Leafs Prospects at the WJC

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Here's a list of some Leafs prospects that might have a chance to play at the WJC this year. Some are locks, some are on the bubble, and some don't have much of a shot.

Canada: Marner, Dermott, Nielsen
Sweden: Lindgren, Timashov, Nylander
Russia: Korostelev
United States: Bracco, Piccinich
Finland: Kapanen

Who will make it? What role will they play? Which players will you be watching closely?

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Here's a list of some Leafs prospects that might have a chance to play at the WJC this year. Some are locks, some are on the bubble, and some don't have much of a shot.

Canada: Marner, Dermott, Nielsen
Sweden: Lindgren, Timashov, Nylander
United States: Bracco, Piccinich

Who will make it? What role will they play? Which players will you be watching closely?

Marner and Dermott on Canada is almost certain. Nielsen has an outside chance.

Nylander will definitely play for Sweden if the Leafs let him. Timashov has an excellent chance to make it. Doubt Lindgren does this year.

Korostelev will be in tough to make Russia.

Bracco and Piccinich could both make it, but I see them being left off the US team. Advantage would go to Bracco though between the two.

Kapanen is a lock in Finland if the Leafs allow it.

Also, Dzierkals would surely make team Latvia if they have a team.

I'd say the Leafs will have 5-6 players participating in the WJC.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Marner and Dermott on Canada is almost certain. Nielsen has an outside chance.

Nylander will definitely play for Sweden if the Leafs let him. Timashov has an excellent chance to make it. Doubt Lindgren does this year.

Korostelev will be in tough to make Russia.

Bracco and Piccinich could both make it, but I see them being left off the US team. Advantage would go to Bracco though between the two.

Kapanen is a lock in Finland if the Leafs allow it.

Also, Dzierkals would surely make team Latvia if they have a team.

I'd say the Leafs will have 5-6 players participating in the WJC.

Unfortunately, Latvia is in Division I again this year, so we won't get to see Dzierkals in the main tournament. Maybe we'll see him next year, if Latvia moves back up.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Marner - lock if healthy
Nylander - lock if healthy and released
Kapanen - lock if healthy and released
Timashov - probable, played well at Lake Placid summer tournament
Dermott - on bubble, played well in the summer but a lot of competition
Lindgren - unlikely, well down the depth chart
Bracco - good shot but not a sure thing. The US has a lot of skilled forwards
Piccinich, unlikely, see above.
Nielsen, not even invited to the WHL Russia games, very unlikely

Four seems a conservative total with the possibility of more, if healthy.

champs*

Marner - lock if healthy
Nylander - lock if healthy and released
Kapanen - lock if healthy and released
Timashov - probable, played well at Lake Placid summer tournament
Dermott - on bubble, played well in the summer but a lot of competition
Lindgren - unlikely, well down the depth chart
Bracco - good shot but not a sure thing. The US has a lot of skilled forwards
Piccinich, unlikely, see above.
Nielsen, not even invited to the WHL Russia games, very unlikely

Four seems a conservative total with the possibility of more, if healthy.

Marner
Nylander
Kapanen
Timashov
Lindgren

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Marner, Nylander, Dermott, Timashov, Kapanen, Bracco, Korostelev.

Should be a fun tournament for us. 1 or 2 of those guys will be walking out with Gold Medals

champs*

willie leads the tourney in points if he plays with marner second :nod::nod::nod:

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Leafs are not going to let Nylander or Kapenen go, so your looking at Dermott, Timashov, Bracco, and Marner as the 4 that will be playing.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Nylander won't be going to the WJC. I'm almost certain about that. Far too important for the Marlies to miss him for a tournament he's all ready played in. They are focused on his NHL development.

Kapanen could be going because he's been injured a lot all ready and could use the tournament to get back into game shape.

I think the following will go:

Canada: Marner (Dermott last few cuts)
USA: Bracco
Sweden: Timashov, Lindgren

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Super Dave bang on except for Lindgren

Apparently they are high on him. He's playing in the SHL, all though not exactly dominating, at least showing he can play against adults and a lot of great players. I think he makes it, but probably closer to a 50% chance.

And I think Swedens WJC roster doesn't have a lot of depth on defence.

He wasn't at their summer camp though so you're probably right.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Canada: Marner, Dermott(maybe)
Sweden: Nylander, Timashov
USA: Bracco

This World Juniors is going to be a real treat for Leafs fans. We have key players on multiple contenders. We could very well see Marner face off against Nylander in the finals.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
http://www.tsn.ca/all-star-game-changes-coming-boucher-returning-1.395711

WJC DOUBTFUL FOR NYLANDER, KAPANEN

The Toronto Maple Leafs haven’t given any thought, at this point anyway, to loaning William Nylander and Kasperi Kapanen to the Swedish and Finnish national junior teams for the 2016 WJC.

So on the sliding scale of Yes-Likely-Doubtful-No, the chances of the two 19-year-olds, currently playing for the AHL’s Toronto Marlies, are in the doubtful category, which is to say the door hasn’t been slammed shut just yet but the mere fact the Leafs haven’t given much thought to the notion is telling.

The Leafs like the progress their young players are making with the Marlies and wouldn’t be eager to disrupt them.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'd say at least 5-6 guys are at the World Juniors. It all depends on if they are released to play by their pro teams etc.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The WJC is more of a showcase tournament than anything else. It's a player's chance to show where he stands with his age peers. As far as I'm concerned it serves little purpose for players who are already professionals and in the occasions when an NHL organization sends their teenaged pro to the tournament it's usually to help out their friends at a national hockey program. There's more to learn about becoming a future NHLer in playing at the higher level of AHL hockey. If the player is a part timer or down in the lineup then I can see the point so it might apply to Kapanen but it certainly serves no benefit for Nylander.

I'll predict:

Sweden: Timashov, Engvall, Lindgren
Canada: Marner, Dermott
U.S.: none

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I think Willie and Kapi gotta go to WJC. Great experience for the kids.

Nylander already experienced it last year...his development with the Marlies is more important. He has to develop as a pro so going over to a meaningless showcase tournament with kids at his age or younger and dominating does what exactly?? besides show everyone again that he's talented. That's nice and all but his continued progress to becoming an all around pro is better served in the AHL.

Is it really going to be beneficial for him as he puts up 4 or 5 points a game against a piss poor team or playing 1st line minutes with the Marlies? I think it's a pretty easy answer.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Nylander already experienced it last year...his development with the Marlies is more important. He has to develop as a pro so going over to a meaningless showcase tournament with kids at his age or younger and dominating does what exactly?? besides show everyone again that he's talented. That's nice and all but his continued progress to becoming an all around pro is better served in the AHL.

Is it really going to be beneficial for him as he puts up 4 or 5 points a game against a piss poor team or playing 1st line minutes with the Marlies? I think it's a pretty easy answer.

2 weeks won't make a difference

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Canada: Marner, Dermott
Sweden: Timashov (Nylander - Leafs won't allow)
United States: Bracco

So I would say 5 - 6

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I feel like the Leafs should allow Nylander to make the decision for himself, in regards to staying in the AHL or going to play for Sweden. If he really wants to be representing his country at the WJC again this year, I think it's smart for the Leafs to accommodate this. Conversely, if he wants to stick with the Marlies, it would be better for him to stay put.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I feel like the Leafs should allow Nylander to make the decision for himself, in regards to staying in the AHL or going to play for Sweden. If he really wants to be representing his country at the WJC again this year, I think it's smart for the Leafs to accommodate this. Conversely, if he wants to stick with the Marlies, it would be better for him to stay put.

I agree. If Nylander and Kapanen are adamant they want to stay, I can't see the Leafs forcing them.

I cannot see Dermott not making it. He was arguably Canada's top blueliner in that showcase tournament in August and has been very consistent all year. His two way game and mobility are exactly the traits needed for this type of tournament. I also think the USA will pick both Bracco and Piccnich.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad