Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ SENS, Saturday Night 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Longest ASB ever
Clearly the case for the Sens anyway, not other teams. Sens are among NHL teams having played the lowest number of games pre-ASG (#47 (2 in the east)). Post ASG, they now wait a damned week to play again letting teams that have played more pull even further away. It's moronic scheduling.

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021
Clearly the case for the Sens anyway, not other teams. Sens are among NHL teams having played the lowest number of games pre-ASG (#47 (2 in the east)). Post ASG, they now wait a damned week to play again letting teams that have played more pull even further away. It's moronic scheduling.
While the schedule has been questionable at best, this current situation doesn't contribute to that.
All teams have a bye of 8 - 11 days, around and including the Allstar break.
With some teams the Allstar break is first (as with the Sens); with other teams the Allstar break is last.

Sens break is 9 days.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
So AHL Allstar Ethen Allen on BEARs just beat McDavid's fastest skater time by 1/2 second! And no, this has nothing to do with Sens Leafs. Unless we can steal him from the Caps, sign him, and get him in the line-up by Saturday ;)

Reactions: Alex1234

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Hummmm, Steve Staios, our rookie GM was ……. “on a list of 17 scouts that were taking in the Islanders vs Leafs game on Monday” …… as reported in PostMedia today.

Was he pre-scouting the Leafs in preparation the Senators next game, vs the Leafs?

Was he interested in players, on either team, that may be available at the deadline that could be the veteran type of player he claimed he was in the market for?

Was he there as part of his quest to find the next head coach?

on another note, who would have guessed, of all of the NHL head coaches fired during this season, that DJS would be (one of?) the first, to find another coaching position, with a NHL team?

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Hummmm, Steve Staios, our rookie GM was ……. “on a list of 17 scouts that were taking in the Islanders vs Leafs game on Monday” …… as reported in PostMedia today.

Was he pre-scouting the Leafs in preparation the Senators next game, vs the Leafs?

Was he interested in players, on either team, that may be available at the deadline that could be the veteran type of player he claimed he was in the market for?

on another note, who would have guessed, of all of the NHL head coaches fired during this season, that DJS would be (one of?) the first, to find another coaching position, with a NHL team?

I doubt Staios would pre-scout an upcoming opponent for tactical reasons. More likley scouting trade assets, imo.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

It's not surprising at all that DJ found a job he's well respected around the league as pretty much everyone always mentionned. He's well liked by players, that's well documented. He's the perfect guy to have as an assistant since he relates to players and has experience as a head coach so It's not surprising.

This league is all about recycling coaches. Especially assistant jobs there are so many of them that guys who get fired typically get hired rather quickly.

Trust that if Berube or McLennan were ready to take a step down and get an assistant job they would've been hired immediately. I would've been more surprised if DJ actually got a head coaching gig but that was obviously not going to happen with much better and more experienced coaches out there.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I doubt Staios would pre-scout an upcoming opponent for tactical reasons. More likley scouting trade assets, imo.

is it still that the Senators are that thin on scouts, that the GM is scouting?

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
is it still that the Senators are that thin on scouts, that the GM is scouting?
Without taking the time to research each team's pool of pro scouts, I have seen other teams' GMs attend games of other teams. I would guess that the size of the Senators' pro scouting resources are slightly less than that of the average NHL team.

I'm the master at answering questions that I don't realize are actually rhetorical. My spidey senses are tingling here, though.

Reactions: Alex1234

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Without taking the time to research each team's pool of pro scouts, I have seen other teams' GMs attend games of other teams. I would guess that the size of the Senators' pro scouting resources are slightly less than that of the average NHL team.

I'm the master at answering questions that I don't realize are actually rhetorical. My spidey senses are tingling here, though.

well there was certain amount of criticism when the previous GM went on scouting trips, and it was usually accepted that there was a short staffed scouting department, and one would think that under new ownership and management that perhaps that may have been addressed by now.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
well there was certain amount of criticism when the previous GM went on scouting trips, and it was usually accepted that there was a short staffed scouting department, and one would think that under new ownership and management that perhaps that may have been addressed by now.

Maybe that would be a good main-boards question... does your GM personally scout NHL games?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
We’re going to lose against the leafs because of this comment. Nothing is ever easy with the sens, and the leafs are contenders while we’re not

with their goaltending the only thing the Leafs are contending for is tee of time come late April.

Leafs are going nowhere with what they have in net. Maybe Marksteom comes in to help because I can’t see the Leafs going into the playoffs with those goalies

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Good for DJ. Great person, smart guy too as he'd have still been sitting at home if he was waiting for someone to call him for a head coaching position like the others are.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Another Dorion Downfall !

Maybe that would be a good main-boards question... does your GM personally scout NHL games?
The buck stops at the GM for roster construction. If I were a GM I would want to see a player play before trading for him.

Reactions: Flamingo

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He's on a 2 week long break and there was a game 4 hours down the road, there was no need for a motive to take that game in :laugh:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It's not surprising at all that DJ found a job he's well respected around the league as pretty much everyone always mentionned. He's well liked by players, that's well documented. He's the perfect guy to have as an assistant since he relates to players and has experience as a head coach so It's not surprising.

This league is all about recycling coaches. Especially assistant jobs there are so many of them that guys who get fired typically get hired rather quickly.

Trust that if Berube or McLennan were ready to take a step down and get an assistant job they would've been hired immediately. I would've been more surprised if DJ actually got a head coaching gig but that was obviously not going to happen with much better and more experienced coaches out there.

DJ’s contract ends at the end of this season so he needed to start looking for a position asap. Other available head coaches might still have a few years left on their current contract and thus are not desperate to find a position.

• Haha
Reactions: swiftwin and Boud

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021
"Clearly the case for the Sens anyway, not other teams. Sens are among NHL teams having played the lowest number of games pre-ASG (#47 (2 in the east)). Post ASG, they now wait a damned week to play again letting teams that have played more pull even further away. It's moronic scheduling.
Another Dorion Downfall !"

All teams get a long break.
Details in #29, above.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
He's on a 2 week long break and there was a game 4 hours down the road, there was no need for a motive to take that game in :laugh:
LOL, would be funny if he was making a farewell-to-my-seasons-tickets tour in each NHL rink in the Atlantic division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad