Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Sens October 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It's Toronto, so obviously they're going to run over our goalie. Anderson tends to lose focus when they do that. The Lehner stares at them and they go away.

Having said that, rebound control is an issue with Lehner, so all in all I think it doesn't matter. Since Lehner started last game, I think Jack Adams is going to go with Anderson next game anyway.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The Leafs own us, it's just the way it is

I'm glad I was around for the Pizza Line days, did we ever crush them then! T'was good fun indeed

I think one of the main reasons why Andy's numbers against Toronto aren't great are linked to Kessel: Kessel does very, very well against us and Kadri too I think

I'm fine with Andy getting start, he's the number 1 and it's a huge game for us

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
What I have learned today:

a) Anderson is bad against the Leafs, except when he is good against the Leafs.
b) His good games can be dismissed because context, and his bad games are bad regardless of context.

Good work, team. I think we've nailed this one.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
You shouldn't remove the two shutouts but look at the context of those 2 shutouts.

First one: He ALWAYS plays stellar in his first showing whereever he plays, he is on a new team ready to show his worth and he played the best game I've ever seen him play.

2nd one: Towards the end of a brutal stretch for the Leafs at the end of the season where all hope is lost and he faced hardly any premium shots. The entire Leaf team was terrible that game.

Not trying to find excuses, even with those 2 games his GAA 3.05 and sv% .906 lol. I hope he plays and I hope he dominates but I don't wanna take that risk... not right now to a rival...

not trying to find excuses, but you are..... lol.
and they`re ridiculous. its NORMAL he beat the leafs because it was his first game in Ottawa and its NORMAL he shut them off a 2nd time cuz the Leafs were on a brutal stretch. Not because he was good or anything. its because the Leafs didnt show up. insane.

i just want a win, no matter who starts and if we lose not blame the goalie, unless well, he deserves it. but when we talk about Andy in this board, i get Lalime playoffs flashbacks where he was stellar and everyone blamed him for our crappy performances.

Oct 10, 2010
Leafs also haven't scored very much the last 2 games.. Watch them net like 1 or 2 vs. NYI and breakout in Ottawa for like 6 goals, ha

Oct 10, 2010
Should be interesting to see if any line up changes are made.

Does Cowan draw back in? What about Condra? Has Hoffman earned another game? Is Greening going to get another chance?

I personally hope the line up stays the same, but we have already seen Stache makes changes regardless if we're winning..

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Stone-Lazar-Chiasson
Smith-Zibanejad-Hoffman
Michalek-Legwand-Neil

Thoughts?

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Just checked his game logs (since he was traded to OTT)

W/L, SV%, GAA

W, 1.000, 0
L, .867, 4.10
L, .875, 5.00
W, .949, 2.00
W, .939, 2.00
L, .833, 6.00
L, .818, 4.02
L, .929, 2.01
W, 1.000, 0
L, .857, 5.02
L, .903, 2.78
L, .905, 3.69

TOTAL:

4-8 record, .906 sv%, 3.05 GAA

Remove the 2 shutouts and you get:

2-8, 0.887 sv%, 3.66 GAA

Those are some god awful numbers. Even with the 2 shutouts they are not starter worthy numbers.

But why would you remove the two shutouts? Did those games not count or something?

Othello*

I don't see why people are getting worked up by removing the two shutouts, even with them his stats are horrible

Unbiased homer

Classless
Mar 23, 2013
Petawawa
Going to this game, first sens vs leafs game for me. Pretty ****ing stoked, I'll be with 3 leafs fans and my gf. Gonna be a pretty awkward/drunk ride home either way haha Go Sens Go!!!

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Going to this game, first sens vs leafs game for me. Pretty ****ing stoked, I'll be with 3 leafs fans and my gf. Gonna be a pretty awkward/drunk ride home either way haha Go Sens Go!!!

Thats why we suck against Toronto in home games. Arena is filled by Leafs fans in proportion 3 to 1. :shakehead

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Yes, well, at most it tells us that sometimes stuff gets by him and sometimes rarely anything does. Not saying it shouldn't be a consideration, and not saying anyone is wrong. I just wanted more info and a fairer assessment of his outings rather than cold, and selective, statistical data. Maybe it is an issue? My memory of his games against the Leafs are shaky, and I don't think many here are in a different position. I'm sure it would prove edifying if anyone was.

Last year, for example, the team was garbage, goalies often left out to dry to face high percentage scoring opportunities, and, surprise, they weren't supermen. Bit of a chicken/egg conundrum but, if you ask me, crap team defense led to crap goaltending first. Everyone working by themselves. A recipe for failure.

For those who don't believe we've improved team defense so far, check out Lehner's post-game comments after CBUS and contrast them with some after his shoddier outings last year. Never singled anyone out, was professional, always said the buck stops with him ultimately, but he could damn well see what was wrong. Last game, it was like he stole my thoughts: shots were kept to the perimeter, dirt was cleared in front of him, they cleared his line of sight. Means more coming from him than some ******* mod huh? Anyway, these things matter, and do contribute to goalies looking good or bad on any given night.

I can believe we rode some stupendous efforts in net to the playoffs in the shortened season - I clearly recall them both stealing games we had no business winning - but that, not on every night and now I suspect we might have a bit of a different animal on our hands. It's early. I don't know yet, but it's a little encouraging. They - forwards and d - aren't mindless chickens in their own zone very often. Have to keep getting better there.

In any case, to the starter question again, I imagine the coaching staff has a handle on what ultimately falls on Andy's head and what doesn't in those Leafs games and who, given our current context, with both keepers playing more or less fine, can give us a solid game. Don't much care. Prepared for either. Confident in both for now. Reiterating, again and again.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Somebody mentioned it already but I think the point is moot. Lehner started last game and Andy is our "Number 1", so despite there being no rule against starting your back-up two games in a row, very little chance Paulrus will do it. For him it is very important to prevent any controversy over Lehner being perceived as taking Anderson's job away, which starting him twice in a row without a damn good reason would inevitably do.
As to the game, like that the Leafs are coming off a back-to-back, but games with them are inscrutable. Hope they don't catch us still napping from our long break.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Both our goalies have played unreal this season.

Anderson is our number 1 goalie, and has played like our number 1 goalie.

Lehner is our back-up, and has played like a number 1 goalie.

Lehner played last game.

We start our number 1 goalie, who has been playing like a number 1 goalie, who has had a rest period, against a team we will battle all season long for a playoff spot.

Seems like an easy answer to me.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
I am actually dont care, who our goalie will be for this game. I care about our scoring and physical play.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Going by past games against the Leafs, I imagine we'll take a penalty 50 feet away from the play a minute in and then the Leafs will score, probably around the 17 minute mark. Then we'll outplay them but we won't be able to put a puck past their sieve of a goaltender, and will end up losing on a shoddy goal despite outplaying them for the most of the game.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
You start Lehner

Go back and watch Tampa and Columbus games he won us both of those games

With Andy we are consistently behind the 8-ball don't know if it's a confidence issue or A lack of concentration but he always seems to let 2/3 horrible shots go in

It's like Maclean has to say he is are Number 1 for his psyche

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad