Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
It wasn't a fight in the neutral zone. It was 2 players committing infractions against each other that should have caused the play to be blown dead before Boston scored.

Ignoring those infractions by both players favored Boston because they scored. That goal should have been waived off !!!
I couldn't understand why Keefe wasn't arguing or yelling at the refs, how are they going to learn if you keep quiet when the ref screws up. If I was the ref and no one argued I would think that I made the right call.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
most do go.

I stand by that comment.

Guess Bowen, and others do as well. Just Rob Brown doesn't. Go Rob Brown!
Are you that dense? I never even said anything about Joe Bowen, I'm responding to you saying that most of the 19K people that go to playoff games only go because it's the popular thing to do. Try to keep up.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
What's most interesting about the highest paid core 4 isn't them playing badly in the playoffs, it's them playing badly on the PP in the playoffs.

People keep talking about general playoff Hockey how it gets slower, chippier and harder to play, but how in the world does that effect a 5 on 4?

All 4 of them are just head cases, Matthews is supposed to be the best in the world but is 1/3 so far with big games, the rest of them follow suit. Fun fact I posed earlier; Rempe+Reaves have the same amount of points+goals as Marner+Tavares (and Nylander)

The crowd thing is absolutely top tier Toronto hilarious, the most overpaid losers need a better crowd to win ROFL

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
When it comes to the PP, at what point do you make the change to go with 2 balance units?

Give some different looks, get more touches to different guys.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
He only owns one team, this happens league wide in the playoffs, watch some other games.
Chairman of the NHL board !!! He is highly influential in every aspect of the NHL, including how the Refs and the DoPS operate. Bettman knows he will keep his job by catering to him. Bettman IS NOT afraid of MLSE, Bell, nor Rogers !!!

I watch many, many, many, NHL games. The game management and fairness are a real problem for every team. However, IMHO, it's much worse, and calculated, in games involving our Leafs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Chairman of the NHL board !!! He is highly influential in every aspect of the NHL, including how the Refs and the DoPS operate. Bettman knows he will keep his job by catering to him. Bettman IS NOT afraid of MLSE, Bell, nor Rogers !!!

I watch many, many, many, NHL games. The game management and fairness are a real problem for every team. However, IMHO, it's much worse, and calculated, in games involving our Leafs.
Of course it seems that way, you're a Leaf fan.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
The 'series is over' crowd are so boring and predictable. Acting like it's over three games in is just exhausting especially considering they probably said the same thing after Game 1, but then not after Game 2.

People also need to remember that the Leafs were down 3-1 in 2018 and came back to force Game 7, and were up 3-2 in 2019 and still lost it. The series isn't over at all, despite how much that specific subset of our fanbase wants it to be.
I don't think the series is over, but I have a hard time envisioning a realistic path to victory the way things are going right now.

Sammy is good for one free goal against per game, our special teams are atrocious at the moment and the top line is the only one producing anything offensively.

I don't think the special teams will continue to be this bad(the PK anyway), but I just don't see Samsonov giving us the goaltending required in a series where goals are at a premium right now.

We really need Marner to get going and for Willy to come back and make an impact.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
It's the Boston infractions THAT WEREN'T called that lead directly to 2 Boston goals that I had a problem with.

As a retired hockey coach, I want the rules fully enforced no matter what or who commits those infractions. Boston got away with quite a few infractions last night. At least 2 Boston goals were scored right after those infractions were missed/ignored by the Refs.

A big part of minor hockey that is emphasized is 'fair play.' Fair play is not just for the coaches and players, it also involves how the rules are enforced by the Refs.

Game management should not be an NHL thing with the Refs. The Refs SHOULD NOT be selective of which infractions to enforce, and when. The number of penalties already called should not be a factor. An infraction is an infraction at any time during a game !!!

The 2 referee system was supposed to solve penalties being missed. IMHO, the same amount of penalties are still being 'missed' with the 2 referee system.

Now, our Leafs having 3 or more power plays would likely have been mute giving how bad their PP has been. However, infractions not called still favored the Bruins when they scored 2 goals right after those infractions were missed/ignored !!!

Thats the NHL.....only professional sport that changes rules in playoffs. And the worst part is ...it changes the rules to benefit the goons. Not the Stars

Reactions: OddyOh

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Are you that dense? I never even said anything about Joe Bowen, I'm responding to you saying that most of the 19K people that go to playoff games only go because it's the popular thing to do. Try to keep up.
it's ok robby, everyone that goes is a fan.

they all are fans. don't worry. you can feel better about life. please don't be upset. they all love the leafies.

sure, they don't act like it, and people call out the fans (daily, weekly, monthly, yearly). but only us "dense" folks see it.

little robbies of the world do not.

enjoy.

at least some of us can look in a mirror and see what everyone else can see. must come with being dense.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
We were 1 goal shy of being highest scoring team in the regular season, but can't break through in the playoffs. A lot of that has to be on the cocoaching.
The thing is, we've seen them wilt away when they had a big meanie coach in Babcock too. At some point we've gotta accept that the core 4 are losers thru and thru. Keefe is a dogshit coach, but replacing him with Cooper wouldn't magically make the core 4 grow a heart

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I couldn't understand why Keefe wasn't arguing or yelling at the refs, how are they going to learn if you keep quiet when the ref screws up. If I was the ref and no one argued I would think that I made the right call.
Montgomery made his thoughts known. Since his ejection, Keefe has probably been instructed by Shanahan to hold his tongue.

Shanahan and MLSE are not working for us the fans of the TML.

JMHO.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
it's ok robby, everyone that goes is a fan.

they all are fans. don't worry. you can feel better about life. please don't be upset. they all love the leafies.

sure, they don't act like it, and people call out the fans (daily, weekly, monthly, yearly). but only us "dense" folks see it.

little robbies of the world do not.

enjoy.

at least some of us can look in a mirror and see what everyone else can see. must come with being dense.
You come off as incredibly immature. I'm sure you don't care or see it that way, but just a free piece of advice.

All I said was that it's incredibly naive to suggest that most of the 19,000 people at a playoff game are only there because it's the 'thing to do' and not because they are fans. I never said the crowd was the best in the league or didn't have room for improvement or that Joe Bowen was wrong.

I think he was talking about people he knows/works with
Maybe, but in the entire back and forth with him he has yet to clarify that to me. Instead he's just going on with the 'don't be upset' nonsense like a teenager.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Thats the NHL.....only professional sport that changes rules in playoffs. And the worst part is ...it changes the rules to benefit the goons. Not the Stars
And yet, watch how quickly they'll penalize Reaves if he goons it up one iota. Remember how fast they suspended Kadri when he was a Leaf and he supposedly gooned it up against the Bruins in the playoffs.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
You come off as incredibly immature. I'm sure you don't care or see it that way, but just a free piece of advice.

All I said was that it's incredibly naive to suggest that most of the 19,000 people at a playoff game are only there because it's the 'thing to do' and not because they are fans. I never said the crowd was the best in the league or didn't have room for improvement or that Joe Bowen was wrong.

Maybe, but in the entire back and forth with him he has yet to clarify that to me. Instead he's just going on with the 'don't be upset' nonsense like a teenager.
It has nothing to do with who anyone works with.

It's the perception of the arena by everyone who has their eyes open. Bowen said the team wants to call out the fanbase, but they are professional - so he is going to do it.

Whether fans want to believe it (those who attend, those who don't), it's real.

It isn't going to change. Definitely not.

But not recognizing it - that's on the individual for not opening their eyes.

Someone like Bowen saying it is SUPPOSED to remove the robbie brown comments like "oh ya, it's only you who feels like it, it really isn't like that".

Supposed to.....but clearly didn't.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Yeah it's a conspiracy against the Leafs. 🙄. I really do think most of you don't watch any other playoff hockey. Yeah it's the refs fault why they can't score in the playoffs or their power play sucks.
Despite how bad our Leafs power play is, an infraction should be called an infraction at all times during a game.

At least 2 Boston goals were scored right after infractions were not called.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Bottom line folks we have too many suits in lower deck due to ridiculously high cost of da ticket .. da lower deck has gone almost exclusively corporate .. da noise from upper deck is fine where most individuals sit .. although even lower rows of upper deck where I sit are going corporate now too .. as building gets more and more expensive this trend will continue and you will get more corporates who go to these events for free and are there more for da EVENT than a hockey game .. this is da reality .. and it is only getting worse

As for da game .. Bruins were faster team and slightly better team .. they got what they disserved .. sure da reffing was bad but it was bad both ways .. bottom line we won 1st line marginally and 4th line marginally .. we got outplayed again by 2ndd and 3rd lines .. Matty did not elevate to 2 goals per game and Sammy did not elevate to his game 2 level .. if those 2 guys don't do it we are doomed especially without Willy creating a 3rd line .. Matty had 2 chances and did not bury .. Sammy should have had 1st goal .. 2nd and 3rd goals MAYBE Roy/Brodeur/Bobbo/Vasi saves but we don't have ELITE tending but that 1st goal can't occur and Matty has to bury 1 of his chances .. if those 2 events occur maybe we win a game we didn't deserve to win

Our D with Lily was again an issue .. bottom line Keefer Lily is killing this team this series .. get him out ASAP and insert Gio .. Gio is blood and guts and blood and guts is what we need even if he has slowed down .. Brodie is washed and it will be same issue as Lily (too weak on puck and poor defensively)

Lastly JT needs to move to 3rd line with Mitch .. too slow and too weak .. we need Willy and McMann back on 2nd line with Holmberg and then we will have another line who can tilt da ice .. Keefer do what is in TEAMS best interest and da boys will respond .. even JT will improve on 3rd line .. it is not too late to tweak things for da better .. GLG .. otherwise it is a pink slip for you at year end .. sorry but that's da truth

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
It has nothing to do with who anyone works with.

It's the perception of the arena by everyone who has their eyes open. Bowen said the team wants to call out the fanbase, but they are professional - so he is going to do it.

Whether fans want to believe it (those who attend, those who don't), it's real.

It isn't going to change. Definitely not.

But not recognizing it - that's on the individual for not opening their eyes.

Someone like Bowen saying it is SUPPOSED to remove the robbie brown comments like "oh ya, it's only you who feels like it, it really isn't like that".

Supposed to.....but clearly didn't.
You still don't get it. All I am saying is that suggesting that the majority of the people there don't care about the team, or aren't fans, or are just there because it's the 'thing to do' (which is what you said), is naive and dumb. I never said the home crowd was great or that Bowen was wrong. Someone could be a very knowledgable and dedicated Leafs fan and still be quiet and passive at a playoff game. Joe Bowen also said nothing about people there not being fans and just wanting to be seen, which is what you are suggesting. Again, try to keep up.

I don't have the time to go back and forth with someone that doesn't actually digest what the person they are disagreeing with is saying, so enjoy your day.

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad