Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Thanks for the update. Poor result but one of those games where you leave disappointed but entertained. Mush better to see live than on tv.

Seems like every time I buy your seats it's a high scoring, back and forth game lol. Matthews is just phenomenal to watch live. I've seen him a few times now and every time he just stands out as head and shoulders above every one else on the ice.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Matthews was great, elite forward who was the only one enjoying the up and down game Buffalo wanted to play.

Marner still has issues offensively even though he had 4 points. He's not his normal sharp self, I think he'll get there. He actually had a shift last night where he blocked a shot and had 3 hits.

Domi and Bertuzzi sucks. They are allergic to the puck and Domi is a terrible defensively.

Knies is the best player on his line every single shift, this can't keep happening. I'm for promoting him to the 2nd line and having Bertuzzi on the 3rd line.

Nylander looked like a can when matched up with Thompson and Tuch. He couldn't match them last night.

Brodie was a disaster in his own zone and Gio looked like he was in quick sand.

This defense is a problem

Domi was supposed to be a scorer, but it seems to me as soon as he gets the puck he either shovels it toward the goal in hopes that it will bounce off someone or passes it, and usually not great passes either, except the 2 to knies. He either has the pressure of Toronto on him, hopefully he can just relax and play his game.

Reactions: CapspaceKiller

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Seems like every time I buy your seats it's a high scoring, back and forth game lol. Matthews is just phenomenal to watch live. I've seen him a few times now and every time he just stands out as head and shoulders above every one else on the ice.
That he does. You should see McDavid live as well. Those two just seem on another level.

(Don’t even ask! I’m going to the Edmonton game :laugh:)

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Domi was supposed to be a scorer, but it seems to me as soon as he gets the puck he either shovels it toward the goal in hopes that it will bounce off someone or passes it, and usually not great passes either, except the 2 to knies. He either has the pressure of Toronto on him, hopefully he can just relax and play his game.
Domi has 5 goals in his last 50 games. It’s like he’s become more of a play maker than scorer.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Treliving owns the free agent signings he made this Summer which are looking very bad, but it's absurd to act like Dubas didn't set the table for where we're at now. Free agency isn't the place to build your team at the best of times, but take a look at the free agency crop of this past Summer and tell me who the Leafs were supposed to acquire that were going to fix the glaring holes we have all over the line-up. This is the inevitable result of years of poor management.
I think that's why they all got 1 year deals (sans Reeves). Just wanted to fill out a roster without doing any damage to the future. Not like Kyle who had to trade picks to get out of his mistakes.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I am so sure about it because on most nights having Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares is going to result in victories against a lot of teams in this league, despite any defensive breakdowns. People can hate on them now, but ultimately players like Bertuzzi and Domi will produce offense. The defense and the third line centre position have to be upgraded, but those are easier positions to upgrade than trying to acquire the talent they already have.
How much did you lose on your prediction of a "field day" for the Leafs last night?

• Haha
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Too bad we let Laffarty and Sandin go
Lafferty was a miscasted bottom 6 option, he didn’t really fit in his time here, but he’s better than Reaves

Sandin wouldn’t help, he was also awful defensively unless he played bottom pairing competition.

I’d say that Schenn and acciari not coming back hurt a lot. A very good 4th liner and a guy who complimented Rielly well

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
If it’s ok to talk about the game, I did notice Marner throwing a few hits last night, credited with 5.
Treliving better use that bullet he saved for himself and get rid of Keefe. It's obvious he's totally clueless. He plays Lajoie only 4:54, taxing his defence core to the point of exhaustion even he admits he's never seen, for making one mistake. Meanwhile, that useless pos Reaves continues to be a liability on the ice with another minus 2, and yet is thrown out there in the last minute to try to score? Keefe gave up the game.

Well, Keefy, we've given up on you pal. You're outcoached every playoff series, and the majority of games in the regular season. You're lucky to have a near generational player in Matthews, and solid support in Nylander, Tavares, and Marner or you'd be proven to be what you are....inept, incompetent, and inconceivably brain dead.

Reactions: TMLife17

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Too bad we let Laffarty and Sandin go

Lafferty could turn into a bad trade but I still feel like the separation between him and Gregor isn't that much.

Sandin's offense has completely dried up in Washington.

Reactions: fahad203

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If it’s ok to talk about the game, I did notice Marner throwing a few hits last night, credited with 5.
He was probably the best of the big 4 yesterday and looks to be breaking into top 5 winger status again

The team will be good enough in the reg season again.

Concerning though bert, domi, knies, jarnkrok etc will ve the key depth. Not sure they can provide us with whats needed to help the big 4 out

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
When Dubas was let go all we heard about from many posters was that Shanahan had essentially taken away Dubas's ability to make certain moves.

Then we hear Shanahan say he told the core that none of them would be moved.

Shouldn't most of this anger we're seeing now be directed at Shanny considering he's the one pulling all the strings according to some?
All of us here with the bitter life experience scoffed at by young punks yet to get their inevitable s**t kicking by this planet, know that an organization reflects the character of it's leadership. Damn right it's on Brendan and MLSE.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
When Dubas was let go all we heard about from many posters was that Shanahan had essentially taken away Dubas's ability to make certain moves.

Then we hear Shanahan say he told the core that none of them would be moved.

Shouldn't most of this anger we're seeing now be directed at Shanny considering he's the one pulling all the strings according to some?

That's not an easy question to answer.

When you look at the Los Angeles, Boston and Buffalo games the goals came from Tavares, Marner, Matthews, Marner, Matthews, Matthews, Matthews in order. So the only people contributing are Big 4...

Then again the Liljegren incident was a massive indictment on team culture which has to be an issue of the core players setting the kind of tone they set, and the NBA star/NBA bench dynamic we seem to have.

So do we want fewer stars and more bench guys, or how do we build a new team culture where we get more out of the bottom? Which problem is more fixable?

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Yea he looked much better last night, both play wise and on the score sheet. The shorty was a bad play by him and Matthews, but he was solid offensively

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
That's not an easy question to answer.

When you look at the Los Angeles, Boston and Buffalo games the goals came from Tavares, Marner, Matthews, Marner, Matthews, Matthews, Matthews in order. So the only people contributing are Big 4...

Then again the Liljegren incident was a massive indictment on team culture which has to be an issue of the core players setting the kind of tone they set, and the NBA star/NBA bench dynamic we seem to have.

So do we want fewer stars and more bench guys, or how do we build a new team culture where we get more out of the bottom? Which problem is more fixable?
Very good point . Hayes has been saying this for a many years but our core players all have the same temperament. Have you ever seen Tavares, Marner , Nylander or Matthews ever get mad on the ice ? You ever see them throw a punch in a scrum ? Soft as butter

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
What I saw is same old team that is not paying attention to the little thing. Dumb turnovers. Not executing simple plays. Keefe says that the D was completely exhausted in the 3rd. I saw the same thing in Boston, last 10 minutes they were holding on for their dear lives. What is the plan here? They have 4 games this week, if they are exhausted now, What will be of them in a week
Buffalo was on a back to back and 3 games in 4 nights and they didn’t look exhausted.
Maybe it’s time to fire the strength an conditioning coach if our-pampered players were exhausted

Reactions: Anthrax442

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
How much did you lose on your prediction of a "field day" for the Leafs last night?
The over was an easy win. The Leafs offense did exactly what I thought they would do. The defense was the problem.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Lafferty could turn into a bad trade but I still feel like the separation between him and Gregor isn't that much.

Sandin's offense has completely dried up in Washington.

just 400% more points so far... Sandin was a good trade... Lafferty was bad.

Less "snot", less production, less defensively responsible... but it doesn't matter who is 4LW because 4C (when Kampf is there) and 4RW are a mess.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The good news is all Trelivings deals were 1 year deals with exception to Reaves. Maybe we send him through waivers and a young team with no winning aspirations picks him up (but doubtful).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad