Proposal: Leafs - Panthers

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Nylander, Holl
for
Luostarinen, Lundell, Stralman(cap), 2021 1st

Leafs get some cap space and a center prospect in Lundell. I know people really like Holl, but Liljegren is coming up.

Florida gets to pair Barkov with Nylander and they have Borgstrom as a center prospect, so losing Lundell won't be as bad? Also, for the owners, I think a lot of Nylander's contract has been paid out, so the amount of real money left on the contract isn't as much, in a season with less revenue, that might be extra incentive.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Nylander, Holl
for
Luostarinen, Lundell, Stralman(cap), 2021 1st

Leafs get some cap space and a center prospect in Lundell. I know people really like Holl, but Liljegren is coming up.

Florida gets to pair Barkov with Nylander and they have Borgstrom as a center prospect, so losing Lundell won't be as bad? Also, for the owners, I think a lot of Nylander's contract has been paid out, so the amount of real money left on the contract isn't as much, in a season with less revenue, that might be extra incentive.
Leafs are 1st in their division and trying to make a deep playoff push and they are going to trade a top line winger and their 2nd pairing RD for futures?????

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
lol what? The Leafs aren't looking to retool. Much less retool by trading away two of the better contracts that we have and taking on a cap dump in Stralman. Liljegren will take Bogosian's place, not Holl's. And a top4 defenseman making 2m a year with 2 extra years on the deal has a whooooooooooole lot more value that this gives him credit for.

Reactions: banks

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Not a bad proposal imo but I feel like Florida would rather hold onto lundell based on how he’s played, he could hypothetically make an impact as soon as the playoffs

Depends how long stralman is signed for

Nylander has been great the last few games

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
And guys, put some respect on Justin Holl at this point. Top4 right shot defenseman making 2m a year with some term on the deal. After years of hearing about how we should trade Nylander for Tanev or Manson or whoever, it's kind of hilarious to see Holl's name tossed around like he's a throw in. We wouldn't trade him for Florida's first straight up.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'd do Nylander alone for that, sans Stralman. Not throwing in a top-four defenseman on a fair contract as well.

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If Tampa decided to give us Hedman for free and this was the best deal we could find in 5 minutes to make cap space, I'd maybe think about it but still ask for more.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Have zero interest in giving up a cost controlled prospect in Lundell. Nylander is a great return, but also moving a first and a guy who’s done well in Luostairinen, and potentially messing up the chemistry. Not going to happen. From the Leafs perspective either.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
why are we selling?

also trading 2 very good value contracts to gain cap space isnt a very good idea lol. and Stralman at $5.5 takes pretty much all of that away lol.

i like Lundell but this isnt good enough from a value standpoint either. Nylander is worth a lot.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I guess Leafs are retooling then?

I would, but I don't think Dubas will. I don't think this current Leafs is better than Tampa, Vegas, Colorado, Carolina, Islanders. Winnipeg will be close too. I don't really want to give up futures to upgrade this team, but I think that's the direction Dubas might head in. I'd rather re-tool and free up some cap space, because when we signed the big contracts, the anticipation is that the cap will go up by alot, but the cap is flat and Matthews, Marner and Tavares might be leading the league in terms of cap hit for a long time.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
why are we selling?

also trading 2 very good value contracts to gain cap space isnt a very good idea lol. and Stralman at $5.5 takes pretty much all of that away lol.

i like Lundell but this isnt good enough from a value standpoint either. Nylander is worth a lot.

An argument can definitely be made that we should buy, instead of sell/re-tool. I just don't think we are up there with the Tampa Bay, Carolina, Vegas, etc. I could definitely be wrong. With a flat cap, getting cap room will be important in the future. Stralman's contract comes off after next season, just in time for Rielly's extension. Lundell and the 2021 1st contract will be entry level, so we get good players for cheap, probably better than a bunch of rotating veterans. Holl is good and has a good contract, and I hope other organization sees this the same way. But I would say with Liljegren ready to come up, Holl is an asset we can use to re-tool

I think we need a good center prospect to prepare for the eventual falloff in play of Tavares.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
An argument can definitely be made that we should buy, instead of sell/re-tool. I just don't think we are up there with the Tampa Bay, Carolina, Vegas, etc. I could definitely be wrong. With a flat cap, getting cap room will be important in the future. Stralman's contract comes off after next season, just in time for Rielly's extension. Lundell and the 2021 1st contract will be entry level, so we get good players for cheap, probably better than a bunch of rotating veterans. Holl is good and has a good contract, and I hope other organization sees this the same way. But I would say with Liljegren ready to come up, Holl is an asset we can use to re-tool

I think we need a good center prospect to prepare for the eventual falloff in play of Tavares.
we arent making a major move like this mid season. if we whimper out of the playoffs again i could see an offseason re-tool. but this isnt a re-tool move, its just a selling move. NHL players for futures.

if we were to trade Nylander i hope it would be a hockey deal and not for futures. we arent using his cap space on a better value deal, at someone his age in UFA.

i wouldnt trade Holl just because Liljegren is almost here. by that logic why not trade Muzzin cause Sandin is coming up? Liljegren can play the 3rd pair when/if Bogosion leaves.

also your premise is just wrong, you are basically suggesting we give up cause better teams supposedly exist. we have a good shot and anything can happen in the playoffs. guarantee we buy.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
@Bloomberg You're a Leafs fan?

I retract my uncharitable thoughts towards Panthers' fans for this ridiculous proposal. It makes no sense.

Throwing in the poison pill of Stralman was an act of pure genius to conceal your affinity for the Leafs. I would have never guessed you were a Leafs' fan.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
And guys, put some respect on Justin Holl at this point. Top4 right shot defenseman making 2m a year with some term on the deal. After years of hearing about how we should trade Nylander for Tanev or Manson or whoever, it's kind of hilarious to see Holl's name tossed around like he's a throw in. We wouldn't trade him for Florida's first straight up.
He's not looking like a top 4 D these days. Seems more like small sample size good start and regression to the mean.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
@Bloomberg You're a Leafs fan?

I retract my uncharitable thoughts towards Panthers' fans for this ridiculous proposal. It makes no sense.

Throwing in the poison pill of Stralman was an act of pure genius to conceal your affinity for the Leafs. I would have never guessed you were a Leafs' fan.

Yes, I'm a Leafs fan lol. The trade gets us a pretty solid center prospect in Lundell, which is I think important in case Tavares play drops off a lot. It is kind of a re-tool or selling, so I can see why other Leafs fans would be against it. Stralman was put in to make the cap fit. Nylander and Holl is around 9M in cap and Stralman and Luostarinen is around 6.5M in cap.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Im confused why in a contending year the Leafs would trade away a top 6W and a top 4D for prospects?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He's not looking like a top 4 D these days. Seems more like small sample size good start and regression to the mean.
He played top4 defense for most of last year too. At this point, the mean for Justin Holl is top4 defenseman. Pointing out that he's looked bad when the entire Leafs team has looked bad is not meaningful analysis, sorry.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
He played top4 defense for most of last year too. At this point, the mean for Justin Holl is top4 defenseman. Pointing out that he's looked bad when the entire Leafs team has looked bad is not meaningful analysis, sorry.
eh, 29 year old replacement level D dont have huge value. He played ok with Muzzin last year, terrible in any other situation. This year he was top 4 when Leafs were on their opening 15 game cup winning pace, now hes regressed again. Hes not top 4 to serious playoff teams. But good luck with your meaningful analysis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad