Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose Rematch to the Devils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Weren't both the PP and the PK supposed to go into god mode as soon as Mitch returned? :sarcasm:

We really need Bert on the PP instead of JT, and maybe Domi instead of Mitch.

The PK was looking better for a few games when the forwards were being more aggressive.

Reactions: TMLife17

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
The Leafs have four objectives leading up to the playoffs.
1. Get healthy 2. Establish their opening game line up and lines.
3. Enter the playoffs playing hard and fast
4. Get Matthews 70 goals and then rest him for a game or two.
It’s questionable if home ice would be to their benefit as they play better on the road. If they split the first two games on the road, they take back home ice anyway.
People are reading way too much into last nights game. They have the best record in the league over the last two months and Sammy’s been 18-4-1 since he was brought back up. All goalies have bad games and the Leafs didn’t play well in front of him. The important games start April 20th. Staying healthy and Matthews 70 goal chase are all that matters until then.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Lot of frustrating moments.
  • Allowing NJ to tie with 11 seconds left in the second
That goal was bullshit, a Devils player was holding on to Dewar's stick right after the faceoff so he couldn't even try to stick-check Meier before the shot. Although a real goalie might have at least tried to make that save too.

Galaxy brain Keefe playing Giordano instead of Timmins is another head scratcher but I guess he doesn't want home ice.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The PP needs a shakeup.
Bert, Matthews, Domi
Rielly, Marner
The unit that worked best was Liljegren-Marner-Bertuzzi-Matthews-Nylander. Only reason it got broken up was because both Marner and Liljegren got injured around the same time and have been out of the lineup.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Samsonov could have been 20-0 in his last 20 games and I still don't trust the guy

In the playoffs he's going to crack at the worst possible time, every time

We are screwed if he's in net

Reactions: Mad hatter

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Just saw this... wow... that's something...

With two more apples Thursday, Matthews' new go-to setup man is up to 36 5-on-5 assists. Only four NHLers have more than Domi, and they'll all be off to the Hall of Fame one day: Connor McDavid, Nikita Kucherov, Nathan MacKinnon, and Leon Draisaitl.

Samsonov could have been 20-0 in his last 20 games and I still don't trust the guy

In the playoffs he's going to crack at the worst possible time, every time

We are screwed if he's in net
What's our choice... its Woll or Jones... I hate Sammy's last game but you start him game 1 and hope to god and go from there.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

With two more apples Thursday, Matthews' new go-to setup man is up to 36 5-on-5 assists. Only four NHLers have more than Domi, and they'll all be off to the Hall of Fame one day: Connor McDavid, Nikita Kucherov, Nathan MacKinnon, and Leon Draisaitl.

What's our choice... its Woll or Jones... I hate Sammy's last game but you start him game 1 and hope to god and go from there.
If we get bounced in the 1st round again, pretty much sure it’s because of how many we let in, as opposed to not scoring enough. If we put up 3 or 4 goals a game but let in 4 or 5, I couldn’t really blame the offense

Reactions: Burnie97

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
If we get bounced in the 1st round again, pretty much sure it’s because of how many we let in, as opposed to not scoring enough. If we put up 3 or 4 goals a game but let in 4 or 5, I couldn’t really blame the offense
The last number of playoffs it has been usually finding the net is a problem.

If they can score on Florida... who is the most likely playoff opponent ... then yes I think Leafs will be good to go.

Bob was crazy good last year. Hard to repeat that performance.

We just need mid goaltending. No we might not get it so it could be rough... and if so I think if they don't go far here with one of our goalies... leafs go out this summer and make a trade or sign a guy who they believe can do it.

It'll be unlikely we get all the D we need this off season... but fingers crossed.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

We have no goalie period. Neither do most teams these days though. Which kind of defeats what I said but either way we have no reliable goaltending so we're still screwed

Weaker goalies mean more scoring and if all teams have weak goalies then it's an even playing field round the board.

The days of superstar goalies are long gone and it's no accident or some kind of unfortunate situation. This is how the league wants it because when you have 10 goals every game due to garbage goalies it makes the game more exciting and a more exciting game equals more viewership - plus, if all goalies suck on all 32 teams then it's a fair game for all teams.

It's the new NHL and all by design

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
We have no goalie period. Neither do most teams these days though. Which kind of defeats what I said but either way we have no reliable goaltending so we're still screwed

Weaker goalies mean more scoring and if all teams have weak goalies then it's an even playing field round the board.

The days of superstar goalies are long gone and it's no accident or some kind of unfortunate situation. This is how the league wants it because when you have 10 goals every game due to garbage goalies it makes the game more exciting and a more exciting game equals more viewership - plus, if all goalies suck on all 32 teams then it's a fair game for all teams.

Goals are up so yeah goalie stats are down but it will balance out in the next few years.

This is a special season not seen in a while. Many guys hitting milestones. Guys peaking and guys at the near end having elite seasons.

Regardless of playoffs... this regular season has been good if not great.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Lmao at "sloppy defensive effort". f*** off. They allowed 20 shots. Samsonov singlehandedly lost the game for them with a big assist from Keefe for not pulling him. Nothing else needs to be said. Rest of the team deserved better.
Brodie and Gio say “thank you” for your kind comments.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Bruins @ Pitt, @ Wash, Sens
Florida Sabres, Leafs

Panthers one point behind still have a shot of winning the division if Bruins stumble.
Nylander is 14th in the league in PP points while being 1st on the Leafs

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Holmberg McMann Knies
Kampf Dewar Reaves

I’m not that jazzed about Jarnkrok’s return, he was useless last playoff and has never done anything post season his entire career. With Dewar and McMann emerging on the PK, he isn’t the necessity we think he is, but I know Keefe loves him to death so…
So your 3rd line is an all-rookie line for the playoffs? Yikes!

Reactions: arso40 and ToneDog

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The unit that worked best was Liljegren-Marner-Bertuzzi-Matthews-Nylander. Only reason it got broken up was because both Marner and Liljegren got injured around the same time and have been out of the lineup.
I've been saying that for a while - Bert is a better net front presence than JT.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

How is the NHL designing weaker goalies?

Are they going around kneecapping all the better goalies as soon as they hit 16?

Are they instructing all teams to not hire any goalies on their secret 'top 100' list?

Are they kidnapping all the competent goalie coaches and replacing them with their own specially trained incompetent ones?

Maybe they are just breaking into all the houses of all the good goalies in the world and hiding machines that broadcast subliminal 'play like crap' messages?

The fact that we have never heard any suggestion of anything even remotely like this is just proof of the extent of the conspiracy, right?

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Wow Lots of over reaction in here to one game. Jersey can score goals, even with their big gun out. Sammy had a meh game and the D left him out to dry. Sh!t happens in a season, to every team and every goalie. For some posters in here saying we are totally doomed with our goal tending is over-the-top panic.

We've been pretty hot lately, a little dressing down stinker isn't all bad. We needed to be humbled a bit. Wakes everyone up a little including Keefe hopefully.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
How is the NHL designing weaker goalies?

Are they going around kneecapping all the better goalies as soon as they hit 16?

Are they instructing all teams to not hire any goalies on their secret 'top 100' list?

Are they kidnapping all the competent goalie coaches and replacing them with their own specially trained incompetent ones?

Maybe they are just breaking into all the houses of all the good goalies in the world and hiding machines that broadcast subliminal 'play like crap' messages?

The fact that we have never heard any suggestion of anything even remotely like this is just proof of the extent of the conspiracy, right?
wow could your tinfoil hat be any bigger?

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
You're the one who suggested that the NHL was designing weaker goalies.

I was just asking how.
lol YOU literally just listed 4 or 5 tinfoil hat conspiracies!!!

where do you guys come up with this stuff

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Samsonov is the perfect goalie for this team, like Bits and Bites, you never know what your going to get handful to handful............

every year the Leafs display killer offense in the regular season and every playoffs it dries up like a popcorn fart, what's going to change this year?

• Haha
Reactions: Burnie97

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Samsonov is the perfect goalie for this team, like Bits and Bites, you never know what your going to get handful to handful............

every year the Leafs display killer offense in the regular season and every playoffs it dries up like a popcorn fart, what's going to change this year?
We might get flukey, lol!! I don’t expect much. Will still be down for a day but no big deal.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
lol YOU literally just listed 4 or 5 tinfoil hat conspiracies!!!

where do you guys come up with this stuff
I guess you missed it.

YOU came up with the insane idea that it is the design of the NHL to have weaker goalies.

All I was doing was making fun of your crazy idea.

Maybe you didn't miss it after all - you certainly haven't offered anything to support your statement. All you've done is to try to deflect your weird idea onto me.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I guess you missed it.

YOU came up with the insane idea that it is the design of the NHL to have weaker goalies.

All I was doing was making fun of your crazy idea.

Maybe you didn't miss it after all - you certainly haven't offered anything to support your statement. All you've done is to try to deflect your weird idea onto me.
Internet is going hard today 😂

I need what that guy has been smokin

Reactions: notDatsyuk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad