Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-1

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Rielly has been shooting on the PP since he got back, what are you talking about? The issue is his shots suck and get blocked most of the time. But even if he had an amazing clapper or better aiming for tips, the point shot should be the last resort on PP1.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Feel for the folks that actually spent money to watch the Leafs in Vancouver

FqbRoctagAE8nC2
Maybe I should start a go fund me account for next year. Would save me some money, lol.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I don't think so. It is a sense of entitlement that is fostered by the GM and allowed by the coach that is the issue. Resentment eventually sets in for rest of the players if team results are not there.
You could be dead nuts right on. The first game ROR came AM showed disinterest. Adding another leader type may feel insulting to him....get the F over it for $11m

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Let's look at the positives:
- No injuries
- Vancouver finally won a Stanley cup

Keefe needs to be better. Dubas is going to drown with Keefe clutching his ankle.

Edit: I missed the ROR injury, this team is cursed.
See these "Stanley Cup" comments all the time. Care to explain how beating the Leafs is like winning a Stanley Cup? More like it solidifies you as a bottom dweller.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Rielly has been shooting on the PP since he got back, what are you talking about? The issue is his shots suck and get blocked most of the time. But even if he had an amazing clapper or better aiming for tips, the point shot should be the last resort on PP1.
No matter who we have back there this is the case. It's not a Rielly issue. People begged for Sandin to get PP1 time and he did and the same shit and our PP never got better, in fact it may have got worse. Teams clog the slot so no matter who we have at the point the shots will most likely get blocked because they know Marner and Matthews are the main focus on the PP and everyone else is just there to support.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
The problem with the pp is predictability, of Matthews and marner

Matthews has the cannon (in general), but cannot distribute the puck
Marner can distribute the puck, but cannot shoot reliably on the pp

Players like: McD, Drai, Kuch, Mack, etc.. all are two way threats, none of our guys are at that level so it’s much easier to contain them

Rielly is a problem, but he isn’t THE problem

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The problem with the pp is predictability, of Matthews and marner

Matthews has the cannon (in general), but cannot distribute the puck
Marner can distribute the puck, but cannot shoot reliably on the pp

Players like: McD, Drai, Kuch, Mack, etc.. all are two way threats, none of our guys are at that level so it’s much easier to contain them

Rielly is a problem, but he isn’t THE problem
That definitely does sound like a fair criticism, but it also applies to Ovechkin and Backstrom yet they've been able to make it work. I think it's a mentality difference where other star players like to run up the score and pad their stats, whereas the Leafs don't have much of a killer instinct

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
This team is not beating Tampa in the first round. Not a f****** chance!!

Anybody want to account bet me on this or any other bet? Step Up
Tampa is not looking good now, actually they are looking really bad. They got smoked by Buffalo, a LOT worse than the 5-3 score. The same Buffalo team that got smoked by the Bruins and the Leafs in the past couple of weeks.
And half way through the first period today, Tampa is getting outshot 9-2 through 10 minutes and already losing. Can they turn it around? I suppose so, but no matter how bad a Leafs loss looks, they never looked as bad over a couple week stretch as Tampa looks right now.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
That definitely does sound like a fair criticism, but it also applies to Ovechkin and Backstrom yet they've been able to make it work. I think it's a mentality difference where other star players like to run up the score and pad their stats, whereas the Leafs don't have much of a killer instinct

Has a lot to do with the powerplay time they get as well. Matthews has more goals on the powerplay than Ovechkin the past 3 seasons with over 220 minutes less on the powerplay.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Has a lot to do with the powerplay time they get as well. Matthews has more goals on the powerplay than Ovechkin the past 3 seasons with over 220 minutes less on the powerplay.
I think the Leafs are perfectly fine on the powerplay in the regular season, but it's a very real concern that it keeps drying up in the playoffs. Particularly in elimination games

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think the Leafs are perfectly fine on the powerplay in the regular season, but it's a very real concern that it keeps drying up in the playoffs. Particularly in elimination games
They just need to shoot more instead of playing a possession game looking for the right shot.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
But we've also seen him operate like he doesn't want to piss AM or MM off.
Dont want to piss a player or two off? Dont coach in the NHL go coach Atom hockey. I like what Cooper did benching those 3 yesterday for the 3rd period yesterday.
This league needs more tough coaches to light a fire under these overpaid snowflakes. Same goes for little softy at the negotiation table Dubas. I dont give a shit how good he is with "advanced stats" and a calculator hes a sucker at contract time. Enough is enough, time to step up or kick rocks in april

Fan from AK

May 19, 2021
Alaska
As a Lightning fan I pray that the Bolts don't play your team just to be a footnote that your team made it past the first round. The way things are going, I hope the Bolts don't even make the playoffs to punish the team that has the pick

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Dont want to piss a player or two off? Dont coach in the NHL go coach Atom hockey. I like what Cooper did benching those 3 yesterday for the 3rd period yesterday.
This league needs more tough coaches to light a fire under these overpaid snowflakes. Same goes for little softy at the negotiation table Dubas. I dont give a shit how good he is with "advanced stats" and a calculator hes a sucker at contract time. Enough is enough, time to step up or kick rocks in april
It certainly didn't work for Cooper.

Plus it never made sense for Cooper to do it. Team has been to 3 cups in a row winning 2 of them.

Keefe could maybe use it as a tool.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I'd like to see Gustavsson get a shot on the #PP.
Tight??
When players stop skating, don't defend each other there are sides being choosen.
Bunting is not defending his bro like he did.
Seriously to move Kerfoot to #1 line with no goals in 19 games...Bunting and his bro have issues. I don't see a team, even among the players who have been together, not many shin pad slaps, little talking at face offs, less communicatoons on the bench. JT seems to be consistent, the rest seem cold.
Nobody knew about Ottawa until the roof came off.

To be honest, I heard a lot of this talk back in late October. After some winning streaks, that talk tends to dissipate.

You think Bunting is the issue? And who's his bro, Matthews?

Sorry, but the evidence is pretty tenuous at this point that there's a rift on the team. Look what was being said about Marner 5 months ago and nobody has taken any accountability for that.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC

For a first game back after injury, Murray was faced with multiple breakaways and odd man rushes (this doesn't even show the save on the two-on-zero from earlier in the game). Two goals on breakaways, one on a pinball deflection, and one on a tap in because our defence can't clear the zone. Don't care who's in net, you're not beating any good teams giving up those kinds of chances.

This isn't addressed at you, but its telling that Murray can get the benefit of the doubt on that pinball deflection, but somehow Holl is the scapegoat on a shot that deflected off of a Canuck player and then in off of Holl.

Reactions: Jojalu

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Based on history and stats it's extremely unrealistic to expect 60 goals year in and year our. Look at Ovi, arguably the greatest goal scorer of all time and only one 60 goal season.

McDavid who is clearly the best player in the world, just hit 50 goals for the first time in his career.

AM34 is an amazing player, but he is not going to hit those numbers every year.

It’s not about historical probability whether we should expect Matthews to score 60 every year or not. It’s about competitiveness and the pursuit of greatness. He’s staked claim to be the games second best player so the standard should be the pursuit of scoring excellence every year while starting to build real legacy building playoff success.

I’m not here for all the excuses that he’s already landed on the moon already so he’s just saving himself for the playoffs. His peers don’t seem to have any issues in pursuit of statistical excellence. If he’s he’s hurt and should rest. If it’s emotional load management and motivational issues, that would be disappointing.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
See these "Stanley Cup" comments all the time. Care to explain how beating the Leafs is like winning a Stanley Cup? More like it solidifies you as a bottom dweller.
I think he was making that comment based on what the troll from Vancouver said. Can’t remember what was said exactly, but of course it being a troll, I think you can make an educated guess.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think he was making that comment based on what the troll from Vancouver said. Can’t remember what was said exactly, but of course it being a troll, I think you can make an educated guess.
It all started with the Habs when they won a game against TB in the Finals and celebrated like crazy, then TB beat them the next game and Kuch mocked them by saying they won the Cup last game….That’s how the winning a Game means winning the Cup thing started.
We used it again when Jets beat us last year while literally being the worst 5 teams in the league and they celebrated like they won the Cup. And that’s where the beating the Leafs esp on HNIC is like winning the Cup for the other Canadian teams esp when they are in the bottom of the standing.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
It all started with the Habs when they won a game against TB in the Finals and celebrated like crazy, then TB beat them the next game and Kuch mocked them by saying they won the Cup last game….That’s how the winning a Game means winning the Cup thing started.
We used it again when Jets beat us last year while literally being the worst 5 teams in the league and they celebrated like they won the Cup. And that’s where the beating the Leafs esp on HNIC is like winning the Cup for the other Canadian teams esp when they are in the bottom of the standing.
Exactly. Tocchett coming out and literally sayong this is our Stanley Cup about last nights game didn't help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad