Proposal: Leafs - Panthers

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
I would, but I don't think Dubas will. I don't think this current Leafs is better than Tampa, Vegas, Colorado, Carolina, Islanders. Winnipeg will be close too. I don't really want to give up futures to upgrade this team, but I think that's the direction Dubas might head in. I'd rather re-tool and free up some cap space, because when we signed the big contracts, the anticipation is that the cap will go up by alot, but the cap is flat and Matthews, Marner and Tavares might be leading the league in terms of cap hit for a long time.

I can see the possibility of a trade along these lines in the off-season. Why would they make a move like this now? Shouldn't they let the season play out, especially when you have this once-in-a-lifetime scenario when you don't have to face TB/BOS/etc. in the first round? I just don't see how it makes any sense to do something like this in-season, it would be waving the white flag while being a very competitive team (despite recent struggles). The fanbase would be furious, and rightly so.

If Dubas makes a trade like this before the deadline he should be fired immediately. Most likely upper management would not allow it to go through anyway.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I can see the possibility of a trade along these lines in the off-season. Why would they make a move like this now? Shouldn't they let the season play out, especially when you have this once-in-a-lifetime scenario when you don't have to face TB/BOS/etc. in the first round? I just don't see how it makes any sense to do something like this in-season, it would be waving the white flag while being a very competitive team (despite recent struggles). The fanbase would be furious, and rightly so.

If Dubas makes a trade like this before the deadline he should be fired immediately. Most likely upper management would not allow it to go through anyway.

The Leafs would want to do the deal in the off season, but if Florida were to want to do the deal, then they obviously would like to do the deal now. They can put Barkov and Nylander together and I think that line will do well against Tampa. Florida will be less interested in the deal in the offseason.

I agree that this deal is probably not going to happen for the reasons you listed. But just for fun, let's say the deal did happen and with the new 2.5m in cap space, we flipped the 1st round pick from Florida and Kerfoot to Columbus for Savard. We could have something like:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Luostarinen
Simmonds - Lundell/Thornton - Mikheyev
Engvall - Spezza - Boyd/Barabanov

Muzzin - Brodie
Rielly - Savard
Dermott - Bogo/Stralman

Would this be waving the white flag?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Nylander, Holl
for
Luostarinen, Lundell, Stralman(cap), 2021 1st

Leafs get some cap space and a center prospect in Lundell. I know people really like Holl, but Liljegren is coming up.

Florida gets to pair Barkov with Nylander and they have Borgstrom as a center prospect, so losing Lundell won't be as bad? Also, for the owners, I think a lot of Nylander's contract has been paid out, so the amount of real money left on the contract isn't as much, in a season with less revenue, that might be extra incentive.
Florida says no.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I don't know if the player value is there or not, but the inclusion of Luostarinen pretty much make that deal unworkable for the Panthers. The org C depth at the end of the season would be, Barkov (1 year), Lammikko, Heponiemi, Hutsko.

If you look at the Panthers and your thoughts are that they need a winger for Barkov, you might want to think a little bit longer about what their needs are.

Last edited:

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I don't know if the player value is there or not, but the inclusion of Luostarinen pretty much make that deal unworkable for the Panthers. The org C depth at the end of the season would be, Barkov (1 year), Heponiemi, Hutsko.

If you look at the Panthers and your thoughts are that they need a winger for Barkov, you might want to think a little bit longer about what their needs are.

What about Borgstrom? I thought he was a C, potential 2nd line C?

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
What about Borgstrom? I thought he was a C, potential 2nd line C?
He isn't signed and stayed in Finland for the year. I don't know why he stayed over there, maybe it's covid related, but it really doesn't look good since the Panthers are currently playing Wennberg, Luostarinen, and Lammikko. It's not what I'd call a strong group.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
He isn't signed and stayed in Finland for the year. I don't know why he stayed over there, maybe it's covid related, but it really doesn't look good since the Panthers are currently playing Wennberg, Luostarinen, and Lammikko. It's not what I'd call a strong group.

Hmm.. I see. Well... iirc, Nylander did play center in the SHL and AHL, and he said he'd prefer to play center, but Babcock never wanted to put him at center and now the Leafs have Matthews and Tavares. You could hypothetically have Huberdeau - Nylander - Hornqvist and push Wennberg to the third line. But I really like Barkov-Nylander, I think they could be so dominate

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
eh, 29 year old replacement level D dont have huge value. He played ok with Muzzin last year, terrible in any other situation. This year he was top 4 when Leafs were on their opening 15 game cup winning pace, now hes regressed again. Hes not top 4 to serious playoff teams. But good luck with your meaningful analysis.

It's actually impressive that you managed to be so wildly incorrect in such a short post. Like, not even mad or anything, just legitimately impressed at how someone can be so confidently incorrect. Usually when people make stuff up they're at least cagey with some of their words, this is bang on going for the jugular and wrong about it. Good for you man, you do you. My favourite part is when you got the knife in by declaring the Leafs aren't a serious playoff team. This is the quality content that I come to the mainboards expecting, thank you.

Vinman88

Aug 3, 2018
I think the Panthers will be just fine without Nylander. We will keep Lundell and maybe you should look for a goalie aye?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Why get rid of our young center depth for an expensive but adequately paid winger? Lundell is one of the best prospects outside the NHL and Luostar is the rare rookie that Q trusts. Heck AS has been a solid 3 this year

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Why get rid of our young center depth for an expensive but adequately paid winger? Lundell is one of the best prospects outside the NHL and Luostar is the rare rookie that Q trusts. Heck AS has been a solid 3 this year

Hmm... because the next 3 years might be Florida's best chances to win and having Nylander might be the difference between beating Tampa/Carolina? There's also the financial incentive for the owner, since iirc, Nylander's contract has been front loaded, so the actual dollars left to pay is quite a bit less. Barkov is UFA after next season, does getting Nylander help in the negotiations?

Stralman was added for cap reasons, and Holl was added since Stralman was added. But these 2 can be removed from the proposal and another player was added to make the cap work

Vinman88

Aug 3, 2018
Hmm... because the next 3 years might be Florida's best chances to win and having Nylander might be the difference between beating Tampa/Carolina? There's also the financial incentive for the owner, since iirc, Nylander's contract has been front loaded, so the actual dollars left to pay is quite a bit less. Barkov is UFA after next season, does getting Nylander help in the negotiations?

Stralman was added for cap reasons, and Holl was added since Stralman was added. But these 2 can be removed from the proposal and another player was added to make the cap work
Keep him in the North, you are the North. Lundell will stay in the South.

Reactions: violaswallet

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
This trade makes no sense for either team. Leafs don't need a center and the Panthers desperately need a top 6 center. Lundell projects to be that guy.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
why are we selling?

also trading 2 very good value contracts to gain cap space isnt a very good idea lol. and Stralman at $5.5 takes pretty much all of that away lol.

i like Lundell but this isnt good enough from a value standpoint either. Nylander is worth a lot.
Nylander's contract isn't "very good value"

it's market value

Reactions: violaswallet

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Not a bad proposal imo but I feel like Florida would rather hold onto lundell based on how he’s played, he could hypothetically make an impact as soon as the playoffs

Depends how long stralman is signed for

Nylander has been great the last few games
Not bad?

Are the Leafs rebuilding?

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
This trade makes no sense for either team. Leafs don't need a center and the Panthers desperately need a top 6 center. Lundell projects to be that guy.

Technically Nylander can play center. IIRC, Nylander played center in the SHL and AHL, and he even said he prefers to play center, but wasn't given the chance in Toronto. He would need at least one winger who is a plus on defense though.
Huberdeau - Nylander - Hornqvist. Leafs need a 3C who can grow into a 2C once Tavares' play drops off. I guess for Florida, it'll depend on how you project Lundell and how soon he can have an impact on the team.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
So trade one of your top line wingers and a dman who's having a solid year in your top 4 and still don't upgrade your defence or in net. How does this help the Leafs win a playoff round or two this season?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
And guys, put some respect on Justin Holl at this point. Top4 right shot defenseman making 2m a year with some term on the deal. After years of hearing about how we should trade Nylander for Tanev or Manson or whoever, it's kind of hilarious to see Holl's name tossed around like he's a throw in. We wouldn't trade him for Florida's first straight up.
As much respect as you can give to a defenseman who gets out shot and doesn’t do well without Muzzin carrying him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad