Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-1

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
maybe there's some culture issue because i feel like when free agents or marlies players first start with the leafs they bring some bite, but then over time they seem to mellow out.
Yep, when they see the top paid guys playing like p***yes, they say to themselves why should I bother doing anything worthwhile at my measly salary. The highly paid players set the tone for the rest of the team.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Keefe had all of the big boys out there with 3 and 4 minutes left in the game and down by one. There was a huge chance that we would get into a pulling our goalie situation, and we did. Who does he want out there when our goalie is pulled? The big boys of course. So he wanted to play these guys for 3 or 4 minutes straight? That was very poor planning for the expected 6 on 5 coming up.

Reactions: Buds17 and ACC1224

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
It's why 'Hits' is such a silly stat.
No one watched that game and felt the Leafs were the aggressor.
They were pretty much bullied all night.
Exactly, Reilly often has hits but they are ineffective almost 100% of the time.
In his young days he could punish.

Reactions: ToneDog

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Some fans understanding of the game hasn't evolved past Ringette.
In playoffs, it is often the team who play physical, wearing down the dmen of the opposition that win. Is that not one of the functions of 4th and sometimes 3rd lines. Clogging the neutral zone also involves hitting and physical play. There is still a place in hockey for intimidation, facewashes, rub outs...bullys are ok, this is not the school yard at recess. ( No guns allowed 😉)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It was so refreshing to watch Team Canada Jrs. take it to the Americans after falling behind 2-0. Americans did not score again and we went on to win 5-2.
Its was amazing to watch and there is nothing better than a physical, hard hitting, hockey game for your entertainment value.

That was a prime example of how the game was intended to be played.

My favourite Leaf's hit All-time .. Bill McCreary flattens Wayne Gretzky..

On the evening of January 3rd, 1981, a young Wayne Gretzky, head down and going East to West, got rocked at the blue line of the Toronto Maple Leafs by youngster Bill McCreary . It was the hardest hit of The Great One's career but it might've been deserved. Earlier in the game, he'd attempted to slewfoot Maple Leafs forward Laurie Boschman in open ice and it started a massive fracas... McCreary, in only his second game, might've been simply exacting a little revenge...

You know how tradionialst Leaf fans today are always looking and asking for more pushback, and its often the hitting component of the game the best way to "LEGALLY" handout payback. :wg:

Reactions: ACC1224 and ToneDog

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Its was amazing to watch and there is nothing better than a physical, hard hitting, hockey game for your entertainment value.

That was a prime example of how the game was intended to be played.

My favourite Leaf's hit All-time .. Bill McCreary flattens Wayne Gretzky..

On the evening of January 3rd, 1981, a young Wayne Gretzky, head down and going East to West, got rocked at the blue line of the Toronto Maple Leafs by youngster Bill McCreary . It was the hardest hit of The Great One's career but it might've been deserved. Earlier in the game, he'd attempted to slewfoot Maple Leafs forward Laurie Boschman in open ice and it started a massive fracas... McCreary, in only his second game, might've been simply exacting a little revenge...

You know how tradionialst Leaf fans today are always looking and asking for more pushback, and its often the hitting component of the game the best way to "LEGALLY" handout payback.

I guess that's the difference.
Some people enjoy watching hockey.
Some people enjoy watching the best player ever get brain damage on an unnecessary, dangerous, illegal retaliation hit that could have robbed us all of witnessing his greatness and/or given him permanent health complications for the rest of his life.
If you're looking for that kind of "pushback", you're going to need a time machine, not different players.

Reactions: meefer

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
They looked tired, probably hit the town in toronto after the win with the dads.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Rielly's back to leading the defense in ES goals against, even though he's missed 15 games
Problems with judging defensive play by goals against aside, it should be noted that 5 of those are into an empty net, 3 of those are 3v3, and most of our defense has missed games.
He's been on the ice for all of 4 goals at 5v5 in the 8 games since he's been back, while getting the toughest assignments, and playing the most minutes.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Some people enjoy watching the best player ever get brain damage on an unnecessary, dangerous, illegal retaliation hit that could have robbed us all of witnessing his greatness and/or given him permanent health complications for the rest of his life.
If you're looking for that kind of "pushback", you're going to need a time machine, not different players.
I'm all in favor of physical, punishing hockey...within the rules. Respected many a tough player, but the hits that were violent, purposeful, intended to injure...nope.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

As the commentator stated, "perfectly legitimate hit". Keep your head up Wayne.

Reactions: therealkoho

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Some give the impression they believe all hits should be illegal.
Nobody has ever said or indicated anything close to that. Some just recognize that hits are just another tool, not the be-all end-all some make them out to be, and that we shouldn't be celebrating dangerous hits to the head that could have serious long-term ramifications.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Keefe had all of the big boys out there with 3 and 4 minutes left in the game and down by one. There was a huge chance that we would get into a pulling our goalie situation, and we did. Who does he want out there when our goalie is pulled? The big boys of course. So he wanted to play these guys for 3 or 4 minutes straight? That was very poor planning for the expected 6 on 5 coming up.
Not to mention, we never seem to pull the goalie at the right time. It's always when we don't actually sustain any possession.... I know a lot of teams would pull the goalie out before the draw, but given that we were getting murdered in the faceoff circle last night, I think it would've made sense to wait until we actually got the puck and held it. :dunno:

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Jesus Mess, this is just an awful ignorant take
I started hockey at age 6.There was hitting then. They taught you how to check. We practiced it too (remember the gauntlet?). After 3 seasons they took it away for safety reasons. It never felt the same for me. I could no longer get up for a non-contact game. Stick handling and watching selfish hockey players hang on to the puck forever was really bad. I kept playing minor hockey, but it just sucked.

It really was figure skating. Or at the very least it was 'hold on to the puck as long as you can ignoring your team mates non-contact public skating'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad