Leafs Prospects at the WJC

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I cannot see Dermott not making it. He was arguably Canada's top blueliner in that showcase tournament in August and has been very consistent all year. His two way game and mobility are exactly the traits needed for this type of tournament. I also think the USA will pick both Bracco and Piccnich.

I don't trust HC's selection process, I would not be shocked if they chose big name high picks like Fleury over someone like Dermott. They seem to have a bias towards players who have a long history with them over guys who have been ascending and made a name for themselves more recently. But it did seem like they took note of him in the summer tourney (he was hard to overlook) and gave him a big role, so hopefully that won't happen here.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Really hope they end up letting those two go. You can learn a lot more in that two week tourney than you can playing a couple mid-season weeks of AHL games, that's for sure.

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
I don't trust HC's selection process, I would not be shocked if they chose big name high picks like Fleury over someone like Dermott. They seem to have a bias towards players who have a long history with them over guys who have been ascending and made a name for themselves more recently. But it did seem like they took note of him in the summer tourney (he was hard to overlook) and gave him a big role, so hopefully that won't happen here.

A lot of it has to do with age, and in turn, experience. Dermott still has 2 (?) years of eligibility left whereas this is Fleury's last chance to make it. Could be a reason why Chychrun may not make the roster, or at the very least be the 7th D

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
A lot of it has to do with age, and in turn, experience. Dermott still has 2 (?) years of eligibility left whereas this is Fleury's last chance to make it. Could be a reason why Chychrun may not make the roster, or at the very least be the 7th D

Probably more to do with Fleury being a better dman

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
In addition, I think after the WJC there will be roughly 40 games left in the NHL season so the possibility of a call up is there as I think that's the cut off for his ELC slide

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
In addition, I think after the WJC there will be roughly 40 games left in the NHL season so the possibility of a call up is there as I think that's the cut off for his ELC slide

40 games is the cutoff for RFA sliding a year(7 more RFA years after this year if he doesn't get 40 games)

9/10 is the cutoff for ELC sliding.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

You don't think there's more to gain from playing a high profile international tourney in front of 20,000 cheering people? You think a player gets more from the ~5 AHL games played in the same time?

You can't replicate that kind of high pressure situation. Sure seems like it did Max Domi ok.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
You don't think there's more to gain from playing a high profile international tourney in front of 20,000 cheering people? You think a player gets more from the ~5 AHL games played in the same time?

You can't replicate that kind of high pressure situation. Sure seems like it did Max Domi ok.

Max Domi was in the OHL. The WJC would have been a step-up for him in terms of competition.

The AHL is a superior competition level than the WJC.

Also Nylander has already been there, done that. That was Domi's first chance to attend.

Not the same thing at all.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

This is also Dermott's last chance to make it, he's a late 96.

Anyway, my predictions:

Marner is lock for TC, and Dermott should also make the team.

For Sweden, Timoshov should be pretty close to a lock. If their management is really high on Lindgren, he might make it as the 7th/8th dman. I don't think Nylander will be released, but if he is, he would be their best player hands down.

I would say Kapanen is more likely to be released, consider he wasn't very good in the tourney last year and he isn't playing such an important role for the Marlies.

I also think 1 of Piccinich/Bracco will make the American team.

Dzierkals won't be at the main tournament, but he could be the best player from D1 this year.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Max Domi was in the OHL. The WJC would have been a step-up for him in terms of competition.

The AHL is a superior competition level than the WJC.

Also Nylander has already been there, done that. That was Domi's first chance to attend.

Not the same thing at all.

So you think a few day games riding the bus around middle america on a team that can afford to healthy scratch them are worth more?

Players outside the NHL almost always play their draft +1 year. Who was the last high profile player left out - Zbenajad?

Backhandshelf81

Jun 14, 2013
I believe I read that one of the Sweden bigwigs skipped out on watching Timashov when they were over here, indicating that he likely is not on their radar.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You'd think so but I believe they did go and watch Nylander.

Our Nylander or Alex Nylander?

I heard they went to watch Alex but not Timashov, according to most of the Swedish posters in the international subforum they expect he's a lock, he looked really good in their camp or whatever and the coach had high praise for him

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Our Nylander or Alex Nylander?

I heard they went to watch Alex but not Timashov, according to most of the Swedish posters in the international subforum they expect he's a lock, he looked really good in their camp or whatever and the coach had high praise for him

I don't see how they can't take Timashov, given the way he's playing. There can't be that many eligible Swedish forwards that are performing better than him this year.

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
Isn't there an agreement with the AHL? Aren't the Leafs required to release anyone currently in the AHL to play in the WJC if they get picked?

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
I think it should fall on Nylander to make the decision. If the Leafs keep him down in the minors they should allow him to play the WJC. At this point Nylander should be getting a chance with the Leafs, and if they are not going to give that to him they should let him dominate at the WJC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad