Prospect Info: Leafs Pick #185 -Nikita Korostelev - RW - Sarnia Sting OHL (RUS) 6' 1" 195

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I really hope so. I remember him being viewed as a late second round early third round talent in 2015 by scouts. A lot of what he becomes in the future will be owing to how much he can improve his skating.

He was a 25-40 overall guy before he got injured too. After his injury he was a late 2nd/early 3rd, but for some reason dropped to the 7th.

Whatever, we'll take him. Another guy who can play well in the top 9 wing going forward, or turn into a valuable piece we can use to fill some other hole.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Another 2 goal game tonight. 8 goals in 5 games. Entering his draft year he was viewed as a potential first rounder in a deep draft. Would be huge if we found a gem in the 7th.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That 2nd goal is ridiculous but wow who is that defenseman he looks so bad on that play

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Lol wtf. Why did he give the puck to the defenseman like that? He's lucky he wiffed on it.

Looks like something he's practiced. Not something he did by mistake and lucky to get away with. Yes it's skill challenging skill but it worked and he will try it again. To stand out from the pack players need to play to their own strength not others. It's the OHL.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Good for him. Had a better rookie tournament this year too. He'll be another long distance project. Guessing a 4 year OHL, then 2 with the Marlies before we know what we have.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Looks like something he's practiced. Not something he did by mistake and lucky to get away with. Yes it's skill challenging skill but it worked and he will try it again. To stand out from the pack players need to play to their own strength not others. It's the OHL.

If so, I hope he stops practicing turning the puck over and instead continues to practice maintaining possession :laugh: I can see why he's a project, but looks like he can score goals so that's promising.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
well that second move won't ever work in the NHL, but the kid's got some hands. Nice considering he was tossed in the trash bin after last year. Not all kids develop in a smooth arc.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

Looks like he's trying to go through the defenseman's legs but he gets a stick on it and deflects to the inside instead and Korostelev just went with it, got outside and beat him to the puck. Filthy though....this kid's big tool was supposed to be his release, but he's scoring all his goals using the hands instead

In It 2 Winnik

TankArmy4Puljujarvi
Dec 28, 2013
Toronto
Another assist last night and a goal and two assists the night before. Currently sitting tied for fourth in the OHL with 14 goals, in less games than all ahead of him besides Debrincat. Not too bad of a start for him, a .875 goals per game ratio looks good.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Another assist last night and a goal and two assists the night before. Currently sitting tied for fourth in the OHL with 14 goals, in less games than all ahead of him besides Debrincat. Not too bad of a start for him, a .875 goals per game ratio looks good.

Yeah I haven't watched him but apparently he's been really good. On another note Debrincat is a really good prospect, wish we got him

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
i think the only thing he needs is to work on his acceleration or start and two way play. if i could do everything he does in junior at nhl level speed, then we have a top 6 player. it's a longshot, but he has improved a lot already.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
i think the only thing he needs is to work on his acceleration or start and two way play. if i could do everything he does in junior at nhl level speed, then we have a top 6 player. it's a longshot, but he has improved a lot already.

Great pick by the Leafs in the 7th. Surprising he fell that far if you think about it.
Watching the clip on Bo Horvath the other night during the Leafs Canucks game, it gives you and idea of how much skating can be improved by coaching, even for NHL players.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Nikita Korostelev named to Russia's world junior championship preliminary roster (Thursday, December 1, 2016)

LINK ---> http://www.theobserver.ca/2016/12/0...-world-junior-championship-preliminary-roster

Nikita Korostelev
Right Wing -- shoots R
Born Feb 8 1997 -- Moscow, Russia
19 yrs. ago
Height 6.01 -- Weight 203

RECENT STATS:

2013-14 Sarnia Sting - OHL
60 Games... 17 Goals... 21 Assists... 38 Points... -35
-------------------------------------------------------------
2014-15 Sarnia Sting - OHL
55 Games... 24 Goal... 29 Assists... 53 Points... +4
2015 OHL PLAYOFFS
5 Games... 1 Goal... 2 Assists... 3 Points... +2
2015-16 Sarnia Sting - OHL
53 Games... 23 Goals... 19 Assists... 42 Points... +13
2016 OHL PLAYOFFS
7 Games... 0 Goals... 5 Assists.. 5 Points...
*2016-17 Sarnia Sting - OHL
25 Games... 16 Goals... 14 Assists... 29 Points... -5 *PPG+

Drive: All Nikita Korostelev's 2015-16 Goals & Highlights - TML

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
He has cooled off considerably. Scoreless (with 2 assists) in 8 straight games. 26 shots on goals in that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad