Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose in SO

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
That Kadri play was just plain weird. Bound to get a suspension simply for being careless. Of course that kind of thing happens in open ice on occasion. Guys don't look where they are going and collide with a teammate. In this case he watched the puck, didn't read where Backstrom was and ran into him. And even worse Backstrom got hurt in the collision.

Sure Backstrom was moving/moved out of the crease to a degree but not enough to give Kadri a break on the collision. Can only hope that it's not a big suspension because of the lack of intent. Probably not though since injuries usually rule over whatever a guy intended to do.
I can't believe some of the people around here. One week a hero and next week the goat. Give Kessel a break people. Yes he sucks on shootouts; but it's not like he made the call to send him out. Yes the tying goal went off his skate, that ***** happens sometimes. The bounces didn't go his way tonight ... that happens.

Kadri's second questionable hit though, that was bad. And a 5 minute major penalty kill half way through the third ... that was impressive. Too bad they couldn't carry it through for those killers.
I can't believe some people can't allow criticism when a guy has a bad game. You play well you get props, you play bad and cost your team the game you get criticized for it. Best players need to be your best players, not your worst.

Terrible giveaway to start that play and then off his foot as if to seal that goal being all on him. Still the best player on the team and will give him props when he bounces back in a big way. If you can't criticize when a guy screws up then why bother giving him credit when he succeeds? I don't see anyone saying to trade Kessel, just giving him a bad mark on a game he played poorly in.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
The more you watch this GIF the less dirty the play looks. I didn't notice it before but he's actually trying to tip the puck. I don't know how someone can expect him to get out of the way when he goes from looking at the boards to looking at the puck to try to tip it. Backstrom suddenly darts out towards Kadri when he makes the save which takes away any chance of Kadri stopping or avoiding contact. It's the follow through that the league might have a problem with but the contact had nothing to do with the follow through.

Well it clearly doesn't look intentional at this angle. Still a headshot though so he'll most likely be suspended.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
This is just flawed logic.
Yeah, I mean Lucic is on the (can't be suspended) Bruins and Kadri is on the Leafs. Pretty much says it all right there ;). But really hits are different and the times are different. Little chance something doesn't happen.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
The goalie is on his knees. It's impossible to avoid his head if they were to collide.

Yeah but you know the whole basis of suspensions. It was incidental contact to the head, intentional or not, Shanahan's probably going to do something. It may make us feel better that perhaps Backstrom was out of his crease, but it doesn't change the fact that Kadri rammed into him and knocked him out. In this League, headshots coupled with injuries usually end up not so nice for the guy who did it.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Yeah, I mean Lucic is on the (can't be suspended) Bruins and Kadri is on the Leafs. Pretty much says it all right there ;). But really hits are different and the times are different. Little chance something doesn't happen.
:laugh:

Well I meant more on one occuring after the other... the league has been gung-ho on defending goalies ever since the Lucic/Miller incident. Tootoo wouldn't have been suspended if Lucic hadn't run Miller earlier that week. Kadri's arguably in the same boat as Tootoo.

Team Overrated

Aug 5, 2013
:laugh:

Well I meant more on one occuring after the other... the league has been gung-ho on defending goalies ever since the Lucic/Miller incident. Tootoo wouldn't have been suspended if Lucic hadn't run Miller earlier that week. Kadri's arguably in the same boat as Tootoo.

To me. I don't think it warrants a suspension. He went to the net tried to tip the puck. I am glad shanny is an ex player. I think he will look at the the video and give Kadri a wrist slap.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He had to leave the game...

I can't believe some other people are trying to defend Kadri. If that was someone hitting Bernier like that, and Bernier had to leave the game, everybody here would be pissing their pants crying for suspension. There's NO excuse for that. He didn't do anything to try and stop, he wasn't pushed into Backstrom, and he even extended his arm. He wasn't trying to raise his arm out of the way or something like someone said. To me it looks like he turned and saw Backstrom, and his initial instinct was to hit. Woulda been fine if it was a player, but he's around the net, he should know where he is and that the goalie would be right there. No awareness whatsoever. I hope he's suspended.

Too funny....you hope he is suspended! ......what?

I say it is 50/50 at best that he gets suspended, his back was to the goalie and when he turn the goalie is well out of the crease, who caused the contact....Backstrom did!

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Our best player tonight got tossed.....our top players need to be better and they were not very good. McClements and Kulie were insanely good on the PK. Gunnar was our best D man tonight....Franson was horrible.

We do not have enough players willing to take a check to make a play....Dion pulled the chute several times tonight and Kessel the same so many times...until all players are willing to do so we will struggle.

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
On the road against a tough team while down 2 of our top 3 centres and the 3rd for part of the game...

I'll take the point and run.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Kessel cant really deke, he doesnt have the greatest hands. He does the same thing every time, stick handle for 5 seconds and then shoot high gloves, he does the EVERY TIME, or tries 5 hole, i don't know why hes used in the shootout...

I would like to see him try what Pominville did in the shootout - skate in real slow and psych the goalie out.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
You win some you lose some. Our record against the West is still better than most other East teams.

Next 3 games are big, need 5 out of 6 points against BUF/NYI and we'll be 1st-2nd by the time Bozak can come back.

mikebel111*

There will be tougher losses than this. We got a point. Those are very important these days. I only watched the highlights. I think it should be half and half chance that kadri gets suspended

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
Too funny....you hope he is suspended! ......what?

I say it is 50/50 at best that he gets suspended, his back was to the goalie and when he turn the goalie is well out of the crease, who caused the contact....Backstrom did!

Yeah, because he deserves it. Somebody needs to teach him a lesson, honestly. I know he plays with an edge, it's part of his game, and I love that, but there's a smart way to play with an edge, and there's a dumb way to play with an edge. Tonight he played it dumb.

There's no way the moment Kadri turned around he made contact with Backstrom. He clearly initiates contact. Look at his arm.

goalieinterference_medium.gif

He's facing Backstrom before he ever makes contact, and he doesn't even try to stop. You're telling me he couldn't have put on the brakes? Instead he just follows through and you can CLEARLY see he pushes with his right arm against Backstrom's head. Like I said, maybe it was just an instinct he sees someone in red and thinks to hit, but if that's the case that's on Kadri and nobody else. He needs to be more aware of where he is on the ice, simple as that.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
.....his back was to the goalie and when he turn the goalie is well out of the crease, who caused the contact....Backstrom did!
Even by liberal homer standards, these contentions are a far stretch.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Our best player tonight got tossed.....our top players need to be better and they were not very good. McClements and Kulie were insanely good on the PK. Gunnar was our best D man tonight....Franson was horrible.

We do not have enough players willing to take a check to make a play....Dion pulled the chute several times tonight and Kessel the same so many times...until all players are willing to do so we will struggle.

Bernier didn't get tossed. :naughty:

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON

This .gif makes it look far worse than it was. I've seen this often with questionable-hit replays, where the clip is sped up for the moment of impact. Kind of pathetic and very obvious in this case.

Saying that, Kadri is a big reason why the Leafs lost. The Backstrom hit was dumbdumbdumb, and he should have cooled his **** for the rest of the game. Instead, he makes a hard (yet completely legal) hit on Granlund and whatever momentum the Leafs had was gone.

Must be smarter than that.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Kessel fanned on the shot... Big deal. **** happens, not his fault. The reason they lost is because they were outclassed by the better team, with better goaltending.

Agree thAt Clarkson has to go. Put that bum on waivers and pray someone picks him up. Not way anyone would with his contract though.

Huge loss tonight. This team is in big trouble.

tied for division lead even though

not been able to ice a full team since the beginning of the year due to injuries or suspensions. Clarkson, lupul, Bozak, Bolland, Kulemin, Fraser. 4 of our top six out for exxtended periods of time.

and YEP we are in trouble

some posters have no idea about the game of hockey

Hockey IQ 0%

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
I can't believe some of the people around here. One week a hero and next week the goat. Give Kessel a break people. Yes he sucks on shootouts; but it's not like he made the call to send him out. Yes the tying goal went off his skate, that ***** happens sometimes. The bounces didn't go his way tonight ... that happens.

Kadri's second questionable hit though, that was bad. And a 5 minute major penalty kill half way through the third ... that was impressive. Too bad they couldn't carry it through for those killers.

just wait till dion makes a snafu. You think the hate on kessel is bad

Dion is by far(with the exception of our goalies) our most important player
right now and he is playing like a Norris candidate BUT just wait until he
makes a mistake - all the daggers will come out from all the usual suspects who disappear whenever he has a great game.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Should be no suspension for either, tender poked the stick out in his direction he tried to turn out of the way at speed and clocked him by accident.

Second hit was just a good hockey hit and people whining because its a contact sport.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
He had to leave the game...

I can't believe some other people are trying to defend Kadri. If that was someone hitting Bernier like that, and Bernier had to leave the game, everybody here would be pissing their pants crying for suspension. There's NO excuse for that. He didn't do anything to try and stop, he wasn't pushed into Backstrom, and he even extended his arm. He wasn't trying to raise his arm out of the way or something like someone said. To me it looks like he turned and saw Backstrom, and his initial instinct was to hit. Woulda been fine if it was a player, but he's around the net, he should know where he is and that the goalie would be right there. No awareness whatsoever. I hope he's suspended.
The commentators also said Reimer was faking it then we found out he had a concussion and missed several games yet no apology from said commentators

Food for thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad