Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3: Tank Commander Bernier Back in Action

YOYOTCROSTER*

Neither current Leaf goalies are, or were, great. They are both backup quality who have shown glimpses of very good play for short durations as a starter.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
Two Things

1. Lombardi said himself the only reason Bernier was dealt was because he promised he'd deal him somewhere he could get a chance to start his career.
2. They went out of their way after the trade to speak very highly of Bernier and both Hextall and Lombardi were adamant in their thought that Bernier was a future starter and would be a very good one at that.

Players get traded. Doesn't mean they are bad. That Gretzky guy got dealt twice.

Lombardi has admitted that he was completely wrong about Richards when he didn't buy him out when he had a chance.

So, even with two Stanley Cups, he could be wrong about Bernier as well. And Bernier's performance does kind of supports that.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Leafs really are tanking.

The Rangers were 13 and 3. Reimer had a save percentage of .962,so what do we do? Play a 0-6-1 goalie..enough said. I guess Dubas' calculator broke. Bernier is garbage.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
The Rangers were 13 and 3. Reimer had a save percentage of .962,so what do we do? Play a 0-6-1 goalie..enough said. I guess Dubas' calculator broke. Bernier is garbage.

3rd game in 4 nights, you pretty much always play the backup for one of the b2b games in that situation unless your goalie was Martin Brodeur.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Lombardi has admitted that he was completely wrong about Richards when he didn't buy him out when he had a chance.

So, even with two Stanley Cups, he could be wrong about Bernier as well. And Bernier's performance does kind of supports that.

Not arguing that.

But the poster said that because Lombardi traded him away, Bernier was no good.

I was saying that Lombardi didn't trade him away because he was no good.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

Reimer had a 25 shot third period the night before.

Because he's a scrambler, that's even more tiring on him than a more positional netminder. giving him a rest after such a flurry the night before isn't a bad idea.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
If the Leafs only had Reimer and another backup, they would absolutely grab a guy with starter potential off of waivers.

You can say you don't believe anyone would take him, but that doesn't make it true. It doesn't even justify your own argument.

The facts are he's had 55 games two years ago where he looked like a great starter. 58 games last year where looked like an ok starter, and 4 games this season where he looked bad. You're putting way to much weight on the immediate past, but actual NHL teams won't. He's likely going to bounce back to ok starter level play, and even possibly to great starter level play.

I don't think so, you can't recover from a groin injury during the season to be able to play a starters workload, at least not with good results.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I'm not that upset that we're learning now who Bernier really is. At least we can definitively cross him off the list of who should be here long term.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Why is it okay to compare a Reimer who had no confidence and no fair chance to win the crease to Bernier when he was given every advantage? Look at how Bernier is playing now that he has no confidence and isn't being handed the crease. That's what it was like for Reimer, nothing was going right, so of course he's going to play below his abilities. You are comparing the worst of Reimer to the best of Bernier. Look at these 8 games, and Reimer's performance in the shortened season. The only reason the sample size is small is because he wasn't given a chance to play. Hardly his fault

There is so much bias here it is ridiculous. You're blaming me for comparing the best of Bernier to the worst of Reimer, but you turn around and act like it's ok to compare the best of Reimer to the worst of Bernier.

Also I used a 2 YEAR sample size, it's not my fault Reimer sucked for 2 years. You are trying to use 8 games to overturn 2 years... How do you not see the flaw in this?

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
For someone who says they aren't blinded by "what have you done for me now" syndrome it's funny to see how Reimer leading the leafs to the playoffs with the 8th best save percentage in the league during the 2012-2013 season seems to have no barring on your opinion. Is Bernier the better goalie? Yeah maybe, but it's not as clear cut as you make it seem.

Seriously? I'm comparing them from the time they have been on the same team. Bernier wasn't here in 2012.

Also, Riemer did not lead us to the playoffs, give me a ****ing break. Phil Kessel was top 5 in points and Nazem Kadri single handily won us like 12-15 games that shortened season.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Seriously? I'm comparing them from the time they have been on the same team. Bernier wasn't here in 2012.

Also, Riemer did not lead us to the playoffs, give me a ****ing break. Phil Kessel was top 5 in points and Nazem Kadri single handily won us like 12-15 games that shortened season.

Kadri won 12-15 games himself?:laugh:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Defensive coverage was bad, too. In the GDT thread, only one guy talked about how Zucc was able to go straight to the goal untouched from the top of the face-off circle in and collect the rebound. That's on Bernier but that coverage was atrocious. I thought that was supposed to improve with the new coaching.

I asked that question :laugh: .. Rielly or Kadri missed picking him up... Someone was slow to it.

Oh well.

The pain Babcock eluded to this past summer is now here.

It is what it is

Bad pinch from Hunwick I thought and Leaf players were behind the puck when Rangers went the other way.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
I was a bit excited when we first obtained Bernier. He is proving himself to be a backup goalie. He is still young and can turn his game around but he just doesn't seem to have 'it'......

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

Teams often play their other goalie on the second of back to back games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad