Leafs ranked 20th. by Hockey's Future (Not the Kessel Trade)

Disgruntled Observer*

So our prospects are really better than Detroits?

THN says they are.

I dare you to go post a thread on the Main boards that the HF ratings are BS and the Leafs have better prospects than Detroit.

I dare you.

So if I'm closed minded for having the audacity to consider a ranking list created by professional nhl scouts, then what should I be doing if I wish to assess leafs prospects compared with the rest of the league?
If a list created by professional nhl scouts doesn't count as a fair unbiased assessment... then what does?

Apr 1, 2010
NO your choice is to believe HF which ranks DET at 10th or THN which ranks DET 21st.

If you say it is THN, then I think you should make a thread on the main boards as to how Toronto's prospects are better than Detroits.

Apr 1, 2010
So if I'm closed minded for having the audacity to consider a ranking list created by professional nhl scouts, then what should I be doing if I wish to assess leafs prospects compared with the rest of the league?
If a list created by professional nhl scouts doesn't count as a fair unbiased assessment... then what does?
If you think THN's ranking is the right one then post the thread on the main boards.

Disgruntled Observer*

NO your choice is to believe HF which ranks DET at 10th or THN which ranks DET 21st.

If you say it is THN, then I think you should make a thread on the main boards as to how Toronto's prospects are better than Detroits.

As previously stated on several occasions, I trust a list created by professional nhl scouts more than lists that are not created by professional nhl scouts.
Seems like common sense.

I have not seen a single Red Wing prospect play ice hockey. Not one.
So it would be VERY silly of me to question the professional scouts that are paid tons of money to specifically assess these players.
I'm not saying these scouts are "gods" and know everything.

But they know SO MUCH more than me or you that it's pathetic that we even have to have this conversation.

Disgruntled Observer*

If you think THN's ranking is the right one then post the thread on the main boards.

Your dodging of this question is getting embarrassing.

Here it is again.

What do you think is a better benchmark to compare our prospects to the rest of the league than a list created by professional nhl scouts?

No spin. No talking about Detroit. No talking about HF's rankings. Just the question.

Here it is yet again.

What do you think is a better benchmark to compare our prospects to the rest of the league than a list created by professional nhl scouts?

Apr 1, 2010
Your dodging of this question is getting embarrassing.

Here it is again.

No spin. No talking about Detroit. No talking about HF's rankings. Just the question.

Here it is yet again.

It's like arguing with one of those pre-programmed baby phones that never changes the answer.

Which ranking is right?

THN? Then Go post a thread on the main boards that the LEafs prospects are better than Detroits.

HF Rankings? Explain individual players being ranked higher but the team ranked lower.

Pick now, or forever hold your peace.

(I've been to 3 weddings in 3 years)

Apr 1, 2010
As previously stated on several occasions, I trust a list created by professional nhl scouts more than lists that are not created by professional nhl scouts.
Seems like common sense.

I have not seen a single Red Wing prospect play ice hockey. Not one.
So it would be VERY silly of me to question the professional scouts that are paid tons of money to specifically assess these players.
I'm not saying these scouts are "gods" and know everything.

But they know SO MUCH more than me or you that it's pathetic that we even have to have this conversation.

So you believe that DET's prospects are not as good as Toronto's prospects.

You think THN is right?

Last edited:

Disgruntled Observer*

So you believe that DET's prospects are not as good as Toronto's prospects.

You think THN is right.

As stated over 5 times now... I put more weight in the opinions of professional nhl scouts at THN than HF.
I have no idea how many more times I have to say this.

I think professional nhl scouts know more about prospects than you, me, or "the main boards" at HF.
Imagine that... paid professionals know more than casual fans on a forum.
Shocking.

Disgruntled Observer*

It's like arguing with one of those pre-programmed baby phones that never changes the answer.

Which ranking is right?

THN? Then Go post a thread on the main boards that the LEafs prospects are better than Detroits.

HF Rankings? Explain individual players being ranked higher but the team ranked lower.

Pick now, or forever hold your peace.

(I've been to 3 weddings in 3 years)

I've answer this 6 times now.

Your turn.

I fully expect spin as your response.

Apr 1, 2010
As stated over 5 times now... I put more weight in the opinions of professional nhl scouts at THN than HF.
I have no idea how many more times I have to say this.

I think professional nhl scouts know more about prospects than you, me, or "the main boards" at HF.
Imagine that... paid professionals know more than casual fans on a forum.
Shocking.

So you agree that Toronto has better prospects than Detroit as according to THN?

Disgruntled Observer*

Which ranking is correct?

THN or HF?

Which one is "correct"?

What an asinine question.

In regards to nhl prospects, I put more weight in the opinions of professional nhl scouts (THN) than non professional nhl scouts (hf).

That is my answer. That's 7 times I've now answered.

Your question.

Apr 1, 2010
Which one is "correct"?

What an asinine question.

In regards to nhl prospects, I put more weight in the opinions of professional nhl scouts (THN) than non professional nhl scouts (hf).

That is my answer. That's 7 times I've now answered.

Your question.

So THN.

Fine let's see the reception you get when you post on the main boards that the THN rankings are correct and Toronto has better prospects than DEtroit.

C'mon be a Leafs cheerleader for once.

OUr Prospects are better than Detroits, regardless of what the latest HF rankings say.

Disgruntled Observer*

So THN.

Fine let's see the reception you get when you post on the main boards that the THN rankings are correct and Toronto has better prospects than DEtroit.

C'mon be a Leafs cheerleader for once.

OUr Prospects are better than Detroits, regardless of what the latest HF rankings say.

What exactly would that solve?
I've made it pretty clear that I think the opinions of professional hockey scouts or more important than casual fans on a message board.

I think you're just trolling me at this point.
One more time...

Apr 1, 2010
What exactly would that solve?
I've made it pretty clear that I think the opinions of professional hockey scouts or more important than casual fans on a message board.

I think you're just trolling me at this point.
One more time...

I'll take the pro scouts.

So that is THN.
So that means The Leafs are ahead of DET.
So are you going to admit that Burke has done a better Job assembling prospects than Ken Holland?

Disgruntled Observer*

So that is THN.
So are you going to admit that Burke has done a better Job assembling prospects than Ken Holland?

It's your turn.

Don't worry... we all know why you're avoiding this question.;)

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

So that is THN.

I wouldn't admit that at all because most informed people understand that a GM thats iced one of the absolute worst teams in the entire NHL over the past five years SHOULD and I mean SHOULD have better prospects than the GM who has never missed the playoffs and won Stanley Cups.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Teams that succeed in the ahl are generally well rounded with a lot of depth. Just look at JFJ's last marlies team. It was better than any Marlies team under Burke.

The problem is that very very very few of the "depth" players will see any nhl time whatsoever. So a successful ahl team doesn't translate into an improved nhl team down the road (again, just look at JFJ's spectacular Marlies team).

In regards to improving the nhl team, I would MUCH prefer an ahl team with three elite stars and no depth that does terrible in the standings than an ahl team with few stars at all, great depth, and does very well in the standings.

:laugh:

What was that you said about goal posts yesterday?

:laugh:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Common sense would dictate that you should trust the list created by professional nhl scouts more than the other.

Do you really think that you know better than all those professional nhl scouts that worked on this together? Professional nhl scouts that have seen all of these players actually play? Professional nhl scouts that are paid very high salaries based on the fact that they are skilled at assessing hockey talent?

Without having even watched the vast majority of these players play... you still think you know better?
This is megalomania. Unacceptable behaviour.

Do you have any idea how professional hockey scouts are hired? Do you think they pass a test that shows they have better assessment capabilities than others? My brother in law is an NHL scout. I can assure you that most people who hold roles as scouts, GMs, coaches etc. get their opportunities based on who they know, not what their abilities are. If you really wanted to get an idea of what stock to put in the list you are referring to, look at each scout's track record. The mere fact of being a professional scout means very little.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
How people take things personally on here, my god.
Anyway, can someone send the link to THN team prospect rankings? I can't find it.

MajorityRules*

So to sum up, you can either follow the rankings, blindly putting your faith in "professional scouts" or recognize these rankings as a limited educated guess.

Based on results over the years, I'll go with the second choice.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Which ranking is correct?

THN or HF?

Do you really believe one list is 'right' and the other is 'wrong'? How do you compare teams prospects without using resources like THN or hockey's future? If the Leafs were number one on either list would you be taking a dump all over it and arguing with everyone that these don't matter, or would you be constantly bragging about it?

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
LOL at all the whining and spinning about why our prospect ranking is so low . Why would people think they'd be higher when we have only one or maybe two higher quality prospects .

Last edited:

MajorityRules*

Do you really believe one list is 'right' and the other is 'wrong'? How do you compare teams prospects without using resources like THN of hockey's future? If the Leafs were number one on either list would you be taking a dump all over it and arguing with everyone that these don't matter, or would you be constantly bragging about it?

If it were a true read on prospects, both lists would be very close to identical. They aren't. Hard to take it as much more than a guess.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If it were a true read on prospects, both lists would be very close to identical. They aren't. Hard to take it as much more than a guess.

No different than the draft, there are no guarantees in the draft. None, as the future is unknown, a 1st. over all could just quit hockey, get run over by a bus, go play in Europe, or just plain suck against men.

Seems the best prospects make the NHL sooner, but then even that doesn't mean someone who takes longer won't be better.

I'd think NHL teams wouldn't hire a scout who didn't know how to scout, but they don't predict the future.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad