Leafs Prospects at the WJC

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So you think a few day games riding the bus around middle america on a team that can afford to healthy scratch them are worth more?

Players outside the NHL almost always play their draft +1 year. Who was the last high profile player left out - Zbenajad?

It's simple. AHL > WJC.

Nylander is the MOST important piece of the Marlies. It's to the interest of the Marlies (owned by the Leafs) to keep Nylander for many reasons. If Nylander was struggling and/or wasn't that big important piece, I'm sure they would let him go.

There is ZERO incentive for Nylander to be loaned for a tournament of a few weeks, risk getting injured while the Marlies are competing.

I mean, should McDavid go to the WJC if he's healthy? He's a +1 draft player. It's not like Edmonton is winning the cup...

Last edited:

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Isn't there an agreement with the AHL? Aren't the Leafs required to release anyone currently in the AHL to play in the WJC if they get picked?

I don't believe the AHL has such an agreement, the main reason being that so few teenagers are able to play in the AHL due to the NHL-CHL agreement (also, most Euros don't come over to the AHL while still in their teens).

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
the people saying they don't nylander at the juniors are the same people who put their kids to bed at 8 pm and don't leave milk and cookies for santa

just miserable people

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
It's simple. AHL > WJC.

Nylander is the MOST important piece of the Marlies. It's to the interest of the Marlies (owned by the Leafs) to keep Nylander for many reasons. If Nylander was struggling and/or wasn't that big important piece, I'm sure they would let him go.

There is ZERO incentive for Nylander to be loaned for a tournament of a few weeks, risk getting injured while the Marlies are competing.

I mean, should McDavid go to the WJC if he's healthy? He's a +1 draft player. It's not like Edmonton is winning the cup...

Agreed. I wouldn't mind at all for Kapanen to go though, actually I think it could maybe help him with confidence if he does well (not that his lacking per se but being out of action/injuries).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad