Prospect Info: Leafs Prospect Camp: July 7-11

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think it's really close between Nylander and Ehlers, I got the impression we were going to draft either one of them at 8, and if they were both gone we were dropping down a few for Larkin.

Can you explain why you think there is a big gap (>>) between them?

I think it's more like splitting hairs than >>

Like I said, it's more how highly I think of Nylander. The kid has the potential to be a star. Heck, when he was in NA, this draft was being referred to as the Ekblad/Nylander draft. When he went to Sweden he lost a lot of hype.

Ehlers is a very good player, but to me Nylander is just a step above.

Nylander is >> than Ehlers because the Leafs picked him , had we picked Ehlers he would have been >> Nylander.:amazed:

Couldn't be more wrong. I have been going on about Nylander since September in the draft thread.

How about don't ****ing assume things :laugh:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Couldn't be more wrong. I have been going on about Nylander since September in the draft thread.

How about don't ****ing assume things :laugh:

and if we picked Ehlers you`d be pimping him regardless of whether you were going on about Nylander

It`s unfortunate some fans just can`t appreciate we drafted a very talented prospect and hope he develops into a quality player . There`s no way of knowing whether we picked the better prospect between Nylander and Ehlers at this time .

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That's so far from the truth :laugh:

You have no clue what I would do :laugh: :shakehead:

If you ask any of the regular draft posters who my favorite prospect from this draft was, they would all say Nylander.

And no, I wouldn't be pumping Ehlers like Nylander just because we drafted him because 1. I was pumping Nylander LONG before he was a Leaf, and before we were even in a position to draft him.

Get off your damn horse son

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Nylander was a bit of an unknown for most of us. Hard to judge from YouTube videos of games in Sweden. I liked what I saw during the Words U18. It was just a glimpse but at least I could see the entire games and not just highlights.

I really want to see him in prospect camp and in the NHL training camp and see how he plays against his peers and eventually older guys in NHL preseason.

Glad we took the high return possibility rather than a safe pick. I know a guy like Ritchie has a lot of potential as well, but I cringe at what he could turn out to be. Rather have a kid with high skill burn it out trying than struggle through mediocrity then fade away.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That's so far from the truth :laugh:

You have no clue what I would do :laugh: :shakehead:

If you ask any of the regular draft posters who my favorite prospect from this draft was, they would all say Nylander.

And no, I wouldn't be pumping Ehlers like Nylander just because we drafted him because 1. I was pumping Nylander LONG before he was a Leaf, and before we were even in a position to draft him.

Get off your damn horse son

I didn`t say weren`t pimping him before the draft , i just say said you`d be pimping whoever we took after the draft and judging by your 12000 plus posts that`s a fair assumption .

If you want to be considered an objective poster then you should start posting objectively and in this case there`s no way to know Nylander is a far greater prospect than Ehlers at this time.

Also if you`re going to run around threads pimping-defending-making excuses for pretty much every move the team makes don`t be shocked when people don`t take your opinion seriously .

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
what i liked about the nylander highlight was that he backchecked. i liked ehlers as well, (so i guess like other fans i was thinking like the scouting staff), but if we dropped to get any of fiala/fleury/milano and ho sang/ mccann, i would have been fine.
i think this draft year will be better than last, but we'll see.

my preference would have been bennett then nylander then ehlers. i question draisaitl's skating, ekblad would have been great to replace phaneuf eventually (or sooner), virtanen has a lot of attributes but we do need a high end center who has great vision.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
what i liked about the nylander highlight was that he backchecked. i liked ehlers as well, (so i guess like other fans i was thinking like the scouting staff), but if we dropped to get any of fiala/fleury/milano and ho sang/ mccann, i would have been fine.
i think this draft year will be better than last, but we'll see.

my preference would have been bennett then nylander then ehlers. i question draisaitl's skating, ekblad would have been great to replace phaneuf eventually (or sooner), virtanen has a lot of attributes but we do need a high end center who has great vision.

How can anyone question Draisatl's skating. His skating is fine. He isn't Kessel, but he sure isn't Clarkson either. I think these things get blown out of proportion far too much

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I didn`t say weren`t pimping him before the draft , i just say said you`d be pimping whoever we took after the draft and judging by your 12000 plus posts that`s a fair assumption .

If you want to be considered an objective poster then you should start posting objectively and in this case there`s no way to know Nylander is a far greater prospect than Ehlers at this time.

Also if you`re going to run around threads pimping-defending-making excuses for pretty much every move the team makes don`t be shocked when people don`t take your opinion seriously .

Well first, no I wouldn't have. I had a list of players I wanted, and a list I didn't, but I LOVE Nylander. Not because he is a Leaf (and that makes me happy), because I love the kid as a prospect and see a **** ton of potential in him

Both are skilled players, and I see more skill, and more potential in Nylander. Thus, Nylander > Ehlers personally.

I don't defend "pretty much every move the team makes". I don't react crazy and **** on every move either.

Did I like the Clarkson contract? Not at all. No one did. However I was willing to give the guy a chance.

Did I like the Bolland trade? Not really. Like Bolland as a player, didn't like giving up three picks

Did I like the Gunnar trade? Not really, but I really like Polak and I understand why the trade was made.

Do I defend moves, no, but I don't go bat**** crazy on moves I don't like either.

As for my opinion being taken seriously, 1. I know many people do, and 2. I really do not care if people like, or dislike, my opinion. Doesn't ruin my life any.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The way i see it, this draft had Ekblad all alone at the top, then 6 other comparable prospects behind him - reinhart, bennet, draisatl, dalcolle, nylander, ehlers.

I'm stoked we got one of those six, and i don't think we can say any of them clearly have an edge over the others......though i will say i'm glad that our member of the six is the kid whose skill and skating is second to none of the others.

Sir Yeti

Jul 15, 2014
How can anyone question Draisatl's skating. His skating is fine. He isn't Kessel, but he sure isn't Clarkson either. I think these things get blown out of proportion far too much
I think Draistal will be one hell of a player.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
The way i see it, this draft had Ekblad all alone at the top, then 6 other comparable prospects behind him - reinhart, bennet, draisatl, dalcolle, nylander, ehlers.

I'm stoked we got one of those six, and i don't think we can say any of them clearly have an edge over the others......though i will say i'm glad that our member of the six is the kid whose skill and skating is second to none of the others.

in my opinion ekblad will be the worst out of all of them. a lot of people think he has #2 defenseman upside like a seabrook or an ej or even a phaneuf. of course he may turn out better but i have a hard time seeing him ending up like doughty, pietrangelo or a hedman type.

as for the rest, i think reinhart/bennett/draisatl are going to be unbelievable at the nhl level. all 3 are defensively responsible an have high offensive potential. dal colle/nylanders/ehlers might have more purely offensive upside but a well rounded center >>> an elite scoring winger. (toews> kane even though kane puts up more points)

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think there are a lot of good players that will come out of this draft, but will say I'm really happy with how the first round worked out for us. Just so many of those weaknesses focused on personality and holding onto the puck. Doesn't seem much to worry about with his character and he can definitely dish the puck when he wants to.

Lot of good upside with Nylander and hope he turns out to be one of the best guys coming out of this draft. It'd be nice :).

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
in my opinion ekblad will be the worst out of all of them. a lot of people think he has #2 defenseman upside like a seabrook or an ej or even a phaneuf. of course he may turn out better but i have a hard time seeing him ending up like doughty, pietrangelo or a hedman type.

as for the rest, i think reinhart/bennett/draisatl are going to be unbelievable at the nhl level. all 3 are defensively responsible an have high offensive potential. dal colle/nylanders/ehlers might have more purely offensive upside but a well rounded center >>> an elite scoring winger. (toews> kane even though kane puts up more points)

You don't consider Toews an elite centre, only well rounded?

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Don't know why some throw out ">>" this early, especially since most here haven't seen Nylander play, aside from the U18s.

Good to see Toninato impressed. He had a little bit of hype going into his NCAA rookie year but that faded throughout the year

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014

So, did you think that Fleury and Virtanen were drafted too high?

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Yeah, I wonder whether Carolina and Vancouver will be regretting their selections.

I really hope we made the right choice between Ehlers and Nylander.

At least Nylander can potentially play C.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Ehlers is real good too. I would have been happy to have him.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
You don't consider Toews an elite centre, only well rounded?

i guess it depends on how we define elite. i was referring to points. toews greatness comes from his selke caliber defense and his roll as captain. he is arguably the best captain since messier but he doesnt put up more offense then kane.

players like toews, kopitar, and bergeron are all pretty comparable. all great but the greatness comes from them being well rounded where as a center like giroux,tavares, and stamkos comes from offense.

what do you prefer a selke winning center who puts up ~65 points or a 100 point average defensive center? i almost think its better to have a few less points but selke caliber defense. seems to work for boston.

most people consider toews a 1st line center yet dont consider bergeron a 1st line center. are they that different? kopitar is as good defensively and puts up more points yet most people would prefer toews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad