Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Dubas/Shanahan need to learn to play the media game. Last year when the Bitch Golden Knights lost a game where they got called for penalties (deservedly cos they're dirty AF), De Boer whined in the media and guess who didn't get penalized and the other team did the next game....

Not saying you have to do it in the media it can be in the background but they have to stand up for their team cos the refs really might've cost the Leafs that game.

Didn’t work for Babcock a few years ago when he did that. It actually made it worse.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
They really didn't have to call it. They know how punitive a 5v3 is. Considering how questionable the first call was, they should have used their judgment and not created that situation. Especially considering how much they were letting go all game.

I'd compare it to a soccer game. You have to really earn that second yellow card to make it a red, refs will give some leeway if the first yellow was questionable as they know how drastically it changes the game.
I wouldn't really agree on that, even when the refs put the whistle away and are letting go blatant penalties all over the place high sticks are still called. And it's not like it was an easy one to ignore, the stick got wedged right into his neck - that's getting called every time.

I agree on the 1st one though, and was hoping for a "make up call" but obviously that didn't come.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Yeah, sucks to go down 5 on 3 like that but it's clearly a high stick by Kerfoot, they have to call that. Reffing was not the reason we lost that game.

Lightning having been playing up the high stick all series though, heads snapping back every time a stick comes anywhere close. Annoying as f***, it would be nice to see the refs call an embellishment on one of them.
The 2nd high stick was legit, the 1st hit his shoulder and Foote snapped his head back to fool the ref and it worked. Among many things this penalty cost the Leafs the game and possibly the series.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
Thought there were plenty of tripping/interference/hooks they could've called in our favor after the 5-3. None of them would've been BS calls.

To me its the problem of the chintzy hook calls, you can pretty much call them 100x a game.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Kerfoot is the stupidest Harvard grad to ever exist.
That sonovabitch did all he could to lose the game last night, disgusting.
The drop pass I mean, Palat skated right behind him and he seen that! The drop was crazy to make there.

And then Hedman. What's little Kerf doing there. His stick was everywhere. I admire the guys hustle no doubt but he continues to take aggressive penalties at stupid times! It's mental it's all mental. When the heat is on, Leafs make dumb decisions and the goals dry up!!

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I am very sad today .. da better team lost and da hockey gods/refs decided it .. but team played well .. gifting da back to back Cup champs a 5 on 3 in 3rd period to give them a goal (and 4 to 2 on penalty advantage too) .. wow in all my years of hockey in an even steven game in playoffs I have not seen that one occur .. and Cooper is so f*ll of sh*t it is embarrassing .. Tampa earned nothing da refs gave it to them pure and simple .. clearly da league wanted a game 7 .. heh if Tampa fought back and earned an even strength goal then more power to them but that is not what occurred .. these goofs in league office in NYC will feel it when GTA shuts down watching rest of playoffs and Leaf Nation across Canada and US shut out NHL hockey .. and it is only way to hurt Sportsnet and league is in da pocket .. Jacobs needs to be removed as league chairman .. and then new chair needs to hire a new commish .. Larry would be a solid guy for chair .. enough of supporting da weak teams in da league and CAP .. time to get a super league going with better hockey and a better league

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
All 3 of Tampas regulation goals were because of massive mistakes by us. The perfect breakaway pass from Kerfoot. The short handed goal. And the 5 on 3. None of these things can happen at this level of hockey. NONE! I'm surprised that we didn't score on ourselves as well.

Blanka

Mar 27, 2013
Yeah, sucks to go down 5 on 3 like that but it's clearly a high stick by Kerfoot, they have to call that. Reffing was not the reason we lost that game.

Lightning having been playing up the high stick all series though, heads snapping back every time a stick comes anywhere close. Annoying as f***, it would be nice to see the refs call an embellishment on one of them.
Hedman lifted Kerfoot's stick into his neck. Not sure how you can control that.

I wouldn't really agree on that, even when the refs put the whistle away and are letting go blatant penalties all over the place high sticks are still called. And it's not like it was an easy one to ignore, the stick got wedged right into his neck - that's getting called every time.

I agree on the 1st one though, and was hoping for a "make up call" but obviously that didn't come.
It got wedged into his neck because Hedman lifted it into his neck.

Last edited:
Reactions: keonsbitterness

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I don't even blame Kerfoot, especially on the penalty. He was clearly working his ass off on that PK and trying to make something happen and Hedman clearly caused that high stick. I was actually really impressed when I saw Kerfoot in position to engage Hedman there and kill some extra time instead of being passive.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don't even blame Kerfoot, especially on the penalty. He was clearly working his ass off on that PK and trying to make something happen and Hedman clearly caused that high stick. I was actually really impressed when I saw Kerfoot in position to engage Hedman there and kill some extra time instead of being passive.

Yeah I don't get the people trying to make him the scapegoat. That was an unfortunate situation all around and we should've never been in a position for that 5 on 3 to happen in the first place.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It’s a painstaking process but at least in the last 22 years, no team in the playoffs has played 3 consecutive games with a 5 on 3 PP besides the Tampa Bay Lightning against the Leafs this year. I’m sure it goes back even further but there is no site with easy filters to find this info.

Just crazy when you think about it because that is 22*8=176 playoff SERIES.
There are 15 series per year

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
PP Opportunities by game (* = 2 man advantages):

TBL 5, 7, 3, 8**, 5*, 3*
TOR 6*, 4, 5*, 3, 6, 1

Last night is the first game that any one team didn't get at least 3 PPs, and that was the Leafs getting only 1 PP.

2 man advantages breakdown:

TOR Gm 1: 1:04 maximum length, Starting @6:07 2nd Period, Leafs up 1 goal
TOR Gm 3: 0:25 maximum length, Starting @1:35 2nd Period, Tie game

TBL Gm 4: 1:51 maximum length, Starting @4:06 2nd Period, Bolts up 4 goals
TBL Gm 4: 0:14 maximum length, Starting @5:52 2nd Period, Bolts up 5 goals
TBL Gm 5: 0:30 maximum length, Starting @11:17 1st Period, Bolts up 2 goals
TBL Gm 6: 1:44 maximum length, Starting @8:18 3rd Period, Bolts down 1 goal

The only 2 man advantage in the 2nd half of any game, halfway through the 3rd period down 1 goal, nearly a full 2 minutes, in a game where the opponent was the first team in the series to get less than 3 pps in a game, with only 1.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Kerfoot is the stupidest Harvard grad to ever exist.
That sonovabitch did all he could to lose the game last night, disgusting.
The media keeps talking about him as if he passed his SAT's and got into Harvard and decided to play for their team. Not for a second thinking about the existence of scholarships and easy courses for the NCAA players that every Uni has in order to keep them playing. The guy is a moron...plain and simple. Why are you being so non chalant about a drop pass like its a PP when it's 4v4?

Some guy on twitter last year mentioned that we have always beaten ourselves in these tight games. It's always someone with a brain fart (Dermott, Gally etc.) that makes a huge mistake at some point. I don't know how you fix that....situational awareness perhaps? I don't know...but it's getting stupid.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I get it, not really relevant though, you're responsible for your own stick and where it ends up.

Not when your opponent is responsible for the stick hitting him in the face (i.e. by stick-lifting) or when a player takes a shot. It is actually in the rulebook.

Hedman lost the puck battle, tried to win it back, and lifted Kerfoot's stick into his own face. It is, by definition, not a penalty.

Same with a stick not hitting you in the face, like the first high-sticking penalty. They brought the whistles out for two non-calls and missed a bunch of far more blatant penalties.

The media keeps talking about him as if he passed his SAT's and got into Harvard and decided to play for their team. Not for a second thinking about the existence of scholarships and easy courses for the NCAA players that every Uni has in order to keep them playing. The guy is a moron...plain and simple. Why are you being so non chalant about a drop pass like its a PP when it's 4v4?

Some guy on twitter last year mentioned that we have always beaten ourselves in these tight games. It's always someone with a brain fart (Dermott, Gally etc.) that makes a huge mistake at some point. I don't know how you fix that....situational awareness perhaps? I don't know...but it's getting stupid.

Harvard doesn't have scholarships. The only thing athletics do is make it easier to stand out among a very competitive pool of applicants, but you still need to be a high level student to even get considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad