Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3: Tank Commander Bernier Back in Action

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
The biggest issue we had with Reimer the last few years were the bad goals he lets in.

The team would deflate in front of him...

Babs has fixed that and Reimer is a better leader than Bernier.

I think Bernier is a good goalie but so is Reimer.

Prior to this season Reims had a career Sv% that was only .002 worse than Bernier.

That's 2 extra goals on every 1,000 shots.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I just walked away when that goal went in. Wasn't mad, just kind of like **** this, I'm done. Didn't even watch the last 50 seconds.:laugh:

Bernier's a better goalie than he's shown (and I still believe, the better of the 2). He's also been nothing short of mediocre this year. You don't get long to figure out your issues at the NHL level and his clock is running on shortened time. I saw somebody suggest he needs to be sent down to the AHL on a conditioning stint. It might not be a half bad idea.

I think we've turned a corner though. We're still not going to be the high-scoring team of years past, but the goal-scoring is starting to come around, and that's a positive. That combined with Babcock's system and half-decent goaltending... I'm not sure we're half-bad of a team. Not a playoff team, but I got this feeling we're not going to be in the Austin Matthews race at season's end (a lucky lottery ball aside).

Also Bozak sucks.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I just walked away when that goal went in. Wasn't mad, just kind of like **** this, I'm done. Didn't even watch the last 50 seconds.:laugh:

Bernier's a better goalie than he's shown (and I still believe, the better of the 2). He's also been nothing short of mediocre this year. You don't get long to figure out your issues at the NHL level and his clock is running on shortened time. I saw somebody suggest he needs to be sent down to the AHL on a conditioning stint. It might not be a half bad idea.

I think we've turned a corner though. We're still not going to be the high-scoring team of years past, but the goal-scoring is starting to come around, and that's a positive. That combined with Babcock's system and half-decent goaltending... I'm not sure we're half-bad of a team. Not a playoff team, but I got this feeling we're not going to be in the Austin Matthews race at season's end (a lucky lottery ball aside).

Also Bozak sucks.
they both are mediocre at best ,,,,,the 2 biggest needs the burke .nonins era failed to do was adresss soft goaltending and and stud center ,we got 2 potenyially stud centers coming ,well maybe ,and lou lam is looking for a goalie ,UNACEPTABLE bernier ,but i bet he has the most stinky goals in the NHL in the past few years
im sure there is a chart on who gave up the most 140 ft goals in the NHL past dfew years
BERNIER !!!!

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
they both are mediocre at best ,,,,,the 2 biggest needs the burke .nonins era failed to do was adresss soft goaltending and and stud center ,we got 2 potenyially stud centers coming ,well maybe ,and lou lam is looking for a goalie ,UNACEPTABLE bernier ,but i bet he has the most stinky goals in the NHL in the past few years
im sure there is a chart on who gave up the most 140 ft goals in the NHL past dfew years
BERNIER !!!!

Can you quantify how much worse a goal from the red line is when evaluating a goalie's performance. How much worse is a .915 goalie that's let in 2 goals from center than a .915 goalie that hasn't? Would you replace him with a 914 goalie that saved everything from the wrong side of the blueline? How about a .910 goalie that did that?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Can you quantify how much worse a goal from the red line is when evaluating a goalie's performance. How much worse is a .915 goalie that's let in 2 goals from center than a .915 goalie that hasn't? Would you replace him with a 914 goalie that saved everything from the wrong side of the blueline? How about a .910 goalie that did that?

Bad goals at bad times bernier.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
what are people complaining about? Fans want goals scored on a rate like the 80s when that type of goaltending performance was seen night in and night out... and now when they get it, they complain about that as well. go figure. make up your mind. you want stellar goaltending and 2-1 games or lousy goaltending and 4-3 games?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
In the off-season the Leafs squeezed Bernier in the contract negotiations because they knew he wasn't worth a big contract. The contract he got was to retain him as an asset in the short term. That was meant as a challenge to Bernier to be better, more consistent, more professional, more prepared, more practised. To date he's responded by regressing below levels of the past.

A related treatment was given to Kadri in the off season. Although I'd hardly say he has stunk out the joint, he has 0 goals and 2 assists in the Leafs' past 10 games. That's unacceptable for someone who leads Leafs' centers in ice time and PP ice time.

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Guys busted there ass last night , unfortunately Bernier let them down . You'd think after his layoff he could keep his head in the game for the entire 60 mins at least for his first game back but even that proved to much for him . Bernier is mentally soft and has been his entire career , every goalie lets in soft/fluke goals and gives up some bad rebounds but the amount of times he does this is unacceptable .

hey but at least he looks calm and composed with excellent technique while he's letting in muffins , so I guess that's enough for some to have faith that he can get his **** together

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
what are people complaining about? Fans want goals scored on a rate like the 80s when that type of goaltending performance was seen night in and night out... and now when they get it, they complain about that as well. go figure. make up your mind. you want stellar goaltending and 2-1 games or lousy goaltending and 4-3 games?

That's a completely phony argument.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Statistics are good and all but you need to compare it to a baseline. We get no context when you simple cite a stat.

I just cited Millen's comments. His opinion was that he was getting perimeter shots.

If Kadri and the Top NHL shooters are shooting from the same place, and Kadri is getting more shots than them... then we are left with 2 possible reasons for his 1 goal performance.

1). A mystical universal unseen force that has conspired against him in game after game ... Otherwise called luck

Or

2). Skill

In many ways, this may be a really unfair position for 43. He's been told they expect him to be elite.

Maybe that's just not his potential. Maybe he's a good 2C and that's that.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm not sure what exactly triggered the downward spiral in Bernier's career since last season, but he has just been brutal.

We should have won last night.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
I just cited Millen's comments. His opinion was that he was getting perimeter shots.

If Kadri and the Top NHL shooters are shooting from the same place, and Kadri is getting more shots than them... then we are left with 2 possible reasons for his 1 goal performance.

1). A mystical universal unseen force that has conspired against him in game after game ... Otherwise called luck

Or

2). Skill

In many ways, this may be a really unfair position for 43. He's been told they expect him to be elite.

Maybe that's just not his potential. Maybe he's a good 2C and that's that.

I think they'll start to go in. I honestly think its more of, now that he has an enlarged role, and a coach that actually believes in him, in due time the shots will go in, or he's going to create better shots for himself. I'd say him getting a lot of shots is a lot better than him being absent every night.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Bernier is not getting the Leafs a first or second the way he is playing. Sadly, he's a shadow of his former self. It's painful to watch. Leafs should do themselves and the player a favour and move him.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Bernier is not getting the Leafs a first or second the way he is playing. Sadly, he's a shadow of his former self. It's painful to watch. Leafs should do themselves and the player a favour and move him.

For what? Do you want to retain? Who would have interest?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I think that if Babs can get the team to hang around with a team that is supposed to go on a deep run in the playoffs, then there is progress being made.

I also think that this Rangers team is a couple pieces away from the deep run. They need something more upfront to compete.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The biggest issue we had with Reimer the last few years were the bad goals he lets in.

The team would deflate in front of him...

Babs has fixed that and Reimer is a better leader than Bernier.

I think Bernier is a good goalie but so is Reimer.

Prior to this season Reims had a career Sv% that was only .002 worse than Bernier.

That's 2 extra goals on every 1,000 shots.

I think the problem was too many fans OVERATED Bernier and continued to say "Bernier is the better goalie, the team plays better in front of him, blah, blah, blah. The management made the mistake of even signing Bernier after the 2013 season, Reimer just took the Leafs to the playoffs, performed well and was the obvious choice for the starter and they STILL sign a goalie, which must have been an insult and affected Reimer's play.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011

There's just no market for him. Every team has a goalie for much cheaper in their system who they believe is at least of equal or better quality at a younger age. You can make a case for Reimer to be moved somewhere because his contract is up at the end of the year and a team can sign him for less. Bernier on the other hand, you're stuck with 4 million for the next two years.

YOYOTCROSTER*

The only person who overrated Bernier was Nonis and the old Leaf management group. Maybe a group of Leaf fans too. Sutter never valued him as a quality nhl starter. He always said his problem is his puck focus. Even Bernier is interviewed in 2011 about his puck focus issues and he says on record it is all "between his ears". I concur. Bernier is a strong goalie with respect to position and technique. He is also a pretty good athlete. His issue has always been the stinker goals (due to his small stature which he can't correct) and his softy goals (due to his loss of puck focus which now that its been with 2 teams maybe he can't correct either).

Fans on here cite his 2013/4 season as elite. Well I think that was the year of the Carolina icing goal, the Colorado goal line stinker from hash marks on boards, The Montreal softy from outside blue line, etc. Those 3 goals cost the Leafs those wins in games where Leafs outplayed their opponents.

Also when you look up his overall season long numbers on nhl.com that year he was
22nd in save percentage
46th in GAA
16th in games played
16th in wins
These numbers are not elite. Yes he had a decent overall year (1 year) but he was NEVER elite.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Thought you guys played a stellar game; unfortunate that Bernier really sank you in the end. Still a solid streak over the last several games for TOR, DAL / NSH / VAN and an almost W against the hottest team in the NHL by a country mile.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
There's just no market for him. Every team has a goalie for much cheaper in their system who they believe is at least of equal or better quality at a younger age. You can make a case for Reimer to be moved somewhere because his contract is up at the end of the year and a team can sign him for less. Bernier on the other hand, you're stuck with 4 million for the next two years.

this is exactly why i never liked the trade.

There are a small handful of dependably very good nhl goalies that are worth paying for. Most of the goalies being paid big bucks can't even be depended on to be above average.

unless you have one of those few great goalies it's a much better idea to just keep giving yourself as many cheap and flexible options as possible. You never know where your next Anderson or Hammond will come from.

The leafs had 2 cheap goalies with very good track records giving them excellent goaltending in reimer and scrivens. They had a couple more interesting options in Rynnas and the rapper. Another one in Sparks. They should have just stuck with the cheap flexible options they had and upgraded elsewhere. There are always other cheap interesting options to try if they failed.

Heck, look around the league and see how many current starting goalies were picked up for next to nothing.

If we could stop giving up assets and money for other teams shelterr midget backup goalies with mediocre stats, that would be great.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

It was a funny point, especially when he used last nights game to show it.

First shot comes up and he jitters "well this is a good chance/shot" then flashes to the next shot and says he needs to shoot through screens/traffic while the clip is showing Kadri shoot through a Leafs players legs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad