Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Hyman to a 4 year @ $9 mil ($2.25 AAV) contract.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Urgh, why so much term?

I like him fine as a player, but he's probably not going to get much better offensively.... would have preferred a shorter term deal. Babcock will get his man though.

Cap hit is fine-ish, but I don't like the trend of giving depth role guys so much term when they really aren't saving anything in terms of salary.

Yes, most of the bottom six should be on 1 or 2 year deals if you lose one that you want to keep so be it, they can replaced within or with 1 year to a vet.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
very well could be. there has been no word about him you could be right teams were asking about him apparently

I feel like at this point he's as good as gone unless we get rid of Bozak + JVR before the season starts and then we need another face off winning C

I would love to keep Brown,but we are about to be a top-heavy salary team in 2 years

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
The term is being put on because Lou/Babs/Shanny are identifying the core and the core support.
This will calculate everything and prepare for the finished product.
Definitely. There it is. Now we are better for years to come again. It's pretty ridiculous when our team has been rising all the time since Lou landed and he now makes again with these new deals as he got our other deals before this and people here are AFRAID :biglaugh: They banging and boomin when Lou doing deals with our best players in the league. We shown we can win with these fools. NOw we got vets to help them dorks out even. Lou has made this team so strong. We fighting to win again, just like last season. Y'all see, y'all see that again and again. Lou and his players are here to stay, for years to come. And we bout to win again. With our paid players of course.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The term is being put on because Lou/Babs/Shanny are identifying the core and the core support.
This will calculate everything and prepare for the finished product.

Well aside from touching on whether or not we should consider a support player as part of the core - without seeing an increase in his offensive production he's likely never going to be able to earn more money than this.

I just don't see what the Leafs gain from so much term.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
he has the skating and speed and hustle and defense to go along with just enough offense to play on any line if injuries occur, hes also elite on the pk

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Our PK having a steady dose of Moore/Hyman/Komarov/Brown/Kapanen.

Really puts pressure on teams loading up with 4 forwards and cheating. Having these guys are crucial in keeping our skilled guys rested and ready to jump the boards.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Our PK having a steady dose of Moore/Hyman/Komarov/Brown/Kapanen.

Really puts pressure on teams loading up with 4 forwards and cheating. Having these guys are crucial in keeping our skilled guys rested and ready to jump the boards.

You know hockey and Lou is apploading at this :clap: He smiling up there.

lschenn02

Jul 15, 2009
Fort McMurray
I truly don't think he leaves the top line with Matthews. Hes only had one full year in the NHL, he is terrible offensively but is something he can still improve on, could be a steal at 2.25 but won't hurt us even if he moves down to the 4th line penalty killing role. Also very tradeable.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
There was this post on our cap situation from Mouser. Looks like we are out of cap room at the moment and without the $s to sign Brown's RFA contract.

BTW, for any trying to work out how much space there is to add another player, here are some numbers that might help. CF is projecting next season's roster, but that's not the actual current cap total the Leafs are at. Teams are allowed to go 10% over the cap during the off-season, so the max off-season cap right now is $82.5m.

What is included in a team's cap during the off-season?
- All 1-way contracts. (note: small 1-way deals can be buried for cap relief in the regular season, but count fully in the off-season)
- All 2-way contracts are counted at the % of time the player spent in the NHL last season.
- All qualifying offers. (note 1: Players with 2-way QO's are based on % like 2-way contracts. note 2: Once a player is signed then the new contract replaces the QO cap amount.)

CF has the Leafs at $76,679,167 which doesn't include any % 2-way contracts. Adding in the other items CF isn't counting we can determine the Leaf's current off-season cap:

$76,679,167: CF's starting number
+ $750,000: Colin Greening 1-way contract
+ $725,000: Vincent LoVerde 1-way contract
+ $654,815: Nikita Soshnikov 2-way % (160 days)
+ $235,018: Frederik Gauthier 2-way % (49 days)
+ $67,148: Kasperi Kapanen 2-way % (14 days)
+ $11,250: Garret Sparks 2-way % (3 days)
+ $945,000: Zach Hyman QO
+ $715,000: Connon Brown QO

= $80,782,399 or $1,717,601 in cap room to sign another player right now (does not include the recent Hyman signing).

A better way to look at it if we back out the QO's gives a total of $79,122,399 or $3,377,601 in cap space to re-sign Brown/Hyman.

Someone is going out the door shortly
I wouldn't be surprised if something is already lined up

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I'm pleased with this. Keep a vital PK'er and energy/grit forward who plays next to our best player, though probably plays higher in the lineup than he should in his role.

Going to have to do some work to get Brown signed.

LeafsBro

34 I 91 I 16
Oct 18, 2011
Barrie, Ontario
Seems likely that he's destined to replace Komarov in that 3rd line role even though they are different players. Don't love the cap hit but it's not a horrible deal as some people are suggesting. He's at least young enough that I wouldn't expect him to regress as a player in the next 4 years.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Definitely. There it is. Now we are better for years to come again. It's pretty ridiculous when our team has been rising all the time since Lou landed and he now makes again with these new deals as he got our other deals before this and people here are AFRAID :biglaugh: They banging and boomin when Lou doing deals with our best players in the league. We shown we can win with these fools. NOw we got vets to help them dorks out even. Lou has made this team so strong. We fighting to win again, just like last season. Y'all see, y'all see that again and again. Lou and his players are here to stay, for years to come. And we bout to win again. With our paid players of course.

Yeah I love this. They are quickly identifying the pieces/chemistry needed to win. It's not all about what people think it should be.

Core = Matthews,Marner,Nylander,Rielly(signed),Liljegren,Andersen(signed)
Support = Hyman(signed),Zaitsev(signed),Brown,Kadri(signed)

Identify the Cap, identify the pieces, secure both.
At the end, leave enough space for whatever big piece might be UFA.
I'm loving this team build.

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
It's not a bad contract. He's a 3/4 liner in actual fact and may be playing that if marleau replaces him on Matthews wing. If marleau plays on bozaks line he's playing top line minutes... And the contract is well below avg for a 1st liner regardless if you hate him and he doesn't belong there... If he plays there he's getting paid on the cheap.

lschenn02

Jul 15, 2009
Fort McMurray
We also got him for the peak 4 years of his career for his style of play. Lots a wear and tare for his style. I'm glad we did 4x2.25 instead of 2x1.5 and then 4x3 or 4x4 to follow up those first two years.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Its fine. Its not great or terrible.

Hes a third line player with excellent PK abilities.

Pretty much. At least he has a pretty big role on the team, for better or worst. He kills a lot of penalties and he's shown to be pretty good there. Paying Martin his current cap hit is what people should be more upset about, not someone like Hyman.

Either way, he's not going to be hard to move down the line if it comes to that. Teams look for those kind of players all the time. I just hope he can chip in more offensively if he's going to be playing with our top stars.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Well aside from touching on whether or not we should consider a support player as part of the core - without seeing an increase in his offensive production he's likely never going to be able to earn more money than this.

He may be a fixture on the Mathews line and they want to tie him up now just in case he actually puts up some points next season

That's the best I can come up with because I would have bridged him

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Matt Cane's salary projection has been praised to the skies lately. It had Hyman at $2.1M, so not very unexpected. Although, as I see it that is inflated due to the line he played on, and the better move would have been 1 year extension and then sign him longer after this season when we know more what he is.

For those curious, Cane has Brown at $2.8M. Both Marleau and Hainsey came in at $3.9M, so that's one bargain and one huge overpayment. We already knew that about Marleau though.

Any chance you could post the link? I'm curious about the site.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Pens went 7 years falling short for a repeat until they got the depth pieces to help the core.
Players like Hyman/Brown (play up and down the lineup, play in any situation, play their hearts out, do the dirty work that the Stars can't do for 82 games) are the support needed.
Your core gets you to the playoffs. Your depth wins you the Cup. IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad