Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Ottawa ACC 2.0 on 19th Sep Mod Warning Post #116

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berserker*

Always good.

My buddy is a Flames fan and he was reading some Ottawa board GDT for a Flames - Sens preseason game because it wasn't televised. He showed me some of the posts they made once the Flames started fighting them. Their fans are genuinely terrified of playing Toronto.

Got any quotes to support that claim?

Mr Scarface*

I completely disagree.
Karlsson had a 1.94 GA/60 last season, better than any Leafs dman
Methot is also the perfect partner to play with him.

You mention the aging Phillips but conveniently don't mention Cowen or Wiercoich..
What says their goalies will be in trouble? They're a better team than they were last year and have two more than capable goalies.
In an 80 game season Karlsson will be in trouble and getting scored against more. Much more. Also his d-man partner won't be able to help him so much. These players are more soft than our players. Our hard players I might add.

Phillips is slower than anybody and our team is fast. He'll be in trouble. Cowen and Wiercoich etc won't be able to stop us. We might win every game against that ottawa club next season. Interesting. Carlyle outplayed coach MacLean last season and will do next season again.

Selling Alfie was a mistake. I'm glad we are a better and much more aggressive minded team now. We hit more and fight more. That means more wins for us. Period.

leafstilldeath*

Edit:

Won't be making any Ottawa jokes at least until tomorrow when the game starts. There was a horrible accident involving Ottawa public transport, a bus, and via rail train. 6 people lost their lives including the bus driver. Please remember the victims in your prayers Leafs Nation. Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ottawa Hockey Fan

Apr 9, 2012
In an 80 game season Karlsson will be in trouble and getting scored against more. Much more. Also his d-man partner won't be able to help him so much. These players are more soft than our players. Our hard players I might add.

Phillips is slower than anybody and our team is fast. He'll be in trouble. Cowen and Wiercoich etc won't be able to stop us. We might win every game against that ottawa club next season. Interesting. Carlyle outplayed coach MacLean last season and will do next season again.

Selling Alfie was a mistake. I'm glad we are a better and much more aggressive minded team now. We hit more and fight more. That means more wins for us. Period.

Yes him winning the Norris in his last full season must prove that! :help:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yes him winning the Norris in his last full season must prove that! :help:

How does his last full season help him in this season?

I'd be shocked if Karlsson is really a near PPG defenseman.

Expect him to get back down to 45-50 this year and no longer in Norris contention.

Karlsson is an incredibly smart PMD but he's just not going to be that productive.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I completely disagree.
Karlsson had a 1.94 GA/60 last season, better than any Leafs dman
Methot is also the perfect partner to play with him.

You mention the aging Phillips but conveniently don't mention Cowen or Wiercoich..
What says their goalies will be in trouble? They're a better team than they were last year and have two more than capable goalies.
Cowen looks like a very promising shut down defenceman. He'll be relied upon heavily on the defensive side, while Karlsson - an elite offensive defenceman - will be relied upon heavily to drive possession. It'll definitely be an interesting D-core to watch.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
How does his last full season help him in this season?

I'd be shocked if Karlsson is really a near PPG defenseman.

Expect him to get back down to 45-50 this year and no longer in Norris contention.

Karlsson is an incredibly smart PMD but he's just not going to be that productive.

Cause Ottawa got weaker offensively this offseason? I just don't follow your logic. Could his injury hamper him longterm? Potentially, but unlikely given medical advances.

JacobimMugatu

HF Strength Thread
Jul 8, 2009
f=253
www.facebook.com
1.In an 80 game season Karlsson will be in trouble and getting scored against more. Much more. Also his d-man partner won't be able to help him so much.2.These players are more soft than our players. Our hard players I might add.

Phillips is slower than anybody and our team is fast. He'll be in trouble. 3.Cowen and Wiercoich etc won't be able to stop us. We might win every game against that ottawa club next season. Interesting. 4.Carlyle outplayed coach MacLean last season and will do next season again.

5.Selling Alfie was a mistake. I'm glad we are a better and much more aggressive minded team now. 6.We hit more and fight more. That means more wins for us. Period.
1.What's your evidence for this. Why will Methot (who is the ideal partner for a player like Karlsson) not be able to help?
Karlsson whether you like it or not is an amazing player

2.Again, hockey is about more than toughness. You're making it seem like the tougher team is automatically the better team.

3.You underestimate both players.

4.Ottawa was destroyed by injuries last year, last year is largely irrelevant (games without Spezza/Karlsson/Cowen/Michalek not in the lineup don't mean much)
The equivalent would be us icing a team without Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf and Franson last year. I'm sure we'd be getting beaten up on by them if that was the case.

5.Selling Alfie? Alfie had no intention of returning to Ottawa. He decided to move on, not the team.

6.More hits/fights=more wins?
2013 season
The Leafs led the league in hits by 180
The Leafs led the league in majors by 9

The Blackhawks were dead last in the league in hits, with 786 less than Toronto which is only 52% of the hits Toronto had
The Blackhawks were 3rd last in the league in majors, with 30 less than Toronto which is 35% of the majors Toronto had

This isn't to say toughness is a bad thing, it definitely isn't. It also isn't what defines a winning team.

I'm a die hard Leafs fan and hate the Sens.. but cmon brah. At least get your facts somewhat straight.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
No need to take what Ryan said about Carlyle with any grain of sugar. Ryan was trying to explain that he wasn't mature back then and that he didn't particularly understand what Carlyle was trying to push on him, but now he does.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
1.What's your evidence for this. Why will Methot (who is the ideal partner for a player like Karlsson) not be able to help?

2.Again, hockey is about more than toughness. You're making it seem like the tougher team is automatically the better team.

4.Ottawa was destroyed by injuries last year, last year is largely irrelevant (games without Spezza/Karlsson/Cowen/Michalek not in the lineup don't mean much)
The equivalent would be us icing a team without Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf and Franson last year. I'm sure we'd be getting beaten up on by them if that was the case.

5.Selling Alfie? Alfie had no intention of returning to Ottawa. He decided to move on, not the team.

2013 season

The Blackhawks were dead last in the league in hits, with 786 less than Toronto which is only 52% of the hits Toronto had
The Blackhawks were 3rd last in the league in majors, with 30 less than Toronto which is 35% of the majors Toronto had

This isn't to say toughness is a bad thing, it definitely isn't. It also isn't what defines a winning team.

I'm a die hard Leafs fan and hate the Sens.. but cmon brah. At least get your facts somewhat straight.

Are we in the sens forum ? :help:

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand

2013 season

I agree on the fact that Karlsson is a great PMD has great offensive instincts and doesn't deserve to be bad mouthed. On the other hand I don't think he's a ppg or close to a ppg player, he's exceptional but this isn't the Paul coffee years were talking about here.

The thing I don't agree with is Ottawa being able to repeat what they did last season. They imo will be hard pressed to find the kind of success they did last year if they have a repeat of the kind of man games they lost and the caliber of players they lost.

Personally I don't think many if any teams could accomplish what they did last season with the key players who they lost and the amount of time they lost them for. IMO don't expect a repeat of last season if their players start dropping like flies again.

JacobimMugatu

HF Strength Thread
Jul 8, 2009
f=253
www.facebook.com
I agree on the fact that Karlsson is a great PMD has great offensive instincts and doesn't deserve to be bad mouthed. On the other hand I don't think he's a ppg or close to a ppg player, he's exceptional but this isn't the Paul coffee years were talking about here.

The thing I don't agree with is Ottawa being able to repeat what they did last season. They imo will be hard pressed to find the kind of success they did last season if they have a repeat of the kind of man games they lost and the caliber of players they lost last season.

Personally I don't think many if any teams could accomplish what they did last season with the key players who they lost and the amount of time they lost them for. IMO don't expect a repeat of last season if their players start dropping like flies again.
I 100% agree with this. If they're healthy though I see them as the 2nd best team in the Atlantic with us fighting Detroit for the 3/4 spots. That is a big if though.. if they have injury troubles like that again I think we/Det will finish above them

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Bobby Ryan had by far his best years under Carlyle.

Who does he blame for his craptastic play the last two seasons, after Randy got the boot?

BayStreetBullies*

Who does he blame for his craptastic play the last two seasons, after Randy got the boot?

Well if he doesn't play well this season, Sens fans can use that as their new excuse because injuries are so last season.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Edit:

Won't be making any Ottawa jokes at least until tomorrow when the game starts. There was a horrible accident involving Ottawa public transport, a bus, and via rail train. 6 people lost their lives including the bus driver. Please remember the victims in your prayers Leafs Nation. Peace.

This, truly terrible; hockey allegiances aside...

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Karlsson can't play D almost at all, he plays offensive minded game and gets scored at his own end-a-lot.
Phillips is getting older and slower and more stupider. He will be scored a lot. Loads of goals. That D is just so stupid and soft... I'm amazed their manager hasn't gottten them any harder players defending the net. Their goalies will be in huge troubles next season. Can't wait. We might win every game against them next season. They are so lousy. Selling that Alfie and all.... laughable really. Horrible managing.

You need to start looking at stats...

DoubleDouble*

2013 season

I like how you tell him to keep his facts straight after posting something that is dripping with opinion :laugh:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Bobby Ryan will ALWAYS be the third wheel. He's a 30-30 guy if he's not playing with an all star center.

Perry, Getzlaf's third wheel in Anaheim.
Spezza, Karlsson's third wheel in Ottawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad