Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose Game 1: 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I think the Prescout on bobrovsky needs to be better. There were a ton of shots missing the net or into the crest so they were repeatedly shooting for spots that don't exist.

Both goals be Bob swimming because he had to move side to side

Vasy gifted us some goals... Bob looks like he's getting some 2010's form back

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yep if Brodie decides to drop back here.......
View attachment 702294
instead of going after the puck as last man back, at worst its a 2 on 1 with O'Reilly providing back pressure.

By this point he changes his mind and gets caught in no man's land.
View attachment 702303
Would have been nice for the goalie to come up with a big save there and pick up his teammate.

Reactions: Smif, bax and egd27

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Yep if Brodie decides to drop back here.......
View attachment 702294
instead of going after the puck as last man back, at worst its a 2 on 1 with O'Reilly providing back pressure.

By this point he changes his mind and gets caught in no man's land.
View attachment 702303

The problem here also is where the heck is McCabe? Just freakin' play defense!

Would have been nice for the goalie to come up with a big save there and pick up his teammate.

Verhegae is on fire, can't give him that kind of opportunity on a breakaway.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The problem here also is where the heck is McCabe? Just freakin' play defense!

Verhegae is on fire, can't give him that kind of opportunity on a breakaway.
Nope, you can't let that happen but mistakes occur.
Panther goalie figured out how to stop Matthews on his.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Very few if any will agree with me, but I wouldn't mind giving Woll a start.
Would agree if its a poor showing in back to back losses. Going to Florida 0-2, anything is on the table imo. If the Devils can stick a 22 year old Schmid in net ahead of their starter, so can the leafs.

Reactions: geo25

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I think the Prescout on bobrovsky needs to be better. There were a ton of shots missing the net or into the crest so they were repeatedly shooting for spots that don't exist.

Both goals be Bob swimming because he had to move side to side

Vasy gifted us some goals... Bob looks like he's getting some 2010's form back
Seems like theyre still trying their strat they used against Vasi which is silly. Bob can become so chaotic when the puck is moving around, gives up rebounds too. Hes not like Vas where he will dominate the lower half of the net. Hes a smaller goalie that plays aggressive so going east-west will work better.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Samsonov looked and played like a one-year deal, reclamation type last night. Shaky, and looked almost lost on a few of the goals.

I fully expect him to settle down. But it's games like last night where I long for a steady goalie that you know will be rock solid for you 85% of the time.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Here's my birds eye view from Scotia .. both teams played their games .. Cats were faster, out competed us for pucks and deservedly won da game .. Cats are much faster than Bolts especially up front and their forecheck won them a lot of pucks and then they cycled us to death .. we still have big problems stopping da cycle .. but they also give up a ton more counters than Bolts too and Leafs could not capitalize in a north south game .. Cats will amp up speed in game 2 as I have seen them even faster against Bruins .. they looked a bit tired .. leafs need to bring more speed to game 2 and more compete for pucks

Mitch has trouble playing in north south speed games .. also has always will .. don't expect much from him this series .. but he can grind much better then game 1 and he needs to help out for loose pucks much much more .. Mo looked a little sleepy game 1 and bottom line he needs to create space like he did against tampa for us to win series bottom line .. Matty Mitch and JT can't create their own space in north south series so Mo needs to do it .. this will be KEY to a 2nd round win much like round 1 .. Mo knows it too .. ROR needs to be much better in game 2 as well .. he needs to play Barkov and beat Barkov .. he can and i think he will .. Willy went into scared mode Keefer .. Keefer get him a line-mate with speed like Kerfoot he plays better when playing with speed which will help hi open up ice .. maybe ROR Kerfoot and Willy for game 2

But all that said playoff hockey is WON and LOST on D and G .. Bobbo played very well .. Sammy played pretty good except for 4th goal but game was over at that point .. slight edge to Cats .. that said Brodie was horrific .. he got caught in no mans land 3 times in that game which created 3 great chances and da biggest one was da decisive Cats game winner on breakaway .. common Brodie you know better trained as a TO D as a kid those were house league mistakes .. you know da score you either pinch hard and blow up puck and man or you back off and play da 2 on 1 .. you can't pinch then half way stop and try to break back .. it can only ever lead to breakaways .. if you pinch and miss well it was a breakaway anyways .. common man that game is on YOU .. us hockey guys know it and you know it too .. we need you to make right calls all game long .. if you go south on us we are gonna lose

GLG we need a Tampa like comeback starting in game 2 .. i think it is doable but this is another really tough series likely going 7 my friends
Yawn. Do you ever have anything else? Lets forget the games over the last 4 years where he actually dominated this team. And don't give me bs about tight playoff hockey and then talk about speed.

Reactions: notbias

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Samsonov looked and played like a one-year deal, reclamation type last night. Shaky, and looked almost lost on a few of the goals.

I fully expect him to settle down. But it's games like last night where I long for a steady goalie that you know will be rock solid for you 85% of the time.

I would love a Shesterkin or Vasi right now, even though they are both golfing at the moment.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

The Best Leafs Everr

Jul 29, 2022
Keep the expectations low, if they win it's going to be a long series and if they lose, they lose. What's new in losing? Hopefully they can learn something from the win they got and build on it.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yawn. Do you ever have anything else? Lets forget the games over the last 4 years where he actually dominated this team. And don't give me bs about tight playoff hockey and then talk about speed.
Regular season hockey < Playoff hockey .. playoff hokey is 10%+ faster and it ramps up every series in pro hockey .. there is not the same time and space to make possession hockey work .. speed TRUMPS skill .. grit grinder hockey helps and Mitchy can do more .. i hope he can keep his head up .. but he won't be da difference maker much like round 1 .. ROR and Mo both will play better and should be enough to take series back

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This game upset me more then it should have. No clear reason why. We played average and were still the better team so thats the positive. Nylander and Marner need to be much better. Matthews was fine. Tavares same like Marner and Nylander.
No need to overreact though. I would change Gio for Gustavsson but don't think Keefe has the courage. Put Bunting back on the top line. He's looked much more like himself since returning. Those are my 2 moves

Reactions: leafsfan5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad