Leafs ranked 20th. by Hockey's Future (Not the Kessel Trade)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=646835

Here's a link to the WJC selection camps.

Players getting selected are likely a consideration for prospects at the under 20 age group.

Detroit has 3 on Team Canada.
Toronto has 3 between TC and the USofA., 1 Sweden.
Calgary 5 betweeen TC and USofA., 1 Finland.
Boston 3 on TC, 1 Russia,
Tampa 4 on Russia.
Nashville 2 on Finland, 1 Sweden, 1 Canada, 1 USofA.

I might have missed some ...

You can check out the selection camps at the link.

Last edited:

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Thought I went back in time or something, freaked me out :laugh:

I am curious as to what people have to say about last nights scrimmage involving Rielly, wasn't able to watch it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Do the experts at HF cross the country to watch these prospects play?

I always assumed the were no different than anyone else here, just more time on their hands.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=411469

Paired at the outset of camp with Dougie Hamilton, the Boston Bruins' top defensive prospect, Rielly would be getting his first crack at the tournament, off to a quick start in Moose Jaw this season (28 points in 33 games).

Who was there?

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=411464

The effect of the NHL lockout was evident at the intrasquad game.

The 3,000-seat arena at WinSport's Markin MacPhail Centre was full and people lined the upper rails two and three deep, even though the Western Hockey League's Calgary Hitmen were hosting the Kamloops Blazers at the Scotiabank Saddledome the same night.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
The last thread got derailed, so this makes it clear where we want the discussion going, rather than another 15 pages of the same old Kessel trade rehash.

Ahh. It just seemed like a WJHC thread that was named incorrectly.

P.S. Considering this thread contains WJHC talk, does anyone know if TSN will be re-playing the 4:30 am games during the days/evenings. If they are, I would be willing to stay away from all possible media outlets/human beings until the games are re-played later on. It's always holiday tradition to have the game on at night during boxing day and new years eve while the parties are going on. Sucks if the 4:30 and 9:00 am games are all that will be available.

Last edited:

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London

P.S. Considering this thread contains WJHC talk, does anyone know if TSN will be re-playing the 4:30 am games during the days/evenings. If they are, I would be willing to stay away from all possible media outlets/human beings until the games are re-played later on. It's always holiday tradition to have the game on at night during boxing day and new years eve while the parties are going on. Sucks if the 4:30 and 9:00 am games are all that will be available.

I imagine they will be showing some/all Canadian games during the 7pm slot. I'm away for the tourney so I miss it all regardless :laugh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I imagine they will replay them quite often.
Worse possible year to have the WJHC outside N.A.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010

Yes. They are playing them at different times.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=4124

Here are the times.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Awesome, thanks.

It's going to be really difficult to not find out the scores all day!

I was at the World Jr camp yesterday and Rielly looked great....he always has had the ability to play up to his competition and he did that again. He made passes that a few of the forwards were not ready for.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The last thread got derailed, so this makes it clear where we want the discussion going, rather than another 15 pages of the same old Kessel trade rehash.

If we can not discussed the causes of our ranking.....

Then we were ranked 20 and dropped 2 spots.....nothing else to discuss other then a lot of excuses and a conspiracy theory.

End of Thread.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If we can not discussed the causes of our ranking.....

Then we were ranked 20 and dropped 2 spots.....nothing else to discuss other then a lot of excuses and a conspiracy theory.

End of Thread.

Here's an idea ... discusss the prospects and rankings.

If you have to turn everything into the Kessel trade then just don't bother posting in the prospects thread.

Should be an easy concept to follow.

Use PM to talk to each other, there were only about 4 people involved in the Kessel debate so it isn't worthy to dominate a prospects thread.

Apr 1, 2010
Thought I went back in time or something, freaked me out :laugh:

I am curious as to what people have to say about last nights scrimmage involving Rielly, wasn't able to watch it.

Ya. I did a double take.

The paper seemed to be pretty positive.

RNH is rooming with MacKinnon.

So....are these rankings bogus or what? :naughty:

Gatorade*

Here's an idea ... discusss the prospects and rankings.

If you have to turn everything into the Kessel trade then just don't bother posting in the prospects thread.

Should be an easy concept to follow.

Use PM to talk to each other, there were only about 4 people involved in the Kessel debate so it isn't worthy to dominate a prospects thread.

Surely you understand that trading two lottery picks has a direct impact on prospect rankings.

Your attempt to censor that fact is puzzling.

Disgruntled Observer*

Surely you understand that trading two lottery picks has a direct impact on prospect rankings.

Your attempt to censor that fact is puzzling.

To be fair, the thread did get way off topic and was talking more about Kessel as a player, and possibly resigning, etc.
Even I was getting annoyed at the off topic Kessel debate in that thread. Me...

Back on topic, I think it's important to state that both HF and the Hockey News (whose list is created by professional nhl scouts) rank the leafs as 20th.
I mean... that really does say a lot...

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Not really.

HFBoards has rated the Leafs much higher before, and it turned out to mean nothing as well.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
On the subject of prospects and rankings...I'm frequently told all that matters is results. I see one team with heralded prospects tearing up the AHL yet sadly not even a playoff team. Not sure what to make of it. Need someone to tell me.

Apr 1, 2010
To be fair, the thread did get way off topic and was talking more about Kessel as a player, and possibly resigning, etc.
Even I was getting annoyed at the off topic Kessel debate in that thread. Me...

Back on topic, I think it's important to state that both HF and the Hockey News (whose list is created by professional nhl scouts) rank the leafs as 20th.

I think it is an obvious example of how screwed up these ranking are when HF ranks DET 10th and THN ranks DET 21st.

Disgruntled Observer*

On the subject of prospects and rankings...I'm frequently told all that matters is results. I see one team with heralded prospects tearing up the AHL yet sadly not even a playoff team. Not sure what to make of it. Need someone to tell me.

Teams that succeed in the ahl are generally well rounded with a lot of depth. Just look at JFJ's last marlies team. It was better than any Marlies team under Burke.

The problem is that very very very few of the "depth" players will see any nhl time whatsoever. So a successful ahl team doesn't translate into an improved nhl team down the road (again, just look at JFJ's spectacular Marlies team).

In regards to improving the nhl team, I would MUCH prefer an ahl team with three elite stars and no depth that does terrible in the standings than an ahl team with few stars at all, great depth, and does very well in the standings.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...rdiner-no-longer-of-first-round-pedigree.html

"Why we don’t think Gardiner would be a first-rounder in a 2008 re-draft is the number of that year’s draftees who have surpassed him in the eyes of our scouting panel. Twenty prospects from the 2008 draft now rank ahead of Gardiner in terms of long-term NHL upside. They include (in the order they were drafted):

Nikita Filatov, LW, Columbus, drafted 6th overall.
Mikkel Boedker, RW, Phoenix, drafted 8th overall.
Cody Hodgson, C, Vancouver, drafted 10th overall.
Kyle Beach, LW, Chicago, drafted 11th overall.
Joe Colborne, C, Boston, drafted 16th overall.
Greg Nemisz, C, Calgary, drafted 25th overall.
Jacob Markstrom, G, Florida, drafted 31st overall.
Vyacheslav Voynov, D, Los Angeles, drafted 32nd overall.
Jake Allen, G, St. Louis, drafted 34th overall.
Patrick Wiercioch, D, Ottawa, drafted 42nd overall.
Justin Schultz, D, Anaheim, drafted 43rd overall.
Luke Adam, C, Buffalo, drafted 44th overall.
Zac Dalpe, C, Carolina, drafted 45th overall.
Patrice Cormier, C, Atlanta, drafted 54th overall.
Marco Scandella, D, Minnesota, drafted 55th overall.
Danny Kristo, RW, Montreal, drafted 56th overall.
Adam Henrique, C, New Jersey, drafted 82nd overall.
Braden Holtby, G, Washington, drafted 93rd overall.
T.J. Brodie, D, Calgary, drafted 114th overall.
Andrei Loktionov, C, Los Angeles, drafted 123rd overall."

These 20 players have completely shifted positions in Future Watch 2011 based on the scouting feedback. But a 2008 re-draft would see Gardiner selected in the middle of the second round at the highest because 24 players from that draft are in the NHL now and another 20 are rated higher than the Wisconsin defenseman.

We report this not to intentionally temper the Toronto enthusiasm on gaining a first-round prospect, only to pass along an unbiased progress report on Gardiner’s status in the scouting community.

Yeah, it says a lot...just not what you think.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad