Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Get help, your obsession is sad.
yup i'm the one with the obsession , lol

tell us again how Accari and his 3 goals and 4pts or defensively challenged JVR and his 3 non pp goals are the difference between us being in wild card spot or tops in the league

shuffling the deck chairs in our bottom 6 , which we've done endlessly , who play around 8-12mins a night won't move the needle when we're missing 2 quality top 4 D , a quality goalie and a 2nd line C

but hey Tre should've easily added that in his first off season with the lack of draft capital and minimal assets to trade

or maybe he's going to follow the lead of our former GM and finish off the little futures he inherited at the t/d in an attempt shore up all our holes

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeyz and ToneDog

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
yup i'm the one with the obsession , lol
Yes you are.
A. You took a long list of solid depth players and zero'd in the Dubas connection, to the exclusion of all others.
B. You know what they're saying on the Pens board, implying that your obsession with Dubas has taking you so far as to be regularly lurking another team's fanbase to satisfy it.
C. Since your following of hockey is extremely superficial and GM/hate driven, you assume everyone's is, and that my inclusion of Acciari is based on Dubas acquiring him, rather than him being an excellent defensive hockey player, pker, and general heart and soul depth player that can play multiple positions. He's been on my radar for years - 2019, 2021, and several times prior to the ROR trade last year.

Trade the ~9.9 to Bert/Domi/Reaves/ and replace them with 3 ~7.5 million across 3 players (the absolute max) off the list. Take 700k off the top so we can carry both a spare D and F.
Take the 1.7m in savings, add it to the 4.15 from Klingberg, that's 5.9 to spend on a single d man. You say we need two? Add Gio's 800k or Liljegren's 1.4 to the pot

We're in 11th. But sure, fixing the PK, the depth, and adding 1-2 quality defenseman would do nothing. "Shuffling deck chairs"

Last edited:
Reactions: Dekes For Days

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
To add, separately:
Hope springs eternal. Brodie's game could rebound. Bert could click. Bert and Domi may rise above their Reg season selves to in the playoffs. Woll will be back at some point. Knies/Holmberg/Benoit/Liljegren are not finished products. On top of that- maybe Klingberg would have worked out had he not gotten hurt.

As of now we're still in the dance. In the offseason I wrote about the potential for a team that is less impressive in the regular season but can get the job done in the playoffs. This isn't how I would do it, but maybe this what it looks like- we won't know until the playoffs.

The fat lady is not singing- and some of you need to have the balls to defend this iteration of the Leafs as not yet having failed rather than pre-emptively assigning blame for a non-hopeless situation to protect your ego and preconceptions.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Yes you are.
A. You took a long list of solid depth players and zero'd in the Dubas connection, to the exclusion of all others.
B. You know what they're saying on the Pens board, implying that your obsession with Dubas has taking you so far as to be regularly lurking another team's fanbase to satisfy it.
C. Since your following of hockey is extremely superficial and GM/hate driven, you assume everyone's is, and that my inclusion of Acciari is based on Dubas acquiring him, rather than him being an excellent defensive hockey player, pker, and general heart and soul depth player that can play multiple positions. He's been on my radar for years - 2019, 2021, and several times prior to the ROR trade last year.

Trade the ~9.9 to Bert/Domi/Reaves/ and replace them with 3 ~7.5 million across 3 players (the absolute max) off the list. Take 700k off the top so we can carry both a spare D and F.
Take the 1.7m in savings, add it to the 4.15 from Klingberg, that's 5.9 to spend on a single d man. You say we need two? Add Gio's 800k or Liljegren's 1.4 to the pot

We're in 11th. But sure, fixing the PK, the depth, and adding 1-2 quality defenseman would do nothing. "Shuffling deck chairs"
try as you might the fact remains for 5 years you cheered/spun/made excuses for every one of Dubies moves so save the bs for someone who'll believe your nonsense

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
try as you might the fact remains for 5 years you cheered/spun/made excuses for every one of Dubies moves so save the bs for someone who'll believe your nonsense
Cool put me on ignore. Or better yet- contribute a hockey related opinion or idea that doesn't relate to the GM or another poster.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Yes you are.

Treliving's early performance has not been good and that really shouldn't even be debatable but he's not the only reason this team has looked worse this season.

What is your opinion on this 20M in cap space this season in Tavares/Brodie/Samsonov?

Prior to the season most would have agreed that's our #2C, #2D and #1G.

Reactions: hotpaws and 4thline

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Cool put me on ignore. Or better yet- contribute a hockey related opinion or idea that doesn't relate to the GM or another poster.
I did contribute a hockey related comment by saying your rant of how fringe players like Accari wouldn't help our team and i went on to tell you what this needed to actually improve

you ignored that and doubled down on how valuable Accari and his 4 points at 2m per with another 2 yrs would be

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Treliving's early performance has not been good and that really shouldn't even be debatable but he's not the only reason this team has looked worse this season.

What is your opinion on this 20M in cap space this season in Tavares/Brodie/Samsonov?

Prior to the season most would have agreed that's our #2C, #2D and #1G.
Samsonov- a dagger to the early season results, probably worth a handful of points on his own. Hopefully he rebounds.

Brodie- is struggles are real, but there is a definite overreaction to them. He's not doing well as the 23 minute a night shutdown guy, but still likely a top 4 dman in a little softer usage. An offseason that prioritizes and lands a Hainsey/Schenn type cheap stay at home partner for Rielly leaves him slotted lower, maybe those struggles are mitigated.

Tavares- disappointing, but needing to shift him to wing has long been a discussion point. Was in Tre's power to make that call with Keefe in the offseason, boosting our LW immensely and shifting the need to a C that can play between JT/Nylander in a more sheltered role- there were lots of options for that in the offseason. But that wasn't something I can claim to have been planning- I thought he had 1 more year at C and this has been disappointing.

Last edited:
Reactions: weems

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
I listened to leafs talk on my drive home from work today and heard they did a tribute to Engvall at the game? Why on earth would they feel the need to do that?
Giraffes are an endangered species?

• Haha
Reactions: bax

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
@weems
On the positive front- I and others often forget about the Klingberg injury. I don't know if he was the golden bullet- but the fact is that we're down one 4+ million dollar dman from what we were supposed to be. If he's healthy and succeeding maybe that masks the f-ups with forward group.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
@weems
On the positive front- I and others often forget about the Klingberg injury. I don't know if he was the golden bullet- but the fact is that we're down one 4+ million dollar dman from what we were supposed to be. If he's healthy and succeeding maybe that masks the f-ups with forward group.

I think what we we saw with Klingberg is mostly what you get with him.

Some good followed with alot of bad and I'm talking bad where he is at the center of some really awful goals against.

His puck moving would have definitely helped though.

Reactions: IPS

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
i mean on the other hand, i would take 3 or 4 of those guys on that list over bert/domi but not for goal scoring, but rather how they play. this of course leads me into looking at and discussing how we play, how keefe plays and to be honest he's a giant WTF for me.. i think we target incorrect players because keefe is running such a bland identity-less brand.
That's fair, but were there not several days of long meetings and a Keefe extension in the offseason?
But I think you're understating the impact on the goal scoring. There's a lot of guys on there pacing 15-25 goals, and there's something to be said for both the impact of the "how they play" translating into a "how we play", and how improved depth/ change of style could lead to more goals from the guys already on the roster.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
By the skin of their teeth this year. We should be a contender but we are so far from that it’s ridiculous
I am not going to dispute that. Goalie injuries/mental health and an aging blueline are part of it. Not to mention that Keefe has poorly constructed a 4th line for the 6th season in a row.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I am not going to dispute that. Goalie injuries/mental health and an aging blueline are part of it. Not to mention that Keefe has poorly constructed a 4th line for the 6th season in a row.
All of the above unfortunately

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Even with an aging blue line, etc. they should be good enough to make the playoffs. It's a team-wide failure if they don't. We can only wait and see what happens at the deadline though.

Reactions: Racer88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln