Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-1

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Didn't get to watch, but telling that Nashville lost to the Habs tonight. Last night was really hard on both teams, the back to back after that kind of game is particularly tough.

Reactions: egd27 and LeafSteel

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Bobby McMann had a 99.6 xGF%, so it's pretty reasonable to say he's nearly the perfect hockey player. Solid showing for just his 2nd game, especially considering how useless everyone else was (except Samsonov/Liljegren/Sandin)

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Not an unexpected outcome considering how hard fought the game against Nashville was the night before.

Wasn’t a fan of putting Simmonds and Benn in at the expense of Timmins and Hunt.

I was disappointed by the lack of push back on the physical side, particularly with liberties taken by Chiarot and Walman. I kept waiting for Simmonds to respond but nothing….

McMann was robbed but he’s acquitted himself well in his starts and deserves to stay up longer.

Lost a chance to make up some ground on the Bruins but here’s to a good bounce back effort next game against them.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
also i know our PP has been better of late but i cant be the only one noticing the never have anyone within a country mile of the fron of the net, its like they are reverse PKing with that stupid box.

can you just go away? holy ****
I've mentioned it several times. Tavares tends to look for the pass or rebound, but rarely actually screens the goalie when a shot is coming.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I mean without Matthews the team has fared well in the past so I wouldn't let these last two games mean anything .. there's adjustment time. Second half of a back to back is tough. Couldn't grind it out tonight.
We actually had secondary scoring in the past, unlike this year. So it definitely means something.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
5th game in 8 nights, less than 24 hours after their last game.
Down Matthews and Brodie.
Wish they'd won, not surprised they didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LeafSteel

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Meh

The team is going to have the odd stinker over an 82 game regular season, we just didn't have it tonight but I thought Samsonov gave them a chance to win they didn't really deserve

Bring on Boston, let's see how the boys come out with a bit of motivation

Reactions: LeafSteel

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
With Mathhews gone why dont Keefe make a 1st line out of Tavares Marner Nylander.
Bunting Holmberg jarnkrok 2nd line. Was Nylander RW again? If so why after 1 game? And Simmonds????????????? Probably a perfectly sane explanation, but from the outside it looks like bad coaching.

Reactions: geo25

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
With Mathhews gone why dont Keefe make a 1st line out of Tavares Marner Nylander.
Bunting Holmberg jarnkrok 2nd line. Was Nylander RW again? If so why after 1 game? And Simmonds????????????? Probably a perfectly sane explanation, but from the outside it looks like bad coaching.
His dad was there to watch for probably the last time.

Reactions: Mr_Fun and ZEBROA

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Kerfoot out there looking like a headless chicken was painful to see. we all know he's bad, but that was new levels of bad yesterday.

A game like that was begging for Nick Robinson.

The most glaring thing to me is just how little offensive depth there is without Matthews. He's pretty indispensable to this team.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He's been productive, but his energy levels looked pretty low tonight.
Most of the team had energy levels that looked pretty low tonight, because they were on the 2nd half of a back to back, playing against a rested team. Pretty weird to pick out and suggest sitting the hottest guy on the team right now, who has scored or assisted on the team's last 5 goals, especially when our other #1 center is already out injured.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Also, Keefe is a moron for playing Simmonds and Benn. There was absolutely no reason to change up a winning lineup especially when Timmins has been excellent.
Simmonds provides absolutely nothing. Put in hunt at least? Mcmann has been fantastic and should not be coming out even when papi comes back.

Also why the f*** is he babcocking holling timmins? Dude is a legit top 4. So fking dumb.

Lastly, Sammy sub 900 but goddamn what a game from him. He was absolutely outstanding. Multiple 10 bellers and a legit SOTY play.

Also, when our top 4 is on the ice we can get by without having a solid winger. But when one of them is unavailable, we look toothless. A top 6 winger is a priority. (And yes I know we've got a good record without Auston, but offense is hard to come by obviously).

Reactions: leafsfan5 and geo25

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Leafs Looked Lethargic. There were bursts of energy where they took it to the wings. But, overall, bad decision making all-around.

Putting Benn in over Timmins was more egregious than Simmonds in imo. Benn couldn't make a first pass out of the zone to save his life which is why his line was hemmed in more frequently. Not to mention, rielly needs a defensively responsible partner.

McMann should stick over hunt.

Bunting's effectiveness decreases as the number of franchise players he plays with drops.

Kerfoot is what he is. He is why I believe the Leafs should go after a Center like Bennett instead of a winger, in case one of our top 2 gets injured again.

Samsonov kept the Leafs in it for the most part.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I need to get this off my chest but the refs tonight sucked.

Bunting gets a stick in his face and his helmet falls off and no penalty. Tavares barley slashes at a Red Wings player stick and gets 2:00 minutes, where as Liljegren gets his stick slashed in half and no penalty is called. Right before Detroit's 2nd goal Kerfoot gets his sticked kicked away and that's why they scored and no penalty is called.

Welcome to USA TV Network money keeping Americans interested while the small country up north who pays easily half the league can go Eff themselves.

Bettman is horrible for hockey

First goal was the same horrible crap by Reilly everyone was talking about...

FFS

Reactions: Al14

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Kerfoot out there looking like a headless chicken was painful to see. we all know he's bad, but that was new levels of bad yesterday.

A game like that was begging for Nick Robinson.

The most glaring thing to me is just how little offensive depth there is without Matthews. He's pretty indispensable to this team.
Kerfoot seems almost unplayable

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Off nights occur but the lack of push back is so disappointing.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Pretty lousy game for TOR. Their skates weren't there, they couldn't make passes, missed assignments (Kerfoot), hanging the goalie out to dry, etc.

They'll play better Saturday.

Let's move on, but maybe bash Kerfoot a little more.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
It's why I don't believe this franchise will win a S.C in my lifetime. It's not that they can't, any team that makes the post season can, but I look at the players and outside of Muzzin, I don't see many I'd want in a foxhole with me. The Leafs like safe, marketable corporate players. It's a corporation and run like one.

The biggest eye opener for me was when Scotty Bowman, yes THAT Scotty Bowman, offered to coach and G.M the team sometime in the early 2000s and the rumor was that he said he would do the job, on one condition, MLSE gives him his budget (pre Cap) at the beginning of the season and then leave him alone.

They refused to allow him that autonomy and declined further interest The guy who tutored under Toe Blake.

The team needs vinegar in the lineup and it is difficult to find. I read that Dubas was interested in Josh Manson and also Josh Anderson before they were traded so I think he wants some strong willed players, but his assets aren't unlimited when they go for it each year with this core but the team doesn't win a round.

I don't care how well they know players, how good he is in the lockeroom or how comfortable they are with him, they need some players, even rentals, that make people a little uncomfortable with losing.
BINGO!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad