Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-1 ... Well that was kind of expected...

Status
Not open for further replies.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
1993 was built on a couple of huge (in terms of player numbers) killer trades that worked out tremendously and couldn't possibly happen in 2016 cap world plus the emergence of Potvin. The buying or trading for of over the hill future hall of famers was more during the Quinn period.

Also they exploited tough economic times in Alberta during that period. Those times have returned for the worse but fortunately for them this time around the NHL has a safety net.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Remember when all people had on Bernier was that he let's in ****** goals? Well looks like Reimer is no different
Both goalies are ****, ship these 2 bums out the rebuild starts from the net

I've been saying this for ages now. Move them both out, hit the refresh button. This team just keeps on sinking into this decade-and-a-half bottomless pit. I don't see how there could be any untouchable players on this roster. Move everyone out, get something back for them, bring up some of the farm. Do something, anything.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I've been saying this for ages now. Move them both out, hit the refresh button. This team just keeps on sinking into this decade-and-a-half bottomless pit. I don't see how there could be any untouchable players on this roster. Move everyone out, get something back for them, bring up some of the farm. Do something, anything.

It's a good pit to be in this year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Dale Tallon is putting together a masterpiece in Florida.

He really knows how to build winning teams like he did in Chicago and now carrying on in Florida.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

It's a good pit to be in this year.

Yeah... I don't know about you, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of throwing Sparks or Bibeau out there every night in front of this group.

You need an established veteran who can get shelled every night... No point in breaking a young goalies confidence.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

He really knows how to build winning teams like he did in Chicago and now carrying on in Florida.

Tallon has made some really questionable decisions contract-wise. Bolland, Fleischmann and Mitchell stand out.

His draft record has been sparkling though (yes he has had high picks to work with)

Bjugstad, Trochek and the Barkov pick have all turned out really well. Not to mention the can't misses in Ekblad, Huberdeau and Gudbrandson

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yeah... I don't know about you, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of throwing Sparks or Bibeau out there every night in front of this group.

You need an established veteran who can get shelled every night... No point in breaking a young goalies confidence.

Who of Bernier or Reimer do you think would be mentally tough enough to go through and season of this while they find/groom a replacement?

I guess maybe the better question is who would Babcock prefer?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Tallon has made some really questionable decisions contract-wise. Bolland, Fleischmann and Mitchell stand out.

His draft record has been sparkling though (yes he has had high picks to work with)

Bjugstad, Trochek and the Barkov pick have all turned out really well. Not to mention the can't misses in Ekblad, Huberdeau and Gudbrandson

Leafs wasted rebuild years under the old regime.

Should be closer to the destination than the departure gates.

Hopefully, any moves they do make are for younger players at the cost of veterans, of which the team is chock full, and only a couple under 25's regulars on the squad.

2015 and 2016 entry drafts are going to determine how far along this team is.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Who of Bernier or Reimer do you think would be mentally tough enough to go through and season of this while they find/groom a replacement?

I guess maybe the better question is who would Babcock prefer?

Does it really matter? You're more or less in the business of losing. I think the consensus is that neither of them are the goalie that would take us to a Cup. You pick one who can play 60/40 with Sparks Or Bibeau while this team goes through a couple more years of hell.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

His best move was trading for Luongo. But any team is going to look good when they're averaging .926 SV%. In Florida's case, with Luongo's age and Montoya inconsistency, that's just not sustainable.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Because Florida has so many young and cheap (and really good) players on their roster Florida was forced to spend to reach the cap floor on previous UFA signings.

Even with signings like Bolland (whom Tallon drafted in Chicago) the Panthers still have over $16 mil in free cap space as on now.

Tallon needed filler players until his kids were ready to carry the mail and that is exactly what is happening now as the future has arrived in the Sunshine state.

PS. Don't forget Leafs were offering Bolland almost $5 mil to stay so as a UFA, past former Leaf GMs drove up the market price as is the case with inflationary free agent signings.

However I'm really talking about 19 year old Ekblad and 20 year old Barkov as cornerstone building blocks at key core positions. :)

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Did the Leafs defense ever get exposed last night?!

Two goals where the Panthers'forwards had no resistance, and Reimer was on his own, one goal where the defender was playing goaltender and being completely useless(defender).

One non goal where the Panthers' defender went end to end without being touched for an around the net point blank shot on net.

This one was over at the 15 minute mark of the 2nd. period, and until Phaneuf took the penalty he wasn't noticeable.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
His best move was trading for Luongo. But any team is going to look good when they're averaging .926 SV%. In Florida's case, with Luongo's age and Montoya inconsistency, that's just not sustainable.

Luongo's age is concerning but being able to get a good goalie to stabilize the net has had a big impact on allowing the Panthers to take the next step in their rebuild.

Something to be mindful for the Leafs - goaltending is fickle but if they can keep a constant steady starter, they should do it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Reimer has a .932 sv% and Leafs are tied for last in the NHL overall standings. ;)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Did the Leafs defense ever get exposed last night?!

Two goals where the Panthers'forwards had no resistance, and Reimer was on his own, one goal where the defender was playing goaltender and being completely useless(defender).

One non goal where the Panthers' defender went end to end without being touched for an around the net point blank shot on net.

This one was over at the 15 minute mark of the 2nd. period, and until Phaneuf took the penalty he wasn't noticeable.

I have a joke in response.

Ok so the current Leafs roster faces the Florida Panthers... That's the joke...

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
For those who cite Corsi, Florida are in the bottom 3rd of the league in Corsi (24th).

Corsi isn't the only advanced stat people should look at, although it probably will catch up with them when it matters most.

There's a reason teams with poor corsi haven't won a cup since they've began calculating the statistic.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

yeah, you're right - putting Sparks or Bibeau out there along with this atrocious roster night after night could very well ruin their confidence. They need to save those guys for when the team becomes competitive (if ever).

So until then, Reimer and Bernier will continue to be used as "bridge" goalies - just use them to bridge this gap until we get to a competitive state - then they'll both be moved out. Neither of them will be cup goalies on this team, they're kind of like Peter Horachek - they're "temps" - here for now but not for later.

If the Leafs sign either of these two goalies, again, I still say it'll be for a short term and just so they can fill the gap until the team finally climbs out of the basement.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
13th. for shots allowed.
28th. for shots for.

Leafs are 27th. for shots allowed. (Higher number is worse)

So allow fewer shots and have a good goalie.

There is more to it than just looking at shots.

Leafs are actually in the middle of the pack when it comes to scoring chances a game. And when it comes to high-danger scoring chances(differential) Leafs have the 7th best in the league(+41). I.E they've had more dangerous chances for than against this year, and in the elite category for that.

Both those statistics are calculated at even strength.

That is one of the many reasons Babcock is a better coach than Carlyle.

Just for fun, here are Carlyle's scoring chances for and against differential...

2014/2015
Normal Chances=-390
High Danger Scoring Chances= -175

2013/2014
Normal Chances=-541
High Danger Scoring Chances= -239

2012/2013(Lockout Season)
Normal Chances=-223
High Danger Scoring Chances= -87

JUST THINK ABOUT THAT lol, that's the garbage we watched for 3 years...

And for those that are curious, here are the leafs this year so far:

Normal Scoring Chances= +19
High Danger Scoring Chances = +41

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
yeah, you're right - putting Sparks or Bibeau out there along with this atrocious roster night after night could very well ruin their confidence. They need to save those guys for when the team becomes competitive (if ever).

So until then, Reimer and Bernier will continue to be used as "bridge" goalies - just use them to bridge this gap until we get to a competitive state - then they'll both be moved out. Neither of them will be cup goalies on this team, they're kind of like Peter Horachek - they're "temps" - here for now but not for later.

If the Leafs sign either of these two goalies, again, I still say it'll be for a short term and just so they can fill the gap until the team finally climbs out of the basement.

The difference between the two is one is putting up results. Reimer is playing lights up. If Riemer is actually a 0.925 save percentage goalie why on worth would we trade him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad