Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose Game 1: 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
This game upset me more then it should have. No clear reason why. We played average and were still the better team so thats the positive. Nylander and Marner need to be much better. Matthews was fine. Tavares same like Marner and Nylander.
No need to overreact though. I would change Gio for Gustavsson but don't think Keefe has the courage. Put Bunting back on the top line. He's looked much more like himself since returning. Those are my 2 moves

I agree, Keefe has no courage, would never sit Holl, and would never split up Marner/Matthews... oh wait, this is something new that he has no courage to do?

Maybe he just doesn't agree with some other people's assessments.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Luck. I reject the premise that the Leafs got goalied, until maybe the empty net flurry at the end of the game when it was too late.
Yes both tenders played well .. Bobbo was a bit better .. Sammy swam on the 4th one but everyone forgets about da 1 minute of sustained pressure and chances before da weak goal .. we did not get out goalied we got out skated and out hustled for loose pucks .. da better team won da game as usually occurs

Reactions: geo25 and myleafs

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I would love a Shesterkin or Vasi right now, even though they are both golfing at the moment.
Found this picture of Vasi in attendance at a local golf tourney:

larsen-bends-9-iron.gif

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
It use to be that people were afraid to speak up and give whacked out opinions because they were worried they'd sound dumb.
The younger generation doesn't seem to have that fear.
Pretty sure he's a Troll, and not very good at it either.

I'm pretty sure he still would have had a better record than 1-6 in the playoffs.
1683131419137.png

Try harder.......

Zack47

Oct 21, 2017
This game was hard to evaluate overall, other than frustrating. One sequence was the turning point: Knies scores first goal after causing the second goal the other way: 2-1. Beautiful passing play soon after and Bunting scores: 2-2. Momentum. Wait: McCabe and Brodie both get caught way out of position and it's a breakaway. Really? A terrible mistake. Leafs have to learn to calm down after scoriing. Those first two minutes after scoring always seem to make them look their worst, and it is often due to over-aggressive play in the O zone.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
We didn't need to clear contracts though.
Yes, it took him a while to become what he did, and we may have justifiably moved on before that point anyway, but while his production remained pretty much the same from D+1 to D+2, it was still basically double the production he had put up when he was drafted in the 3rd round 2 years prior, and the same production he put up when they signed him to an ELC the year prior. What were they seeing when drafting and signing him so high so recently that suddenly became completely unworkable?
Was just a really weird decision to throw him away after his age 19 season for no reason as part of a package for some bad 1 year rental player during a rebuild.
Not the reason he's in Florida scoring goals against us, but still a bad, baffling decision.
As to why he was traded so soon after signing his ELC - he was traded at the beginning of training camp. I’d imagine there was info during the physicals that made him disposable. Taylor Beck was also in the deal and the Leafs traded for him that same off season.

He could have also been in the deal because Niagara wasn’t bringing him back as an overage and there was no room for him on the Marlies. Look at the 2015-16 Marlies roster.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Sammy showed the ability to bounce back against Tampa and was one of the main reasons we won.

Starting Holl would be a panic move at this point.
You're probably right, but it would be nice to see Sammy get in a groove and stay there.

Would agree if its a poor showing in back to back losses. Going to Florida 0-2, anything is on the table imo. If the Devils can stick a 22 year old Schmid in net ahead of their starter, so can the leafs.
Exactly what I was thinking!

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Regular season hockey < Playoff hockey .. playoff hokey is 10%+ faster and it ramps up every series in pro hockey .. there is not the same time and space to make possession hockey work .. speed TRUMPS skill .. grit grinder hockey helps and Mitchy can do more .. i hope he can keep his head up .. but he won't be da difference maker much like round 1 .. ROR and Mo both will play better and should be enough to take series back
So people are miraculously faster skaters in the playoffs. Interesting physics going on. Especially when the common perception is that there is less room

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Gave him away too easily. Couldn't develope him into anything lol.
The Leafs could have had Carter V. back for nothing when he cleared waivers with Tampa.

That was years after the Leafs and Islanders both gave up on him, and none of the other teams saw him as a future 40-goal scorer either.

Good for Carter Verhaeghe, and props to Florida for recognizing his talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad