Line Combos: Leafs Power Play

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Obviously, the PP #1 this year has been dynamite. #2? Not so much. But how will things will shake out when Willie gets back? Should Kadri stay with the big boys and WN goes to the 2nd unit? Or does Naz move?
Or how about this...Kadri seems to be a bit of a 3rd (5th) wheel on the #1. I think his obvious goal scoring ability is getting lost with all the firepower already on the ice.

Would a 2nd unit with Nylander and Kadri as the focus be a better use of resources? Moving Leivo, or Marleau, to the 1st unit in Naz's place wouldn't disrupt things much, if at all.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Leafling

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Don't change PP1.

PP2 doesn't need to be good, we don't need to balance it out cause PP1 should be out there for 1:30 every time. We just need PP2 to get a faceoff in the offensive zone then it's gg.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
No team in the league gives a f*** about how good PP2 looks.

It took our moron coach 2 years to figure it out but it's finally happened. The Marner/Matthews unit looks unstoppable, leave everything the way it is.

KyleSeaBass

Oct 5, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
PP1

Matthews-Tavares-Marner

Rielly-Nylander

PP2

Marleau-Kadri-Leivo

Gardiner-Kapanen

Our first unit look deadly right now, but I don't think it's a good idea to put all three of our top centres on a single unit. Kadri looks pretty lost and neutered compared to the rest of the guys on the unit anyways. Marner and Tavares seem to have great chemistry right now, but with Willy on the right point making cross seam passes across the ice to Matthews it can get even better.

The second unit is a lot more balanced with Kadri on it and has speed to burn. More than good enough to score their fair share of goals.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
PP1

Matthews-Tavares-Marner

Rielly-Nylander

PP2

Marleau-Kadri-Leivo

Gardiner-Kapanen

Our first unit look deadly right now, but I don't think it's a good idea to put all three of our top centres on a single unit. Kadri looks pretty lost and neutered compared to the rest of the guys on the unit anyways. Marner and Tavares seem to have great chemistry right now, but with Willy on the right point making cross seam passes across the ice to Matthews it can get even better.

The second unit is a lot more balanced with Kadri on it and has speed to burn. More than good enough to score their fair share of goals.

Sorry but could you just elaborate on how Kadri looks lost on the PP ?

Reactions: Gary Nylund

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
Why change something that’s working? When Willy is back, put him on the second unit until he wins his spot back on PP1.

He has a lot to prove when he comes back, nothing will be handed to him.

KyleSeaBass

Oct 5, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry but could you just elaborate on how Kadri looks lost on the PP ?

5th wheel on ice after Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Rielly. Most of the play goes through Marner and Rielly, while Tavares and Matthews are the finishers.

I don't see how he's going to be too effective on that first unit.

Move him down to the second unit and not only do you have a bit more balance, but it reunites Nylander and Matthews who have great chemistry.

This all depends on when/if Willy signs of course.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Considering how deadly the 1st PP has been and Kadri isn't getting as many touches.

Why not when Nylander is back have something like

1st PP... Matthews Tavares Marleau Reilly Marner

2nd PP... Kadri Nylander Kapanen Gardiner Dermott

I think those 2 PP would be great

I know don't fix what isn't broken... but 1st PP would still light it up... and a lot of skill still on the 2nd

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
PP1

Matthews-Tavares-Marner

Rielly-Nylander

PP2

Marleau-Kadri-Leivo

Gardiner-Kapanen

Okay, so Willy is on the right, Matthews is on the left, so Marner is playing bumper? ewww, gross. That's terrible. If there were a change it'd be Marleau coming in for Kadri, not Willy.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
I seem to think that too, the talent on ice in tavares, matthews, marner n rielly is way too much to have kadri or nylander as well. But i guess why fix something that aint broke.

I can see nylander, kadri, marleau, gardiner, and kapanen/leivo forming a formidable second unit though

Play kapanen or leivo in place of naz on the 1st.

Reactions: Burnie97

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
PP1

Matthews-Tavares-Marner

Rielly-Nylander

PP2

Marleau-Kadri-Leivo

Gardiner-Kapanen

Don't mind it, but really, if it's not broke, why fix it?

PP1: Matthews-Tavares-Marner-Kadri-Reilly

PP2: Nylander-Marleau-Kapanen-Johnsson-Gardiner/Dermott

Johnson's got to be employed in situations where his skill can be determined useful or not. I'm a fan of his and I think he needs PP time if he's going to be effective going forward as a top 9 option. He and Kapanen have history together and it puts these players in proper context to our (LETHAL) first power play unit.

I think Kadri's a fantastically skilled hockey player and his grit supplement's JT's on the first PP unit much the same way having to cover Matthews on one side and Marner on theater becomes a logistical nightmare. Kapanen's got to be the Kadri on the the second unit while Marleau provides net presence and while Nylander and (hopefully) Johnsson plays on one side with Nylander quarterbacking the other. If Johnsson fails in the experiment, I think you slot Dermott or possibly Brown into the role.

But the first unit should be allowed to continue.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
PP2 needs less Brown and Ennis, and much more Kappy and Johnsson.

but Babcock is weird.

Reactions: Klinton

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
who needs a 2nd PP unit????

Just put the first unit out there and give them the goal before the puck even drops. It'll save the other team 2 wasted minutes to try and catch up to us :naughty:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
No team in the league gives a **** about how good PP2 looks.

It took our moron coach 2 years to figure it out but it's finally happened. The Marner/Matthews unit looks unstoppable, leave everything the way it is.

Our 1st powerplay unit has been a top 5 powerplay unit for the past 2 seasons.

It was 2nd in the league last season.

Our "moron" coach already had it figured out. Now he's trying something different to make sure teams don't get familiar with what we throw at them.

Reactions: Welsh Maple Leaf

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
No team in the league gives a **** about how good PP2 looks.

Bingo. I'm bewildered by how many coaches have yet to figure out that the best way to optimize offence is to throw your best offensive players on one unit together, and play them for the full two minutes. Players don't get tired passing pucks around in the offensive zone; there's little to no physical exertion involved in that. Coaches still feel like using multiple units is a chance to spread the wealth and display a more balanced offence. I think it's bull****

Reactions: IPS

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Our 1st powerplay unit has been a top 5 powerplay unit for the past 2 seasons.

It was 2nd in the league last season.

Our "moron" coach already had it figured out. Now he's trying something different to make sure teams don't get familiar with what we throw at them.

But it's clear that having Matthew and JT instead of JvR and Bozak is an upgrade.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
But it's clear that having Matthew and JT instead of JvR and Bozak is an upgrade.
Yeah it sounds like he forgot that 2/5ths of the PP unit left the team.
It's still pretty much the same setup for the first unit, just better pieces...

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Assuming the first PP unit remains successful, I think Nylander goes to the second PP unit in place of whomever's not in the lineup of Johnsson, Ennis or Leivo, to join with Marleau and Gardiner.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Bingo. I'm bewildered by how many coaches have yet to figure out that the best way to optimize offence is to throw your best offensive players on one unit together, and play them for the full two minutes. Players don't get tired passing pucks around in the offensive zone; there's little to no physical exertion involved in that. Coaches still feel like using multiple units is a chance to spread the wealth and display a more balanced offence. I think it's bull****

There are many different personalities in an NHL dressing room and a coach has to balance those emotions along with his gameplan.

You start to create a serious divide in the locker room when guys aren't getting some PP time whether it's Nylander, Marleau, or Gardiner. This is why coaches use two PP units even if the 1st unit is stacked to the moon.

Sure you'll give the PP unit #1 every possible minute but what about the 5v5 play? Are the guys left out going to give it their all? Will they be reasonably motivated?

A coach has to look at the bigger picture. While a player should remain professional in such situations, a lot of them aren't going to take kindly to a reduction in quality minutes, especially when it hurts their pay later on. This is why Babs and many coaches run the two unit approach (of course preserving energy matters too).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00