Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose Game 1: 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
So people are miraculously faster skaters in the playoffs. Interesting physics going on. Especially when the common perception is that there is less room
Guys don't go their hardest in regular season .. they do enough to qualify for playoffs .. doesn't mean they ALL do .. as guys like JT are at same level in preseason as in playoffs as he flat out has to be to even compete in preseason hockey .. this series is gonna come down to Rielly bottom line .. if he skates like in Tampa series it forces Florida C and D to go out of position to stop him and that opens up ice for Matty/JT to get their shots off .. most of team outside of Willy/Mo can't create their own ice .. those 2 flat out beat people straight up 1 on 1 because they can amp up their speed .. guys like Matty need to play pass pass pass to make a play and that is much harder to do when time and space on puck is significantly reduced

Reactions: geo25

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
We play like that 7 times I think we win.

Bob played great. Get ready for game 2.

Yeape. Bob was great but Bob isn't Hasek
He got beated twice by the post

He was twice undressed by out of all people Bunting and a rookie.
People are giving him too much credit

Panthers are on a high right now. We keep playing our game like yesterday and maybe with average goaltending ourselves, we will win

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
We play like that 7 times I think we win.

Bob played great. Get ready for game 2.

Yep. I know a loss is a loss. But I'm still just as confident that Toronto will take this series in 6.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Thought ROR and Marner struggled up front, and McCabe and Gio on the back end. Sammy was not at his best but he could have used more help from his teammates.

Disappointed but not discouraged. On to game two!

ROR held his own from what I saw. Wasn’t good. But wasn’t bad either.

Marner definitely was bullied off some pucks and he threw it away when his outlets were taken away.

Guy still has to learn to keep it simple with his speed and edges.

Leafs as a whole need to adjust to a very aggressive puck attack and passing lanes coverage.

Maurice wasn’t lying when he said Bruins played the same and adjusting to leafs will be the similar.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
What concerns me here is that the Leafs played great I thought, yet still lost. That didn't happen last round.
Eh, I think it's being overblown how 'great' they really played. They had a mostly garbage 1st period following the missed opportunities on the two PPs, dominated the second but still had some defensive lapses that cost them, and just got shut down in the third. Even statistically, they were outpossessed and ended up breakeven in scoring chances and expected goals.

Their skill and speed shone at times because the Panthers are not good defensively and play a more loose style than Tampa, but this game wasn't even really 'Leafs hockey'. If anything, this is how the Leafs looked 4-5 years ago. Under Keefe these last two years they've played far more defensively responsible hockey where they utilize a lot of short passes and the forwards come back and support the D in numbers, rather than bombing stretch passes or going end-to-end with rushes.

Their usual style is far more structured and if they play that way they should be able to take care of Florida.

Reactions: leafsfan5

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Leafs scored twice when they went hard to the net.

Do that more, cut the long shots, particularly when there is no traffic in front of Bob, and we got this.

Great to see Knies becoming what he is becoming, and liking Liljegren’s confidence.

He just needs to make sure his shots are hitting the net. He’s got a good one.

Go Leafs Go!

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I thought they played just ok, the first period was flat outside of the PP’s where they were whipping the puck around and were unlucky not scoring. Another point is, I thought the Leafs got caught up in playing the Panthers style, run and gun etc, I hope starting tomorrow and going forward that changes, maybe we were still mentally thinking about the Tampa series where it was more grinding it out. I hope Samsonov can also be better because if that’s the standard of goaltending we’re going to get this will be a quick series

I’m expecting a better result tomorrow, we got the feeling out game 1 out of the way, make adjustments, get a split here at bare minimum get a split in Florida and come back here in a best of 3

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You will need a time machine.

Or one of these:

1683156373557.jpeg

Instant Time Machine to the 80s

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Keep in mind Gio is the oldest Dman currently playing in the NHL nearing 40 years old.

For me its not Gio's fault he is getting older and struggling to keep up with players 10-15 years younger. That is how life works.
Agreed not blaming Gio, he's older and hockey wears you down. Keefe should have rested him a lot more than he did. If you can play 11-7 at the end of the season you should find room to rest the oldest dman in the league.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Eh, I think it's being overblown how 'great' they really played. They had a mostly garbage 1st period following the missed opportunities on the two PPs, dominated the second but still had some defensive lapses that cost them, and just got shut down in the third. Even statistically, they were outpossessed and ended up breakeven in scoring chances and expected goals.

Their skill and speed shone at times because the Panthers are not good defensively and play a more loose style than Tampa, but this game wasn't even really 'Leafs hockey'. If anything, this is how the Leafs looked 4-5 years ago. Under Keefe these last two years they've played far more defensively responsible hockey where they utilize a lot of short passes and the forwards come back and support the D in numbers, rather than bombing stretch passes or going end-to-end with rushes.

Their usual style is far more structured and if they play that way they should be able to take care of Florida.

Scoring chances were 39-26 Toronto per naturalstattrick

25-20 Florida at even strength though

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Leafs scored twice when they went hard to the net.

Do that more, cut the long shots, particularly when there is no traffic in front of Bob, and we got this.

Great to see Knies becoming what he is becoming, and liking Liljegren’s confidence.

He just needs to make sure his shots are hitting the net. He’s got a good one.

Go Leafs Go!
The point shots and tips worked well against Tampa.

Leafsseemed like they had a Gameplan for Boston and never really adjusted to Florida.

Leafs need to play like Tampa did last year against them.

Keep chances low, wait for Florida to make a mistake and turn it over. (Leafs had 17 takeaways last night) and pounce.

They don't need to go blow for blow.

Florida will gamble like crazy if they get down and the Leafs just need to capitalize

Reactions: Burnie97

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Imagine spending thousands and thousands of dollars to just hate a specific team.

That’s honestly just sad.
Privileged rich folk with too much time and money, and not enough common sense and humility.

They're going to show everyone how special they are.

Whoop-de-doo.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Privileged rich folk with too much time and money, and not enough common sense and humility.

They're going to show everyone how special they are.

Whoop-de-doo.
Harsh. I dont get the hate. Looks like a guy and his daughter having a blast. Its funny what they are doing IMO. Who cares how other people spend their money.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
The point shots and tips worked well against Tampa.

Leafsseemed like they had a Gameplan for Boston and never really adjusted to Florida.

Leafs need to play like Tampa did last year against them.

Keep chances low, wait for Florida to make a mistake and turn it over. (Leafs had 17 takeaways last night) and pounce.

They don't need to go blow for blow.

Florida will gamble like crazy if they get down and the Leafs just need to capitalize
/\
|
|

This 100%

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Florida is just being opportunistic and good on them so far but we need to be doing that.

Just play solid D and force them to turn the puck over.

Leafs shouldn't be forcing anything. The chances will come and there will be many.

Beat them at their own game.

I thought we looked much faster. Florida D isn't slowing Leafs down in the netural zone like Tampa. Leafs need to be on the attack but sometimes a dump and chase is fine or drive the net.

Their D isn't that good.

As for Bob whenever they're near the net... crash it. You know they will be to Sammy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad