GDT: Leafs@Sharks Monday 10:30 PM SNO

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hey Babcock, here is an idea. Dont say something if you arent going to follow through with it.
The 2 stooges JVR and Bozak back on the same line. So much for needing to improve our compete level.
We really need to get rid of them soon.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Why is there never a follow up question by the media when Babcock mentions how players have to earn their minutes? Bozak isn't earning **** and yet it's Leivo that sits?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Can't trade JvR or Bozak if they are not playing.

Hopefully there's a bigger picture/play we aren't seeing here. Don't think I've been as aloof about a coach stunting a player as much as Babcock has done with Leivo.

This is degrees higher than Corrado, Colborne, Holland..

And Hyman and others aren't qualms to me, as they are for a lot of fans here. Closest I would say since the post-lockout era would probably be Carlysle putting Grabo on the checking line...even then this is several notches higher.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I don't understand why Leivo can't rotate into the lineup for a number of players? He can play both wings and it would be good to see what he can do in both a top 6 and bottom 6 role. Guys who could use a night off: Martin, JVR, Marner, Komorov, Hyman. Especially in a back to back game, just sit one of these guys. It doesn't even have to be a punishment thing. Babcock could go to Hyman "Great game, you lead all forwards in ice-time... take a rest for a game and recover... we'll put Leivo in, but you'll be back in the next game". And even if Leivo does really well, just sit someone else next game and rotate Leivo around. We still need to see where he could fit into the team... and I think it's only fair to give him a few games to get his legs back after sitting for so long. I thought for a while now that a Leivo - Kadri - Brown line would be really good... but Leivo also looked good with Matthews when they are out there together on the PP.

I'm not talking about sitting Nylander or anything... but sit guys like Martin occasionally just so that Leivo can get some games in. Babcock managed to give Fehr and Rosen some games. Leivo had a good pre-season and did well last year I thought when he got to play. And now that we're losing, it's a good excuse to shuffle things around.

Reactions: PromisedLand

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Hopefully there's a bigger picture/play we aren't seeing here. Don't think I've been as aloof about a coach stunting a player as much as Babcock has done with Leivo.

This is degrees higher than Corrado, Colborne, Holland..

And Hyman and others aren't qualms to me, as they are for a lot of fans here. Closest I would say since the post-lockout era would probably be Carlysle putting Grabo on the checking line...even then this is several notches higher.

The only thing that would make sense to me is if they told Leivo this.

"We really like your game and see you as part of this core. We're actively trying to trade JVR and once that happens you will slide into his spot"

The thought that Babcock is purposely holding this player out because of something Mike doesnt like is scary.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
I don't understand why Leivo can't rotate into the lineup for a number of players? He can play both wings and it would be good to see what he can do in both a top 6 and bottom 6 role. Guys who could use a night off: Martin, JVR, Marner, Komorov, Hyman. Especially in a back to back game, just sit one of these guys. It doesn't even have to be a punishment thing. Babcock could go to Hyman "Great game, you lead all forwards in ice-time... take a rest for a game and recover... we'll put Leivo in, but you'll be back in the next game". And even if Leivo does really well, just sit someone else next game and rotate Leivo around. We still need to see where he could fit into the team... and I think it's only fair to give him a few games to get his legs back after sitting for so long. I thought for a while now that a Leivo - Kadri - Brown line would be really good... but Leivo also looked good with Matthews when they are out there together on the PP.

I'm not talking about sitting Nylander or anything... but sit guys like Martin occasionally just so that Leivo can get some games in. Babcock managed to give Fehr and Rosen some games. Leivo had a good pre-season and did well last year I thought when he got to play. And now that we're losing, it's a good excuse to shuffle things around.
Maybe because Leivo is signed for two years. Perhaps they know what they have in him and want him here next year when more spots are freed up.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
As much as Leivo earned a spot, does no one think that scratching/waiving JVR last game, will light a fire under his ass?

Imo he was ready and healthy to play, but Babs used "medical" as an excuse to rotate Leivo and kaps in.

I'm expecting a huge game from JVR tonight to prove he deserves to be on this team.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Maybe because Leivo is signed for two years. Perhaps they know what they have in him and want him here next year when more spots are freed up.
Leivo's an RFA after this season, and I think there's a chance he becomes a UFA depending on how many games he plays this year. the 2 year deal was signed last summer

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
As much as Leivo earned a spot, does no one think that scratching/waiving JVR last game, will light a fire under his ass?

Imo he was ready and healthy to play, but Babs used "medical" as an excuse to rotate Leivo and kaps in.

I'm expecting a huge game from JVR tonight to prove he deserves to be on this team.
I think the JVR medical issue was real from the awkward fall he had the game before, and looks like they're getting him back in as soon as possible with the speculation that he might not play tonight from the same injury

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
i love Babs but man he’s a prick sometimes with some players..i have not seen a punishment on players like bozak jvr komarov even if they play awful for 30 games in a row..this thing is getting old and i thought this management group does not allow things to happen like before..

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Rushing to put Martin in over Leivo is what's idiotic

Reactions: zeke

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

It's happened last season already, JVR played his hardest game after Babcock called his line out (against L.A)- probably the first and last time I saw him drive the net hard. Then he regressed back into the player he is, about a game after.

It's happened this year with Marner's demotion.

Genuinely, don't think JVR and Bozak will respond........it's not their fault per say but their game is what they are at this point. Can't really expect a Cow to be a Pig and vice versa.

They might have a bounce-back game against weaker teams over the course of the year but they're always going to be exposed by better, heavier teams IMO. I'm talking big picture considerations....

Also, Randy is right- Leivo has a minimum games played (off the top of my head I think its ~27) or he hits UFA. So we have to get on track with his game-time or he's going to be off the roster.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Chris Johnston ✔@reporterchris

The #leafs lines:
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Komarov
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Moore-Brown

1yia1g.jpg

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
IMO Rielly is really starting to turn a corner so far this season and I wouldn't be jumping at the idea of sticking him on the right side at this point, unless you assumed Gardiner would play the right side.

Gardiner back with Carrick and Zaitsev with Borgman?

Gardiner plays well with Carrick maybe that can sort him out?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
The only thing that would make sense to me is if they told Leivo this.

"We really like your game and see you as part of this core. We're actively trying to trade JVR and once that happens you will slide into his spot"

The thought that Babcock is purposely holding this player out because of something Mike doesnt like is scary.

Yea I'm not sure. Babcock has put Leivo into his dog-house and seemingly is pretty stubborn about it. Either that or he's seeing something else that we aren't.

At first, I thought he was just holding him to higher expectations, as he does all the young guys. He doesn't want them to pick up bad habits like some of the veterans on this team have. Now, I'm not so sure.

The media is soft with him about Leivo and the veterans. For as much coverage as this team gets, it's child's plays to what you'll see in non-hockey big markets.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It sucks seeing Leivo produce every single time he gets an opportunity and then be back in the pressbox. Babcock praises Leivo by saying he competes a lot harder than some of the guys that are in the lineup every day. Here's something worth trying Babcock: Give Leivo a chance every game if he competes every time he's in the lineup.

It's still October so Frederik Andersen still has an excuse to suck. Hope the Leafs can score 5 goals. I don't see how else they can win.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think the JVR medical issue was real from the awkward fall he had the game before, and looks like they're getting him back in as soon as possible with the speculation that he might not play tonight from the same injury

Seriously? f***.

How can Leivo become a UFA? Leafs have to prevent that or there is no way he's signing with the Leafs. A team like the Oilers will swoop in, play him with McDavid and we get to watch him score 25-30 goals on a different team instead of ours.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I can't believe that Babcock is sticking with the JVR - Bozak - Marner line. How much more evidence does he need that this line is too weak defensively?

Also... keeping Brown on the 4th line and Leivo in the press box? I thought that Babcock might have finally seen the light after his roster and lines last game... but it seems like he's just going back to business as usual. I hate that Babcock is so stubborn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad