Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Hyman to a 4 year @ $9 mil ($2.25 AAV) contract.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Horrible contract.

Hyman sucks.

Why are we paying 4th liners this much?

We are going to be in a serious salary crunch in 3 years from now... and we can't afford to pay 4th liners this much money.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Also i get everyone hates watching Hyman beside Matthews, but he's very clearly a 3rd line capable player with great speed and PKing ability.

How can people complain about a 2.25m contract as if salaries arent going up

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Hyman is not a scrub.

Quality PKer and energy player.

Just needs to get away from the 1st line. That's what puts him down in everyone's eyes.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Also i get everyone hates watching Hyman beside Matthews, but he's very clearly a 3rd line capable player with great speed and PKing ability.

Right? This isn't 2005-2009 where these kinds of contracts looked bad on 3rd liners. This is probably close to the standard going forward now for 3rd/4th liners.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I would have offered this deal plus 250k so 2.5 for Brown. Hyman isn't good enough for a 2mill salary. They should have given him 1.1-1.4 million for 2 years. This deal could impact what other role players on the team ask for.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

As I said in the previous post, how do people feel if/when he's slotted 3rd line:
Hyman (2.25)...Kadri (4.5)...RW moving forward (possibly Brown at 3)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Right? This isn't 2005-2009 where these kinds of contracts looked bad on 3rd liners. This is probably close to the standard going forward now for 3rd/4th liners.

he is a 4th liner, he has 0 hands he is an energy PK guy. But in saying that you are right i suppose $2.25 isnt that bad for a 4th liner

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Matt Cane's salary projection has been praised to the skies lately. It had Hyman at $2.1M, so not very unexpected. Although, as I see it that is inflated due to the line he played on, and the better move would have been 1 year extension and then sign him longer after this season when we know more what he is.

For those curious, Cane has Brown at $2.8M. Both Marleau and Hainsey came in at $3.9M, so that's one bargain and one huge overpayment. We already knew that about Marleau though.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Fair contract.

He's a solid 3rd line player, who plays a bigger role for us. Long-term, I think he fits down the line up next year, before being the Komarov replacement beside Kadri and Brown

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Everyone breathe:nod: There isn't terrible. It means trades are coming and no Brown isn't getting 4, relax. prob 3.25-3.5. Hyman will continue to prove his importance and its only 4 years.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I wonder if Komarov is on the way out then. The Leafs need to move out 4 guys on their roster. You can say Bozak and JvR, but you still need to move out two of Komarov, Soshnikov, Kapanen, Rychel or Fehr (if you want to put one of them as a 13th forward, which is a major waste) in order to make room for everyone who should be in the NHL next year.

I just hope that more is going to happen because otherwise these Marleau and Hyman contracts are really bad. It's nice and all if you are a good management group, but that does not excuse making stupid moves.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I wonder if that 4 year deal (and money) is the Komarov replacement. Less than Leo for 4 years.

Hard to say because I think Komarov and Hyman are different players

With Komarov, I think he's a better finisher, more of an agitator and clearly a better defensive forward. To me, Komarov is a 3rd line player

With Hyman, you have a stronger skater, better penalty killer, better along the boards and with his size, I think he compliments our top players better.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
he is a 4th liner, he has 0 hands he is an energy PK guy. But in saying that you are right i suppose $2.25 isnt that bad for a 4th liner

It's the term, you don't give 4 damn years for hyman. Seriously they gave 4 years for Martin another 4th liner which was once again to much term

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Urgh, why so much term?

I like him fine as a player, but he's probably not going to get much better offensively.... would have preferred a shorter term deal. Babcock will get his man though.

Cap hit is fine-ish, but I don't like the trend of giving depth role guys so much term when they really aren't saving anything in terms of salary.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
We can replace what he brongs for much cheaper

We could yeah. But then we would LOSE hockey games. That's where its at with these players and human beings. You can get a guy with 800.000 but he doesn't do the "small" n "big" thangs like Hyman does. Hyman always gives you that extra stride, that extra push and even shortie changes. Not all suckas do that there. He therefore got that 2 mil deal from Lou, cause Lou seen that.

Hyman proved to be more than stronger than some other dorks. Fools. So therefore he going to be a leaf for life too.

We now got the best team in the world and so many talented forwards especially. Every ROLE has fullfilled. I want this team and so does Lou. We want this and got this, we made this happen. Y'all can talk the talk and words every day you want. We got us here and now we ready for that push. We got the best team for years. Others are jelious of us. That makes me and lou real happy.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I wonder if Komarov is on the way out then. The Leafs need to move out 4 guys on their roster. You can say Bozak and JvR, but you still need to move out two of Komarov, Soshnikov, Kapanen, Rychel or Fehr (if you want to put one of them as a 13th forward, which is a major waste) in order to make room for everyone who should be in the NHL next year.

I just hope that more is going to happen because otherwise these Marleau and Hyman contracts are really bad. It's nice and all if you are a good management group, but that does not excuse making stupid moves.

Kapanen needs to be kept cost controlled JVR replacement, JVR+Soshnikov would be for the best i think. Sosh isnt better than Kapanen and I think Rychel brings a different element we need

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
people thought $2.5 was too much for a 4th liner in martin, this is only $250K cheaper its too much for hyman

edit: if he replaces komarov and sticks on the 3rd line its a bit more palatable

Hyman's much better than Martin.

I would have liked either more term or less AAV, but whatever.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Urgh, why so much term?

I like him fine as a player, but he's probably not going to get much better offensively.... would have preferred a shorter term deal. Babcock will get his man though.

Cap hit is fine-ish, but I don't like the trend of giving depth role guys so much term when they really aren't saving anything in terms of salary.

The term is being put on because Lou/Babs/Shanny are identifying the core and the core support.
This will calculate everything and prepare for the finished product.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
A bit too high to my like - Shouldn't be more than $15.-1.75, any ways congrats to him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad