Prospect Info: Leafs Pick #185 -Nikita Korostelev - RW - Sarnia Sting OHL (RUS) 6' 1" 195

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
Keep it in perspective, he was passed over by 30 teams through 184 picks. Toronto obviously had Stephen Desrocher rated higher. He is what he is - a skilled inconsistent prospect. I hope he is a home run. Love the pick, but give him a 20% chance of making it. His risk/reward reminds me a little of Mikhail Stefanovich from the 2008 draft.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I was impressed during Mitch Marner's pressers where he thanked his mentor and long time development Coach Rob Desveaux for being a constant voice of feedback for Mitch. His parents even acknowledged Coach Desveaux's importance in Mitch's journey.

Maybe Nikita needs someone like this to be a sounding board or a mentor in these early years of OHL hockey. The right voice can sometimes set everything straight again.

Last edited:

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Keep it in perspective, he was passed over by 30 teams through 184 picks. Toronto obviously had Stephen Desrocher rated higher. He is what he is - a skilled inconsistent prospect. I hope he is a home run. Love the pick, but give him a 20% chance of making it. His risk/reward reminds me a little of Mikhail Stefanovich from the 2008 draft.

FWIW it could be possible that he was a top 120 player on 15-20 teams lists but each time they went to pick they had someone who was ranked even higher available.

I highly doubt he was a 7th rounder on every teams lists but instead each/some teams just had someone who they rated higher available still.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
http://thehockeywriters.com/2015-potential-draft-steals/

RW Nikita Korostelev, 185th overall (Toronto Maple Leafs)

Perhaps the most puzzling draft day fall of all, Nikita Korostelev was almost unanimously a well-regarded prospect, ranking inside the top 60 prospects on three occasions leading up to draft weekend. Finishing as high as 46th on The Hockey News’ annual draft rankings, Korostelev was expected, if not guaranteed to hear his name called by the end of the 2nd round. However, he did not get to pull on an NHL sweater until the 4th pick of the 7th round, where Toronto was quick to call his name.

Korostelev has long been a heralded prospect, getting selected in the first round of the 2013 OHL draft ahead of fellow Maple Leaf Mitch Marner. While he did not post the staggering numbers that Marner did, Korostelev used his incredible shot and passing ability to average nearly a point per game for an offensively weak Sarnia Sting team. Korostelev’s shot is especially dangerous; ESPN analyst Corey Pronman ranked his shot second in the entire draft only to Pittsburgh draft pick Daniel Sprong (it’s interesting to note Toronto picks Mitch Marner and Jeremy Bracco also ranked highly in Pronman’s eyes). While his skating has been criticized, Korostelev’s deadly shot and high-end offensive ability should make him a very valuable prospect for the rebuilding Maple Leafs. To pick him in the 7th round was a coup for Mark Hunter and the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Will the Sting be better this year?

Zacha might not be back.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
For people wondering why he was a non factor at prospects camp.

Source: http://editorinleaf.com/2015/07/16/toronto-maple-leafs-prospect-camp-review/

Good for the Leafs. He injured it in December, returned and apparently played with this injury since January.

http://www.rawcharge.com/2015/6/22/8822475/2015-nhl-draft-nikita-korostelev-profile

Apparently, amongst the best even strength production in the draft with 20 even strength goals.

Mentions his Even Strength Points, 5v5 points/60 at 2.18

Is that true?

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Overlooking his shoulder injury when mentioning

seems like an oversight.

He was leading scorer for his team with that injury, and had a slightly better PPG than Zacha.

I think Korostelev greatest weakness is his lack of understanding or ability to want to play defense.

He is always the last man back defensively and the first man to want to leave the zone looking for breakout passes, and doesn't really want to get involved or engaged defensively to help his defense out.

His strengths his 100ft offensive game and his weakness the other 100ft defensively. That is the main reason why I think a lot of teams passed on him despite his offensive talents.

The things that use to irritate me about Kessel and his defensive play seems to apply here with Korostelev. His game seems more suited for the International big ice game and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the KHL in a few years unless he changes things up.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think Korostelev greatest weakness is his lack of understanding or ability to want to play defense.

He is always the last man back defensively and the first man to want to leave the zone looking for breakout passes, and doesn't really want to get involved or engaged defensively to help his defense out.

His strengths his 100ft offensive game and his weakness the other 100ft defensively. That is the main reason why I think a lot of teams passed on him despite his offensive talents.

The things that use to irritate me about Kessel and his defensive play seems to apply here with Korostelev. His game seems more suited for the International big ice game and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the KHL in a few years unless he changes things up.

Well, except was Kessel ever accused of being physical?
But he also needs to find the physical aggression that he played with as an OHL rookie in 2013/2014.

or

Curtis Joe from Elite:

"Doesn't shy away from the physical game."

That he was not physical while having a should injury would surprise who?

And he might be playing with one of next year's picks: Jordan Kyrou

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009
Strange he fell so far. Hopefully he follows the Brandon Saad formula. Similar size/ similar stats in draft year, playing through injury.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Good for the Leafs. He injured it in December, returned and apparently played with this injury since January.

http://www.rawcharge.com/2015/6/22/8822475/2015-nhl-draft-nikita-korostelev-profile

Apparently, amongst the best even strength production in the draft with 20 even strength goals.

Mentions his Even Strength Points, 5v5 points/60 at 2.18

Is that true?

When it comes to the junior hockey I don't have any good sites for their stats so I would not know if those numbers are true or false but I know from watching some games of Sting before his injury he was really playing well and did has some physical edge to his game. Once his shoulder heals I would assume he is back to playing that game again.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
When it comes to the junior hockey I don't have any good sites for their stats so I would not know if those numbers are true or false but I know from watching some games of Sting before his injury he was really playing well and did has some physical edge to his game. Once his shoulder heals I would assume he is back to playing that game again.

Here is a CHL stats link: http://chlstats.pythonanywhere.com/players/

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT

Thanks Mess and coded in Python I love it even more!

Anyways Mess to your post about his 200 ft game you are right he is not a stalwart on the defensive side of the game and he does need to work on it but that being said as some have said he did suffer a shoulder injury and it really effected his desire to be grinding it out. I am sure we have all had injuries before and we tend to avoid anything that could further harm it,

Moonman

Jul 3, 2015
http://thehockeywriters.com/2015-potential-draft-steals/

RW Nikita Korostelev, 185th overall (Toronto Maple Leafs)

Will the Sting be better this year?

Zacha might not be back.
They should be much better. Jakob Chychrun looks like he's going to be the 2nd best talent for the 2016 draft, behind only fell American Auston Matthews.

I live down the street from the Sting's arena, so I'll be able to chip in with some prospect reports.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
An HF Sting fan posted a comprehensive write-up on every training camp skater from the intra-squad scrimmages:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1947601

About Nikita specifically:

"18 Nikita Korostelev (RW) – skating remains an issue particularly in lateral movement (rarely uses crossovers)..improved as the game went on…executed one of the filthiest shootout goals I’ve ever witnessed to end the second scrimmage"

piikerr

Jul 4, 2014
Mississauga
My buddy who played with him in Sarnia said he's got an unreal shot, great offensive awareness. He compared him to a slow Ovechkin and said if he could improve his skating this year, shed a few pounds and round out his D game, he could be a massive steal, and be a future 2nd liner depending how hard he works.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Still surprised he was drafted as late as he was. Absolute steal for us with our last pick in the draft.

He was definitely a good value pick but labelling him a steal is a little much as of right now.

He will need to improve his game considerably to be considered that. His skating is a big problem among other things that will also need to improve. Offensive skill level is not the only thing that matters.

I see a lot of Michael Ryder in him to be honest. They also have similar height/weight and stats at the same age. Great shot, good around the net but slow and defensive game definitely not something to count on. I was surprised he was drafted so late (I thought he was drafted in the 4th or 5th round at the time of the draft) so I think we definitely did well there. A lot of potential and the kind of picks that you make in the 7th round.

Last edited:

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I figured I'd bump this. Korostelev's production this season is pretty similar to last year, around a PPG. I've been following his stat line closely but haven't seen him play too much. Can anyone who's been watching Sarnia this year tell me how he's looked so far?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
He was definitely a good value pick but labelling him a steal is a little much as of right now.

He will need to improve his game considerably to be considered that. His skating is a big problem among other things that will also need to improve. Offensive skill level is not the only thing that matters.

I see a lot of Michael Ryder in him to be honest. They also have similar height/weight and stats at the same age. Great shot, good around the net but slow and defensive game definitely not something to count on. I was surprised he was drafted so late (I thought he was drafted in the 4th or 5th round at the time of the draft) so I think we definitely did well there. A lot of potential and the kind of picks that you make in the 7th round.

I have to disagree Dave, he has to become an NHLer for him to be a steal IMO. Even if he is just a fourth liner as a 7th rounder that is a home run.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I figured I'd bump this. Korostelev's production this season is pretty similar to last year, around a PPG. I've been following his stat line closely but haven't seen him play too much. Can anyone who's been watching Sarnia this year tell me how he's looked so far?

He could become a steal of this draft (drafted 195th overall), I am really excited about this kid. He is leading his team with 15 points, and production wise he is 2nd to Zacha (.92 vs .88)

I see him as a 3rd / 4th liner at NHL level (still a steal considering his draft selection), still young and need to improve on various levels

Even though I said 3rd / 4th liner at NHL level but it's too early to say any thing (let's hope for the best)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad