Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3 in OT .. Marner sets the franchise record with 19 games recording a point

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
I hear ya! The team has the third best win percentage in the league behind only Boston and NJ and people in here make it sound like we’re struggling. We haven’t had a regulation loss in the last 11 games. Most of these have been without our top 3 dman. This is a damn good team with very little flaws (3on3 is one of them but that won’t impact on how they’ll play in the playoffs).
Realized a long time ago a decent chunk of the people who frequent these boards are just miserable and negative, and use this place as an outlet for it. I refuse to believe these people torture those around them with this same kind of negativity because it's enough to make someone snap.

Leaf could win the cup and some Leaf fans would still be negative about it.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
All of it.

Have we had a shootout this year? Why are you giving up on a game with 2 minutes left? Did you mean in regulation?
I don't mean to speak for anyone but I think what this poster who is usually very insightful meant was; why is Keefe running out our top 6 with a few minutes left in a tie game when it would be better suited to have them fresh legged to start OT.

A lot of the problems seem to be that when starting overtime they're low on gas and it has led to disastrous results so far. For the pts % and for my roll. Been a few disastrous nights with compeletely what the devil level of play where the Leafs could have easily had 2 points but for lack of thinking ahead. I think it has to do a bit with Keefe and a bit due to lack of depth. We need another big piece or two. A big time winger and a stud dman to put us over the top.

Maybe I'm wrong.

🙄☕🚀

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't mean to speak for anyone but I think what this poster who is usually very insightful meant was; why is Keefe running out our top 6 with a few minutes left in a tie game when it would be better suited to have them fresh legged to start OT.

A lot of the problems seem to be that when starting overtime they're low on gas and it has led to disastrous results so far. For the pts % and for my roll. Been a few disastrous nights with compeletely what the devil level of play where the Leafs could have easily had 2 points but for lack of thinking ahead. I think it has to do a bit with Keefe and a bit due to lack of depth. We need another big piece or two. A big time winger and a stud dman to put us over the top.

Maybe I'm wrong.

🙄☕🚀

Perhaps Keefe is trying to win the game in regulation ??

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You can play a good game, but in overtime you just can't be unprepared.

They are as inept in overtime as they are good in regulation time.

Just incredible how unprepared they are for overtime.

This isn't negative or an insult, it is backed by results.

This can change, but anyone suggesting it isn't a problem ...

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
All of it.

Have we had a shootout this year? Why are you giving up on a game with 2 minutes left? Did you mean in regulation?

I'm not giving up on it. I'm saying why have the Matthews line out with 2 minutes left, tiring him out then send him out to start OT? That makes zero sense to me. If you're playing the last 2 minutes to win, fine but then shouldn't it be Tavares and Marner to start OT instead of Matthews? I haven't watched as carefully but I'm pretty sure he does the same with Rielly.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You can play a good game, but in overtime you just can't be unprepared.

They are as inept in overtime as they are good in regulation time.

Just incredible how unprepared they are for overtime.

This isn't negative or an insult, it is backed by results.

This can change, but anyone suggesting it isn't a problem ...

When the real hockey begins in the playoffs, then losses in OT become even more concerning and defining of a team's season.

The regular season is supposed to be warm up and preparation for the playoffs and if you struggle with OT even 3v3 then you likely will carry that forward in the playoffs.

Last year the Leafs lost game #6 to TB 4-3 in OT setting the stage for losing game #7 and the series.

1670253614591.png

The previous year the Leafs were up 3-1 vs Montreal in the series and then lost game #5 at 4-3 in OT and then again 3-2 in OT in game #6 setting up a game #7 series loss.

1670253507394.png

That puts the Leafs record at 0-5 in elimination potential games for the Leafs fueled by OT losses over the past 2 playoff seasons.

Toronto leading the league with a record of 1-6 in OT should be something most people/fans and mainly management should see as a BIG problem and alarming that needs addressing. Its not magically going to fix itself when it becomes mission critical come playoff time.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I learned from my dad whether playing, coaching or watching as a fan to always sleep on ur comments after a game .. this game I did 2 night sleeps on it as i was still upset yesterday .. today I think i am over it BUT this game management by NHL refs still eats me alive .. i was always taught in a even steven game da refs should let da players decide da game on da ice .. but here we are in 2022 in tampa and again we get massive game mgmt from da refs .. you have a 2-1 game going into 3rd and period starts off with 3 straight penalties to Leafs to give tampa da lead 3-2 then refs give tampa 1 to even up score at 3-3 .. then da refs put da whistle away and Stammer hits our tender in head and JT gets bother hooked and held on same play .. 3 clear penalties in strict sense of rules yet ZERO penalties ..

In da end game was 3-3 which was probably where game should have ended either way but for me EITHER call everything OR call nothing .. this picking and choosing penalties for game mgmt is complete dog sh*t ..

OT was typical Leafs .. Keefer try something/someone new man .. drop da drop pass deal .. Murray oh well he let in a stinker (played well to that point) Matty with da drop pass (plyed well to that point) .. it will turn around da bad luck in OT .. it was a coin flip game so could have gone either way .. GLG

Reactions: Northernguy10

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
When the real hockey begins in the playoffs, then losses in OT become even more concerning and defining of a team's season.
Yes, but playoff 5v5 OT is completely different from regular season 3v3 OT.
And while it's true that we've gone 0-3 in OT over the past two playoffs, when you outshoot your opponent 22-8, it's pretty clear where the issue was.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Realized a long time ago a decent chunk of the people who frequent these boards are just miserable and negative, and use this place as an outlet for it. I refuse to believe these people torture those around them with this same kind of negativity because it's enough to make someone snap.

Leaf could win the cup and some Leaf fans would still be negative about it.
Yep, that giveaway in the 2nd period could've led to a shot on net, they can't do that and keep winning cups!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
And while it's true that we've gone 0-3 in OT over the past two playoffs, when you outshoot your opponent 22-8, it's pretty clear where the issue was.
The refs? :sarcasm:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
What’s the pessimistic part?

WhAt’S tHe PeSsImIsTiC pArT?¿

The regular season is supposed to be warm up and preparation for the playoffs and if you struggle with OT even 3v3 then you likely will carry that forward in the playoffs.

Last year the Leafs lost game #6 to TB 4-3 in OT setting the stage for losing game #7 and the series.

View attachment 617243

The previous year the Leafs were up 3-1 vs Montreal in the series and then lost game #5 at 4-3 in OT and then again 3-2 in OT in game #6 setting up a game #7 series loss.

View attachment 617242

That puts the Leafs record at 0-5 in elimination potential games for the Leafs fueled by OT losses over the past 2 playoff seasons.

Toronto leading the league with a record of 1-6 in OT should be something most people/fans and mainly management should see as a BIG problem and alarming that needs addressing. It’s not magically going to fix itself when it becomes mission critical come playoff time.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Which is why the Leafs need to target a bona fide scorer this year.

Ridiculous watching them outplay their opponets the past two years and not be able to put the puck in.

Reactions: stickty111

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

So are your implying the pretty clear issue was Leafs goaltending in OT?

So how did you like the Murray goal he let in OT to Tampa for the loss?

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
Lame ending. Refs are firmly in Tampa’s pocket. Dread another series against them knowing the types of calls they get with their diving antics that never get called.
Yes firmly :DD Clearly that's why we lost, clearly we only lose when the refs are paid off. Officiating balances out at the end of the year, early on goal reviews seemed to go against us, now we got them going our way. Why do players always push players into their own goalie and then go after them for knocking into the goalie?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm not giving up on it. I'm saying why have the Matthews line out with 2 minutes left, tiring him out then send him out to start OT? That makes zero sense to me. If you're playing the last 2 minutes to win, fine but then shouldn't it be Tavares and Marner to start OT instead of Matthews? I haven't watched as carefully but I'm pretty sure he does the same with Rielly.
Theres typically ample time to regroup between OT and regulation, especially when they arent finishing the game.

Id much rather play our best options through the end of regulation and judge who starts based on play and how they ended off rather than bench Matthews for the final 2 in hopes you get to play 3on3.

If hes fried, I agree we should skip Matthews, but most players are going to be ready to start OT even if they finished the end of regulations. Especially star players.

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
I learned from my dad whether playing, coaching or watching as a fan to always sleep on ur comments after a game .. this game I did 2 night sleeps on it as i was still upset yesterday .. today I think i am over it BUT this game management by NHL refs still eats me alive .. i was always taught in a even steven game da refs should let da players decide da game on da ice .. but here we are in 2022 in tampa and again we get massive game mgmt from da refs .. you have a 2-1 game going into 3rd and period starts off with 3 straight penalties to Leafs to give tampa da lead 3-2 then refs give tampa 1 to even up score at 3-3 .. then da refs put da whistle away and Stammer hits our tender in head and JT gets bother hooked and held on same play .. 3 clear penalties in strict sense of rules yet ZERO penalties ..

In da end game was 3-3 which was probably where game should have ended either way but for me EITHER call everything OR call nothing .. this picking and choosing penalties for game mgmt is complete dog sh*t ..

OT was typical Leafs .. Keefer try something/someone new man .. drop da drop pass deal .. Murray oh well he let in a stinker (played well to that point) Matty with da drop pass (plyed well to that point) .. it will turn around da bad luck in OT .. it was a coin flip game so could have gone either way .. GLG
Maybe it's ref management, or maybe coincidence that the team with the PP scores a goal, especially when you have the 2 top teams in powerplay. Tell me which penalty was NOT a penalty? So are we complaining only about the calls against Toronto, or both? Let me tell you something, there is no game management, refs don't sit there looking to GIVE a certain team a PP....why is Marner putting his stick in Kucherovs skates to start the 3rd period, he wasn't ready for the face off and was lazy so he took a chance.....that's just an example. Kerfoot puts his stick in the players skate and falls, why do you have your stick in their skates.....move your feet, get position, reaching is the biggest sign of laziness and impatience. But hey, it's the refs fault!! They got to do better when it matters, OT is a big mental battle, always thinking, especially 3v3

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Maybe it's ref management, or maybe coincidence that the team with the PP scores a goal, especially when you have the 2 top teams in powerplay. Tell me which penalty was NOT a penalty? So are we complaining only about the calls against Toronto, or both? Let me tell you something, there is no game management, refs don't sit there looking to GIVE a certain team a PP....why is Marner putting his stick in Kucherovs skates to start the 3rd period, he wasn't ready for the face off and was lazy so he took a chance.....that's just an example. Kerfoot puts his stick in the players skate and falls, why do you have your stick in their skates.....move your feet, get position, reaching is the biggest sign of laziness and impatience. But hey, it's the refs fault!! They got to do better when it matters, OT is a big mental battle, always thinking, especially 3v3
In every single hockey game played ever at any competitive level there are hundreds of rules infractions over 60 minutes .. if refs called every one there would be no one left on bench .. so they don't .. and each ref is a little different in how they call a game .. anyone who has played da game knows this already .. da nhl or ahl or echl or ohl are never going to call every penalty as people can't stand to watch that product .. it would be constant penalties .. so it becomes plays which refs deem to be penalties and direction from above changes year to year which ones to call .. past 2 years it is stick infractions with a players hand on stick with da puck .. but it is flavor of da day stuff .. I couldn't give a rats *ss how they do it but don't start calling penalties and then STOP with 7 minutes left in game .. guys on ice have no idear what is going on .. guys are always asking refs what are you calling today so they know what to do and what not to do .. and over time you learn individual refs styles .. but WHY did Stammer not get interference for running Murray? WHY did Heddy get to hook JT on a scoring chance? Why did Heddy get to take his hand off his stick and grab JT's waist on same chance when hook did not work for him? .. my friend da answer is KNOWN .. da ref had made a decision after 3 3 goal to stop

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Which is why the Leafs need to target a bona fide scorer this year.
Ridiculous watching them outplay their opponets the past two years and not be able to put the puck in.
It's why we targeted two new goalies this year. The puck isn't going to go in sometimes when you're facing the likes of Price and Vasilevsky. Sometimes you need a save.
So are your implying the pretty clear issue was Leafs goaltending in OT?
So how did you like the Murray goal he let in OT to Tampa for the loss?
It's been the biggest issue, for sure.
The OT goal was not good, but that shouldn't overshadow how well he's played this year, and his history of stepping up in big moments in the playoffs. 3v3 OTs are really quite irrelevant.

Reactions: kb

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
In every single hockey game played ever at any competitive level there are hundreds of rules infractions over 60 minutes .. if refs called every one there would be no one left on bench .. so they don't .. and each ref is a little different in how they call a game .. anyone who has played da game knows this already .. da nhl or ahl or echl or ohl are never going to call every penalty as people can't stand to watch that product .. it would be constant penalties .. so it becomes plays which refs deem to be penalties and direction from above changes year to year which ones to call .. past 2 years it is stick infractions with a players hand on stick with da puck .. but it is flavor of da day stuff .. I couldn't give a rats *ss how they do it but don't start calling penalties and then STOP with 7 minutes left in game .. guys on ice have no idear what is going on .. guys are always asking refs what are you calling today so they know what to do and what not to do .. and over time you learn individual refs styles .. but WHY did Stammer not get interference for running Murray? WHY did Heddy get to hook JT on a scoring chance? Why did Heddy get to take his hand off his stick and grab JT's waist on same chance when hook did not work for him? .. my friend da answer is KNOWN .. da ref had made a decision after 3 3 goal to stop

You must have alot of time on your hands to physically 'watch every single hockey game played ever at any competitive level'....you lost me when you started with this. The game has become so fast and quick it's very difficult to officiate, but I'm pretty sure they don't sit there and favour a team, it may look like it from a fans point of view. There will always be obvious missed calls, or obvious calls that weren't a penalty, referees will make mistakes, and some of them may own up to it if they are aware with a make up call....but this is not something that happens every game. The players need to officiate themselves, know the situation and know when not to put yourself in a vulnerable position. Blaming the refs is immature, play the game the right way. Especially now with a 2 ref system, hard to favor one team, you would need both refs to hone in on that. But you have watched every game EVER, so my bad...you would know!

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig