Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose in OT

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I can't believe I stayed up to 1 am to watch that garbage on TV ..another game where we were badly outskated around ice and badly outworked on wall and net front for loose pucks .. no one really cared except Mitch and our rook tender .. absolutely pitiful display by a pro hockey team in front of an almost completely empty barn ..

Willy OMG why did you even lace em up?????? were you trying to show people how bad JT really is??????? dude wrong way to show people hockey people who watch games closely already know JT is terrible and should be moved to wing now .. I am sick too of Leafs PR machine propping him up LOL ..

and Matty nice shot a beauty for sure but you had your breakfast lunch and dinner handed to you by Couture?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Do you think that is acceptable? a few minutes into game and Couture tears by you when you had lead position and beats you to a puck and slams in your face .. sure Holl got beat to a puck because he can't skate at NHL level sure but you should have beat YOUR man to that loose puck .. absolutely f*ckin DISGRACEFUL ... lose da fat dude .. be a freakin player and lose da poundage .. you are so freakin slow on da ice it is an embarrassment to Leaf nation .. again caved on around ice from our C's once again and to San Jose no less

and what a way to lose Willy JT and Sandin .. Sandin you are a freakin D man not a winger if you want to play wing then change positions .. what a selfish decision to do in deep like that for a hail mary pass attempt from Willy .. dude sure Keefer was wrong to put 2 slowest guys in NHL on ice at same time but you have to recognize that as a D and play safe .. and your attempt to Hussle back was brutal even JT was faster than you .. sorry man you don't even have close to NHL speed .. you are a mid pack AHL speed guy and it won't cut in da show ... OMG what a sh*t show of terrible decisions made on LOSER goal

Just absolutely a disgusting display from a skilled team .. skill alone just does not cut folks .. we need more speed and size injected into this lineup .. it is flat out WAY WAY WAY too SLOW
Sandin didn't have a good game but the o/t goal was on JT . Johnny pj's should have stayed in the center of the ice and high instead ofr going wide and starting to drop down , i have no idea where he thought he was going with 2 Leafs already low .

the pr machine pimping Johnny works on the fans who don't pay close enough attention but i doubt his teammates are amused with him getting pimped while they get thrown under the bus

Last edited:

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Because our core four take up 50% of our salary cap. It’s too much money allocated into four forwards, we all know that and we all get that. I’ve been saying one of Nylander or Marner needs to be traded and I’d rather keep Nylander because I’ll personally take the player who can shoot and score the puck better. But that’s not to say no other GM would want any of our top four players. That’s a very stupid comment to make. You put Marner on the trade block, almost every team if not every team would be inquiring.
Marner would fetch a kings ransom. In real money, Marner is only owed about $16 mil for his final three seasons. That's just over 5 mil per year. Lots of poor teams would die for that. Poor teams operate under a real money cap, not the NHL salary cap.

Now... how would mlse feel about spending 50 mil for 3 years of Marner? That's another question entirely...

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Sandin didn't have a good game but the o/t goal was on JT . Johnny pj's should have stayed in the center of the ice and high instead going wide and starting to drop down , i have no idea where he thought he was going with 2 Leafs already low .

the pr machine pimping Johnny works on the fans who don't pay close enough attention but i doubt his teammates are amused with him getting pimped while theyget thrown under the bus
I think Tavares thought the chances were pretty slim that Nylander would willingly just give the puck to the Sharks. It almost looked intentional.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I think you're being a little too optimistic. Most contenders wouldn't have the cap room, and those teams that do have the cap room have it for a reason.

But there may be a couple dumber GM's out there, so who knows.
Depends, you look at a contender that also disappoints year after year like Carolina. If they have another disappointing finish in the playoffs, maybe they’re willing to make a blockbuster move of a star for another star. Marner is also owed less money than his cap hit, etc. There would be a lot of teams lining up for Marner, he’s easily one of the best wingers in the game.

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
Maybe we should root for same terrible games against LA and Ducks? Keefe gets canned and it will be fun despite huge challenges? Can’t be any worse than that.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Holl was laughably bad on that first goal. Kallgren was not much better.

Need to be cleaner on the defensive side of the game if we are to go on and do damage in the playoffs.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Sandin didn't have a good game but the o/t goal was on JT . Johnny pj's should have stayed in the center of the ice and high instead going wide and starting to drop down , i have no idea where he thought he was going with 2 Leafs already low .

the pr machine pimping Johnny works on the fans who don't pay close enough attention but i doubt his teammates are amused with him getting pimped while theyget thrown under the bus

OT goal was all on Nylander. That was a high stake play, didn't work out
I am not going to hold that against William and JT

The fact that we went to OT against the sharks, that's what worrysome. On top of that against their backup goalie

We have zero depth. We can't count on our 4th line to generate any offense, I still dont' know who or what is Jarnkrok.

For all his flank, Kallgren kept us in the game last night

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Holl was laughably bad on that first goal. Kallgren was not much better.

Need to be cleaner on the defensive side of the game if we are to go on and do damage in the playoffs.

There's not a single goal Kallgren could do anything about.
They scored 2 goals in 5-3 and 5-4

One was tipped and other was a goal mouth pass. It's easy to blame the goalie but in one play our team took two bonehead penalties

Luckily Sharks are also a bonehead team. Karlsson literally gave us the game and so did Vlasic with a drop pass with one minute to go in 2nd

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
This team is slow.. if that was mhikeyeve in OT instead of Tavares he not only would have caught up to Karlsson, he would of taken the puck and countered for his own break away
Sure, but I don't recall Mikheyev getting a lot of 3-3 OT time though.

Reactions: fahad203

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
This team is slow.. if that was mhikeyeve in OT instead of Tavares he not only would have caught up to Karlsson, he would of taken the puck and countered for his own break away
I don't miss Mikheyev at all, but you are correct about team speed.

We look like one of the slowest teams in the NHL.

Imagine that - the entire league starts to spend assets and draft speed, and in response, we get slower. Who would have thought going against the grain in every single way would backfire.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Mikheyev would never see the ice in OT.

Reactions: egd27

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I don't miss Mikheyev at all, but you are correct about team speed.

We look like one of the slowest teams in the NHL.

Imagine that - the entire league starts to spend assets and draft speed, and in response, we get slower. Who would have thought going against the grain in every single way would backfire.

We don't have that threat of breaking out. Kapanen used to miss all the breakaways. But he had that fear factor, that he can outskate anyone

From Grabner, Marleau, Kapanen to Mikaheyev. We always had speed on that 3rd

We no longer have that fear factor

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
We don't have that threat of breaking out. Kapanen used to miss all the breakaways. But he had that fear factor, that he can outskate anyone

From Grabner, Marleau, Kapanen to Mikaheyev. We always had speed on that 3rd

We no longer have that fear factor
Also did you see that clip of Matthews non-existent backcheck on the 1st Couture goal last night?

f***ing embarrassing. Borderline controller disconnect moment like Ovechkin.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
OT goal was all on Nylander. That was a high stake play, didn't work out
I am not going to hold that against William and JT

The fact that we went to OT against the sharks, that's what worrisome. On top of that against their backup goalie

We have zero depth. We can't count on our 4th line to generate any offense, I still dont' know who or what is Jarnkrok.

For all his flank, Kallgren kept us in the game last night
yup our goalie played fine and our depth is crap which is what one would expect when your shopping in the bargain bin

Willie made the right play after he was cut off from the driving the net , the pass didn't get through but it was the right play

but do me a favor and go and take another look at the goal and tell me what the f*** JT was doing going wide and starting to drop down with 2 Leafs already low

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
He goes down so quickly and showed some indecision on the first goal. He should have attacked that puck.
Sure. I agree. But he's not the reason why we lost

Our team didn't come prepared. They never are it seems
They took stupid penalties

All these are constant mental break downs for a movie we have seen many many times. Justin Holl threw the puck over the glass, gave the puck away

Top line again no where near where they should. Barabanov out all people hitting everyone and no response

Kallgren is who he is. He's not getting paid $4.5 million to watch movies like Murray
We didn't grow our goalie pipeline

Kallgren should be the least of our worries. We lost because we chose not to play and put in the effort along with constantly mental breakdowns

Also did you see that clip of Matthews non-existent backcheck on the 1st Couture goal last night?

f***ing embarrassing. Borderline controller disconnect moment like Ovechkin.

The fact that Svenchikov was poking and slashing Matthews and no response from the team should tell you "team" concept

If that was McDavid, even Ryan Softhopkins would gone after Svenchkov. But not us. Toughness is only when Simmonds around

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022

All these are constant mental break downs for a movie we have seen many many times. Justin Holl threw the puck over the glass, gave the puck away

Top line again no where near where they should. Barabanov out all people hitting everyone and no response

Kallgren is who he is. He's not getting paid $4.5 million to watch movies like Murray

Kallgren should be the least of our worries. We lost because we chose not to play and put in the effort along with constantly mental breakdowns

The fact that Svenchikov was poking and slashing Matthews and no response from the team should tell you "team" concept

If that was McDavid, even Ryan Softhopkins would gone after Svenchkov. But not us. Toughness is only when Simmonds around
At some point, Matthews needs to "Dahlin" anyone who does that. Take the suspension. It's getting ridiculous.

I still feel like watching Montreal toss him around like a ragdoll while he smiles is one of the most f***ed up memories of this core.

Douggie or Wendel or even Sundin would not allow someone to clown them like that.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

I never said he was the reason we lost. In a lot of ways Kallgren is still learning his trade and mistakes will be made. A more experienced goalie probably attacks and pokes away the puck on the first goal.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
With the aggressive style Toronto'a defenders are asked to play you need some recovery speed. The backend is laughably slow leading to a lot of odd man rushes. Forwards aren't helping much either but that has been the case pretty much this cores entire existence

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad