though he literally has never been a bottom pair defenseman, ever.

Agreed. It was actually really frustrating. I had many a argument over this subject with people. Hainsey played 12 mins of PK last night. Insane.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He looked really strong in the PK last night.

I still think as the younger guys on the bottom pair begin to further develop and get ready for more responsibility they can cut into his 5v5 minutes a bit. But it's good to have a guy like Hainsey for those PK and last few min of the game

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I was very impressed in game number one. Not slow at all which is what I expected. Good with the stick and the body. I think him replacing Hunwick is an upgrade and will make Reilly better.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
well theres a reason hes been 2nd or 3rd in ice time on his teams his entire nhl career, coaches will play players that are useful to them...hainsey has size, length, and moves around well...hes very good in the defensive and neutral zone

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
Is it more likely with defensive pairings that 1 will be decent in attack and the other will be 'more' defensive.

For example - Zaitseiv and Hainsey are the more defensive players while Reilly and Gardiner are better in attack?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Pens could have used him in their last two games.....15 goals against. Hainsey and his 20m a night will be very effective for the Leafs.

meanwhile, Hunwick's off to an awful start in pittsburgh.

not surprising, given that he is awful.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Haha!

Why did Pittsburgh ever sign the guy? He's been washed up for the last two full season here.

Hunwick was actually fantastic in the 2nd half of last season paired with Polak. Considering how inconsistent Rielly and Zaitsev were last year, having that veteran pairing was a big reason why the Leafs made the playoffs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
hunwick and polak looked decent in the 2nd half of the season thanks to getting sheltered with buttersoft quality of competition after getting buried the first couple of months in real top-4 duty. they are not good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad