Value of: Leafs need a goalie for the playoffs

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Darcy Kuemper is probably available. He’s on IR at the moment but is slated to come off IR before the TDL. Raanta is available too but it would be in bad faith to try and sell you on him as a playoff rental, since he’d probably manage to injure himself before the end of the regular season again. That’d be as slimy as a used car salesman selling you a car they know is likely to break down after 100 miles for an upcoming 500-mile road trip.

I don’t really know what the ask would be for Kuemper. He’s also signed through next season.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
You get what you pay for
AND
You get what you don't pay for.

Geo is thru next season, decent $.

I agree his game is hit and miss
can have a clunker
can also stonewall solid scoring.

you could do a lot worse.
yeah we could do worse, but i see him as a fallback option, not a main target. i think he would be an offseason addition if anything

Reactions: bernmeister

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Darcy Kuemper is probably available. He’s on IR at the moment but is slated to come off IR before the TDL. Raanta is available too but it would be in bad faith to try and sell you on him as a playoff rental, since he’d probably manage to injure himself before the end of the regular season again. That’d be as slimy as a used car salesman selling you a car they know is likely to break down after 100 miles for an upcoming 500-mile road trip.

I don’t really know what the ask would be for Kuemper. He’s also signed through next season.
If the Yotes trade Kuemper, who are they going with next year? Rantaa is made of glass.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Leafs should acquire a goalie in the off season. This isn’t their year.
Cups are always a longshot, no team is ever likely to win the cup.

I feel its not unreasonable to say the Leafs have a good chance of winning their division, from there you're in the final four. So it'd be a good year to make some moves.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Cups are always a longshot, no team is ever likely to win the cup.

I feel its not unreasonable to say the Leafs have a good chance of winning their division, from there you're in the final four. So it'd be a good year to make some moves.
Oh I agree and have said the moment the North division was formed that the Leafs were gifted a final 4.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I’d do Kuemper at 50% retention for Rodion Amirov. Toronto gets an elite goalie signed through next season at a negligible CapHit.

Reactions: Summer Rose

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I’d do Kuemper at 50% retention for Rodion Amirov. Toronto gets an elite goalie signed through next season at a negligible CapHit.
Kuemper would be a great target but im not trading Amirov for him. i would think about our 1st though

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I also value Amirov more than your 2021 1st ;)

I guess it boils down to the market demand for such a goalie.
yeah i would totally make a push for Kuemper, but dont think he would command a very good prospect like Amirov. goalies dont usually go for a ton, and while Kuemper is great he is 30 with only 1 extra year on his contract.

a move around futures, albeit less valuable is very feasible.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
yeah i would totally make a push for Kuemper, but dont think he would command a very good prospect like Amirov. goalies dont usually go for a ton, and while Kuemper is great he is 30 with only 1 extra year on his contract.

a move around futures, albeit less valuable is very feasible.
Would you add Niemela to the 1st? With 50% retention?

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Would you add Niemela to the 1st? With 50% retention?
Hmmmm... ive been reluctant to include Niemela in any deal because i feel like he has an untapped ceiling, and his potential is much higher than his trade value.

not saying its bad value wise, i would also like to hear what other Leafs fans would think of that.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I just haven't heard anything about it and until I do I will be assuming that Andersen will be returning at some point this season.
I’m not say he will or won’t be. Just saying that just because he isn’t on LTIR right now doesn’t mean he won’t be.
It makes more sense to wait as long as possible to put someone on LTIR right now to maximize cap space.

I have seen some speculation that he could be out till the playoffs but not from anyone that would cause me to take it as fact. But the fact that he isn’t on LTIR right now is not at all a sign that he will be back either.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I would argue that the Leafs need a 3rd line C.
And a top 6 winger. And a depth D.
They definitely have holes, and no team goes into the playoffs without holes. But they have options to create cap space and assets to bring in rentals.
They definitely aren’t going to fill every hole but they have the ability to do somethings if management decides to go for it

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Why waste assets for one and done again.
You shouldn't, but the Leafs are going to try and win. At least the Blues have won a Cup recently, so a one and done is fine for them. We have had too many.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: