Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
When the Leafs signed him they knew what they were getting, a tough player to add toughness to the soft team. He wasn't supposed to contribute in scoring that would've been a bonus.
I don’t really think that toughness has been there, he fought the first two games and has done nothing since. I’m not even insinuating that he should be fighting every game, once every 10 games is fine and he’s above that. It’s more so the checking and basic hockey plays part

Marchand is a dirtbag and slewfoots Liljegren? He gives no response just a crappy quote and yells at him from the bench. He doesn’t go after anyone else, if the argument is no one will fight him, then he’s gotta give big hits in that situation

Then last game? Plays 7 minutes and gets scored on twice. No response from him after the terrible outing in Boston

I’m not expecting anything over 15-20 points really, but don’t get outscored 7-0 in 11 games when you play sub 8 minutes.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
We will have to endure more games before Keefe gets fired. The good news? Higher draft picks. We need some defense really bad.We can't even ice three effective lines. Our goal situation is very questionable. This is 500 ish team.

Reactions: horner

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Everybody has their own beliefs on the problems of the Leafs. We can blame Shanahan, Dubas, Keefe, Treliving, Lou, Babcock… whomever you want, and it’s probable that there are better GM’s, Presidents or Coaches in the world than these guys. I’ve seen a rotating cast of various quality support guys come through, and yet it’s mostly the same story every year. The best players aren’t good enough, don’t play hard enough when it counts. I don’t think it matters who your GM, Coach etc is with this group, or if their contracts were slightly better. These guys just don’t seem to have what it takes, when it matters the most. Changing anything around them… coach, support cast, GM… it won’t make a difference. Rinse and repeat with these guys… Sorry, but I’ve lost belief in this core.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Everybody has their own beliefs on the problems of the Leafs. We can blame Shanahan, Dubas, Keefe, Treliving, Lou, Babcock… whomever you want, and it’s probable that there are better GM’s, Presidents or Coaches in the world than these guys. I’ve seen a rotating cast of various quality support guys come through, and yet it’s mostly the same story every year. The best players aren’t good enough, don’t play hard enough when it counts. I don’t think it matters who your GM, Coach etc is with this group, or if their contracts were slightly better. These guys just don’t seem to have what it takes, when it matters the most. Changing anything around them… coach, support cast, GM… it won’t make a difference. Rinse and repeat with these guys… Sorry, but I’ve lost belief in this core.

"Good teams are built from the Goalie out, through strong Defense and strength down the middle" .. Legendary coach Scotty Bowman

The Leafs are built around 4 scoring forwards that consume 1/2 their salary Cap.

Even when Matthews scores 3 goals and Marner contributes 4 assist the Leafs give up 6 goals to the youngest team in the NHL with the 31st lowest Salary Cap.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Just now? What took so long?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Agreed. I’d see how these next 10 games go and make changes accordingly. I’d rather keep Nylander than Marner but it may come down to making a very tough decision and parting ways with Nylander in order to make a large shakeup. Carolina is a team I’d keep a close eye on. They’ve had interest in Nylander multiple times in the past and two players such as Jarvis and Kotkaniemi would be pretty interesting to acquire.

Reactions: ToneDog

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Ngl it's not surprising that they lost. We knew they would try to coast like the past 5 seasons to the playoffs. Buffalo looks primed to take the next step this year as well. Dahlin looked amazing, Thompson is a legit superstar and they work very hard every shift.

horner

May 22, 2007
We all knew that this would end up hurting our team .
You can't keep signing ufa's at some point we will find duds .
Bert Domi I thought they would be better than this.
Klinkberg should be on the 3rd pair 15 min a game but we have no dman.
Dubas gave away draft picks like candy with only Geo and McCabe to show for it.
This practice has to stop unless you are getting a controllable asset for 3 or 4 years.

Ljiligren ,Sandin and Durzi are the only dmen that we drafted in 7 f***ing yrs that are any good . Small and skilled.

Dubas always concentrated on the same players small and soft excluding Knies Robertson (thinks he can play a robust game)
Minten Grebyonkin.

Cowen speed skill tough these are the prospects we need through the system

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Sad but true

Reactions: TMLAM34

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We all knew that this would end up hurting our team .
You can't keep signing ufa's at some point we will find duds .
Bert Domi I thought they would be better than this.
Klinkberg should be on the 3rd pair 15 min a game but we have no dman.
Dubas gave away draft picks like candy with only Geo and McCabe to show for it.
This practice has to stop unless you are getting a controllable asset for 3 or 4 years.

Ljiligren ,Sandin and Durzi are the only dmen that we drafted in 7 f***ing yrs that are any good . Small and skilled.

Dubas always concentrated on the same players small and soft excluding Knies Robertson (thinks he can play a robust game)
Minten Grebyonkin.

Cowen speed skill tough these are the prospects we need through the system

In all probability, drafting three NHL level dmen, every seven years is probably middle of the pack. That being said, if you are talking the last seven years, it’s premature to make conclusions on the last few drafts anyway. Who knows if Kokkonen, Niemela or Villeneuve end up as NHL Dmen. It takes time to develop them, except in rare cases. Even Sandin and Lilly took years as first round picks.

So it’s really, three NHL d-men in three years… so one per year.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Yep. Facts are facts.
What facts? You provided zero, just a delusional statement backed by nothing.
In what world we were a defensive juggernaut and how exactly did Kyle achieve it?

You just spit nonsense.

if we had such a great defense and da best offense what went wrong? You provide a shallow statement, not even an opinion, but you call it a fact.

Reactions: TMLife17

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
This is a badly built team and it may even be too late. 4 more years till the next build/ plan.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
One of the major problems is any fan could see the problem and do a better job. Brad threw crud at the wall and it didn't stick. When ownership doesn't care about the fans this is what you get. The wheels have fallen off we just haven't heard the crash yet. I'd rather watch any of the older teams I was more entertained. This is more like torture after you already dead. Marner is brutally over rated , Tavares isn't a captain and Keefe sucks. Brad is now a deer stuck in the maple leafs headlights.To have so much talent and suck is pathetic.

Last edited:

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Defensive rank:
2016-2017: 28th
2017-2018: 22nd
-------------------
2018-2019: 26th
2019-2020: 22nd
2020-2021: 14th
2021-2022: 7th
2022-2023: 9th
-------------------
2023-2024: 23rd

Good defensive players. Crazy concept, I know.

These numbers are very mediocre .
Thanks for sharing, good to know what you consider defensive excellence.

Reactions: TMLife17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad